August 29, 2014 | 1012 users online

Lipstick - Kevyn Aucoin - The Expert Lip Tint

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2011 9:03:00 AM More reviews by daintydancer

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Pro review for a veteran UK senior MUA. Another belter from Kevyn Aucoin, who thankfully had just created his own cosmetic line, sadly just before he passed away nearly 10 years ago. Leaving the MUA community devastated. He was the most, creative, innovative, pioneering genius MUA of our generation. Eric Sakas, Kevyn's long term trusted friend, now steers this ship. as creative director and President. Absolutely what I expected, soft creamy buttery texture, high colour pay off, fantastic wearable shades for all skin tones. Some will complain about the price, but you simply get what you pay for, PRO QUALITY.Even if you buy 1 only, treasure having a little piece of the maestro, because he can never be replaced or replicated. It's not often you read a review like this from me, but I absolutely love his whole line. It's nearly 10 years since he passed. His name, books and products will live on forever, I SALUTE YOU. Kevyn the iconic MUA. KEVYN the man. R.I.P, we miss you dearly

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2011 4:38:00 PM More reviews by CoonieR

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

What a disappointment. I hate being the lone negative review (maybe I got an old tube), but this stuff was RANCID. The smell was absolutely horrible--like melted plastic, and it was so strong that I could still smell it after removing it with Clinique's Take the Day Off.

The color I got, Leaharia, wasn't bad--it's a matte nude with a slightly pink tone. The formula wasn't drying, but not moisturizing either. It was definitely not special enough to make me overlook the rancid plastic smell.

The few KA products I own besides this are great (the e/s is wonderful and the e/s brushes are HG material), but this was not worth the $23 I paid for it. Back to Beauty.com it goes!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2008 9:18:00 PM More reviews by lslouffm

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

I won't buy other lipstick anymore -- no other lipstick performs for me like these. I have ThelmaDora and Dantique; I'm almost out of Dantique and the local store in Vancouver doesn't have it, so I'm going to have to search high and low online.

ThelmaDora is a fantastic light pink / beige, and Dantique is the only red I can wear, found after a long search for red lipstick (others were either too blue or too orange for my skin). Neither of these comes off on my teeth -- but every other lipstick I've ever owned has. I've found them to be long-wearing (especially the ThelmaDora, which is newer). Both are moisturizing, although they don't repair chapped lips (nor are they meant to).

No other line comes close in terms of colour, texture, or durability for me. Another plus is that they age well; most other lipsticks I have, no matter how expensive (e.g., Trish McEvoy, Stila) get that waxy, grandmotherly lipstick smell and consistency after 6 months or so. Not so with these; my Dantique is 2 years old and still a joy to apply & wear.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2008 2:43:00 PM More reviews by Mirtika

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I've tried several of these in the last two months, and HANDS DOWN, my favorite is ENCHANTABERRY. Possibly the loveliest berry color I've tried in years.

I have medium olive skin (think LATINA skin, yellow undertones, but cool, not overly warm) and deep brown-black hair; brown-black eyes. My hair can look black in certain lighting, ditto the eyes. My skin is sort of like the color of coffee with some cream in it. (Darker than the popular Latinas--Penelope and Salma.)

So, that's a guideline for the way I respond to the colors:

ENCHANTABERRY: A FULL 5 out of 5: perfect. Subdued but with enough brightness that it doesn't make me look yellower. Has a slight brightening effect on my teeth, too. I will buy this again, no question. Adore it. I think the color is a berry that's suitably subdued that many skin tones and gradations can wear it and find it flattering.

PRINCIPESSA: 4: a much brighter version of the berry color. I tone it down with an underlayer of Enchantaberry some days. I use it when I want a bit more brightness (not garish, just brighter) berry color. It flatters my tone, but is not as elegant and wearable as Enchantaberry.

KATANATURA: 3: a bit too brown for me. Makes my lips (already strongly pigmented with a natural sort of plummy color like many Latinas) look too brown for my taste. Doesn't give that nice "brightening" effect that I want in lipstick. I do think it's a nice color and many will find it a great daytime color, but it dulls me.

ThelmaCora: 3: This works as a nude for me, like when I go to the gym and don't want to look made up.

