April 20, 2014 | 1721 users online

Primer/ Corrector - MAC - Matte

rated 4 of 5 on 2/3/2014 4:26:00 PM More reviews by Allmacedup10

I bought this intending to use it under foundation and powder for every day as I have oily skin. I found, however, that it tends to feel very heavy when I wear it underneath liquid foundation or even powder for every day. I gave up on it for a while until I began to wear eyeshadow on a daily basis. This is a great eyeshadow primer. If I don't use primer, the eyeshadow creases very noticeably by midday but with this as a base, my eyeshadow stays fresh and pigmented until the evening. IT goes on very smoothly and makes my skin feel really soft. I just think it's too heavy for every day use on my entire face as I am prone to acne break outs.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/31/2013 5:25:00 PM More reviews by irinahaapanen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Even though it's ment especially for oilier skin types, I think it suits perfectly for all skin types. It creates a super smooth, kinda powdery like (covering up most of those nasty pores!) surface on the skin, with a semi matte finish. And I think it's a all skin types - product?
'Cause it doesn't keep your skin oil free all day long, especially if you're prone to it. It won't make you greasy looking either, skin is more like dewy and glowy at the end of the day. It keeps your makeup put in all types of weather. It creates the perfect surface for applying your makeup. I think it's worth a try even if your skin is on the dryer side. And it'll last forever, 'cause a teeny tiny amount is enough. I think this would be better 'the basic skin primer of mac's' than the prep + prime skin. Just try it!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2013 12:30:00 PM More reviews by completelynumby

So pleased this stuff exists.

Brilliant mattifier for my normal/combination skin. It will prevent any makeup melting off the face throughout the day. If I use a generous amount, everything on my face just stays put. No need to touch up with powder sometimes!

And no breakouts so far.

Definitely a makeup staple for me. Worth every penny.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2013 2:35:00 PM More reviews by SydVicious3375

I really like this product. It's not an end all be all to oily skin, but it does help control the oil in my t-zone. After applying MAC oil control moisturizer, I apply a pea sized amount to fingers and dot it along my t-zone and then rub it in. If I have any residue left on my finger I rub that over the rest of my face, but I try to concentrate on my oily areas.

The matte gel formula feels very lightweight on the skin and it creates a super smooth surface to apply your foundation. I have combination skin and sometimes I can be oily on my t-zone but still have a little dry flakiness on my nose area. The matte gel helps to keep the flakiness from showing, especially if I am using a powder foundation like Studio Fix powder plus foundation. It doesn't make my skin oil free.... but at the end of the day my skin a less oily.

One tube really lasts a long time. Also, I try to avoid applying this to my eyes. I don't treat this product as a primer really, only as oil control.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/24/2013 12:32:00 PM More reviews by smashlers

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I had high hopes for this product as the SA explained to me that it is designed for oily skin. I am not a huge fan of how it goes on your skin - almost like nothing - but then feels very greasy once it's applied. This primer caused my eye makeup to crease and did not control my oil as I expected. My foundation was blotchy, and smearing all over my face within a few hours. I will not repurchase and I am very disappointed! Maybe this would be good for someone who needs some moisturizing under their foundation?
I'm going back to my Laura Mercier Oil Free Primer because it controls my oil perfectly under every foundation I have tried.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2013 6:17:00 PM More reviews by stls

Pros:
- Mattifies instantly
- Creates a silky smooth surface
- Does a pretty good job to prevent concealer creasing
- Didn't break me out
- Hygienic tube
- Good amount of product

Cons:
- Doesn't really control oil for long
- Price

I have repurchased it many times but now I'd like to try something else.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2013 3:32:00 AM More reviews by JaneWhit99

I bough MAC Matte for $20 at Macys . This primer/corrector adds a sheer matte texture. I use this all over my face (forehead, cheeks, nose, chin, eyelids) before applying foundation. Since using this my makeup has stayed on twice as longer and does not crease my eye makeup. This primer creates a great surface for applying and achieving a great look!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/16/2013 12:59:00 AM More reviews by makeupsnob18

I bought Mac Matte for $20, looking for a good primer that would keep me matte throughout the day, as I tend to get a little shiny down my t-zone. It has the consistency of a gel, but glides on your skin as if you're not putting anything on. Once blended, it feels so incredibly smooth and even, and it fills in pores and fine lines. It creates a beautiful, even canvas to put makeup on top off. The BIGGEST downside to this is the first week-or-so of using it. I don't have sensitive skin by any means, and I have no allergies to silicone, but this broke me out worse than I have EVER broken out before. I say this without any exaggeration, I have pretty clear skin, but this messed my face up. After the first day, I had huge, swollen, painful red bumps all over my face, but they weren't white heads or normal pimples. I believe the heaviness and the silicone irritated my skin, and on top of that, the product was blocking my pores. The first week was hell for my skin. However, if you can deal with caking on the makeup to cover the blemishes, after the first week, give or take a few days, this product really works well. My skin got used to it pretty quickly, my bumps cleared, and I was able to use this everyday without irritation or breakouts. Foundation and other products blend FLAWLESSLY over this, and you'll look smooth and almost airbrushed all day. Matte - that's a different story. If this was called "MAC Smooth Airbrushed Cream", the name would work, but this only keeps me matte for about 2-3 hours. I don't get AS oily as I would without it, but still, if a product is going to be named "Matte", it should keep me completely matte all day. This also extends your makeup wear. My foundation doesn't cake or disappear throughout the day. It clings to makeup, but I feel this does rub off pretty easily. Over MAC Matte, makeup is more likely to transfer if it isn't set with a good powder. Overall, I like this primer, and I will continue to buy it, since my skin is now used to it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2013 11:10:00 PM More reviews by missmanic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought this product a few years ago. I have very oily skin and have tried lots of different products to keep it at bay. This just didn't work for me, and I recently used it in Back2MAC with product still left in the tube. While it did make my my skin look matte upon application, it also felt packed with silicones and gave my skin a weird slip...which made my foundation apply weird. It was almost as if my foundation wasn't setting, and was just sliding around my face. It also make my foundation look as if it wasn't concealing as well. Not for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2013 9:02:00 PM More reviews by Topgunella

I am so happy to have found this. I use this on my t zone befire foundation and need no touch ups in the day. It is heaven sent for us combination skin