MAC #116 Blush Brush

4.3

Blush brushes are tricky. They can come overwhelming large or too small. I think getting one that fits your checks size perfectly (slightly smaller than it) works well and gives perfect control. I had been looking for the perfect blush brush for a long time. That's when I found the 116. First of all, it's natural bristles. I only use powder blush so this is perfect for picking up the right amount of product for powder). Also the shape fits my cheek bones perfectly!. What I also like is its shape. There is a small taper so that help with applying highlighter or for some precise application. Also the flat need of the brush makes it easy to apply the blush exactly where I want it. Most brushes are too fluffy and lack shape for the precision. However the 116 has enough fluffy to make blending easy and to prevent streaky application.
The bristles aren't super soft but for a natural bristle brush, that's what's expected. It's not too scarcity however and with proper care (I usually condition my 116 when I wash them), you can definitely retain the softness. Like everyone else here, I do experience shedding. I never use cream products for this brush and I would imagine doing so would results in extreme shedding. My brush usually sheds once every few applications or during washing. Washing is when it sheds the most. I definitely do think I would need to replace this brush after 2-3 years but lets see. I haven't found anything else in the market for my liking so despite this issue, I would definitely repurchase.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I have a small face and bought and returned this several times over the years, I felt it didnít have enough movement in the bristles and was too defined in its application. So Iíve used big fluffy brushes, or smaller cheap brushes that lose their shape, and streak, and have fallout, blah, blah, blah. So after spending $54 on a Hakuhodo brush, that was way too big for my face (but wonderful in so many waysÖitís definitely, one to check out if itís the type of brush youíre looking for), I decided to give this one more try. Hereís where I made my mistake in the past Ė I did not wash it from the start. This brush, like the other reviewer mentioned, has to break in, just a bit, and you have to wash it. Mine became so much softer after washing. A little fluffier, without exploding, thankfully, and the perfect size for my cheeks. It picks up the perfect amount of color and buffs beautifully. Mine does not shed, nor is it scratchy, but I made sure to test it on the underside of my wrist, to be sure it wasnít ďpokeyĒ, before I walked out of the store. I also, put a small drop of light oil in my hands, rubbed them together, and the swiped the brush across my hands and worked it in a little Ė then washed it. I thought it really helped to condition the brush. I have not found this size and shape in any other brand, and I canít believe how much time and money Iíve spent on other brushes. Could it be softer, sure, but the 168 is quite soft and I found itís application for blush, quite patchy and inconsistent, so this is the brush for me.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I bought this brush over three years ago and it's still SHEDDING! It probably sheds 40-50 bristle strands per use. This is extremely frustrating as I'm constantly picking bristles off my face, making the contouring process much more time consuming.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

HOLY GRAIL BLUSH BRUSH! I always use this to apply my blush and it makes all my blushes look amazing on me. The application is smooth and super easy to use. I highly recommend to anyone looking to splurge on a blush brush. Highly quality and I highly recommend.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

This is a lovely blush brush. I tried the 129 and found it a bit too big for my cheeks so I returned it. This brush fits perfectly on the apples of my cheeks. Its dense bristles picks up and blends just the right amount of product. If using a highly pigmented blush, use a light hand. One light tap into the blush would be enough to cover the cheeks and to avoid that clown look. I also use this brush for contouring. The tapered part of the brush makes it easy to get contouring color right at the hollows of the cheeks. Its not super soft, but not rough either and it retains its shape really well after washing. I've had this brush for over 4 years and haven't experienced any shedding; I must be one of the lucky ones. Very satisfied with the purchase.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I love MAC brushes, but I'm not a fan of this brush. It is in between the size of the 129, and the 109. But, It has kind of a paddle shape, so I find it hard to apply blush with. It's made of natural natural, and it sheds a ton. I had it for a couple months before I finally returned it. I like to use the 168 to apply blush.

This brush isn't great. Mine is still shedding TO THIS DAY (I've had it for 6 months), and it applies alright but the amount of shedding is just off-putting, and also gets in the way of application. I know that shedding varies brush to brush, so keep that in mind. Comparably though, the Nars Yachiyo is 10x better than this brush easily, in terms of application, packaging, shedding, everything. I think there are better brushes out there, simply put. I regret this brush.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

The size is perfect. Perfect for small faces, more precise application, blending and sculpting. The form is also good, a rounded but flat on both sides slightly tapered brush.

BUT I dont like that it feels sort of rough. AND IT SHEDS! That is a big no no. I spent a good amount on this brush so I expected it to be durable.

I will be searching for a new blush brush.

My HG blush brush - love love love! It doesn't shed, it provides the perfect amount of blush, and it lasts forever. I love this brush!

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

I've suffered major blush woes in my life, mainly because I've never found a brush that applies it exactly where I want and gives me complete control to use. Sigma, Real Techniques and Bdellium tools, I've used brushes from these brands but I never was completely satisfied with the outcome. But, all that has now changed since I bought the 116! The most recent brush to my collection, I utterly love it. I was so torn between the 129 and 116, but I'm so glad I went for the latter. It's small head applies the blush EXACTLY where I want it to be applied, and distributes colour on my cheeks evenly, no matter what the blush formula is, loose, sheertone, shimmer etc. I just turn it on it's side and then apply my blush upwards towards my hairline. I think it works so well because the hairs are natural, not synthetic. Very soft too. No more blush issues for me!

Popular Makeup Brushes