Dantique: 4: a pretty soft red color. This is my second fave Aucoin. Still a bit more brown that my tone likes, but so nice, so gentle, a red that many will be able to wear without feeling overdone.

I also really like his lip pencil and brow pencils. The brow pencil is now one of my Holy Grail items, as is Enchantaberry.

About the formulation: very creamy, very lip-softening and nourishing. This means it just doesn't last long. I reapply OFTEN. I don't mind doing that so much, but for those of you who need a long-lasting lipstick--this is NOT it. This is a nurturing lipstick, which has kept my lips from doing their usual chapped-up-arama. My lips are really, really soft when I use these.

The Smell: I love it. It's like roses, rose water, like that. If you hate the smell of roses, be warned.

The case: I'm huge on red. Love black and red. So, the intense metallic case is a lot of fun, if lacking in elegance. It's sleek and bold, but not "pretty." I like it.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2007 9:41:00 AM More reviews by gna

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like the colors I purchased. However, the texture, while smooth, is overrated. These lipsticks aren't drying, but they're far from being moisturizing. I bought ThelmaCora and Sucara. ThelmaCora is a medium beige nude with warm pink tones that looks far more natural with my coloring and dark/mauve lips than Leaharia, which washed me out. It's a nude I can wear alone, without other makeup. Sucara is a light bronze with orange and gold tones which also works beautifully with my complexion. Both have nice shimmer, which is why I bought them. These are good lipsticks, but no better than some better high-end lines. Also, the packaging could be improved--the tube is too square and bulky.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2007 8:21:00 PM More reviews by INDICAN

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love these lipsticks. They are so smooth and look so natural. They are not heavy at all, feel weightless. Best of all, I like the scent. I have already repurchased these and will continue to do so as long as they are available. Love these lipsticks so much.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2007 6:15:00 PM More reviews by mermaidmaenad

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

i just bought this in FALON. the most perfect l/s for my coloring ever..it is a pink with a peach base..like my other fave MAC SKEW, this is a wonderful ''grace kelly' color as i would call it..neutral with a bit of color.
i love it. i need more KA in my stash!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/19/2007 9:49:00 PM More reviews by Rhonan

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have this in LEAHARIA , KATANATURA and FLORALIA. I dearly love them all. I find that if I exfoliate my lips, use his lip pencil and 'lightly' apply, I am left with lucious natural sexy feeling lips. I am currently lemming his lip glosses, because these are so far fabulous under any lip gloss I have tried. Again, you only need the tiniest amount of product for a gorgeous effect.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/5/2007 11:47:00 PM More reviews by sparklemotion

I have this in Samilke - it definitely has an overpowering aroma of roses! It is a very bright pink on me; I would compare it to NARS Niagara. Goes on very smoothly though so I am very keen to try out other colours. But for now, this goes up for swap!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2007 2:43:00 PM More reviews by divafx

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I tried this when it first came out and loved it so much that I added almost all the colors to my pro kit. This lipstick is creamy, sinks into the lips well, and sets itself to avoid smudging and gives you long wear without dry lips. It truly just glides onto the lips. I love the pigmentation on this as well. You can take a lip brush and use the tiniest bit rather than applying from the tube (which I find to add too much pigment unless you want a really BOLD look). The colors come out as they are in the tube but the sheerness or boldness can be adjusted by the amount you use. They don't change colors when they hit your lips and the way they glide on almost reminds me of silicone slip you get from a good primer. I love that they are truly a stain for the lips meaning you get the long wear without the dryness or stiffness. The scent is kind of rose with a faint vanilla undertone. Everytime I use this on someone they want to know what it is and where they can buy it. I've never used it on anyone who just didn't fall in love with it. At my last fashion show all the models were lined up at my chair, leaving the other artists with empty chairs because they heard I had the "good stuff"...ie the Kevyn Aucoin lip products and cosmetics that made them look and feel good. They all loved the scent and the feel. One model commented that it just felt luxurious and made her feel beautiful. That's definitely what this lip product is about. Luxury, and a glamorous pampering feel. The packaging is gorgeous as well. I'd recommend these to anyone. Truly beautiful!