July 28, 2014 | 1013 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - #217 Blending

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2014 9:29:00 AM More reviews by HottSauce

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

My workhorse of my eye brushes. I would be in deep trouble and wouldnt know what to do without this brush. How did I ever NOT blend my eyeshadows before?! I think everybody needs a blending brush and this is it. I have the Christmas edition so mine has a shorter handle that's clear and sparkly. It takes harsh colors and makes them smoother and transitioned. It gives harmony to my eyeshadows. Has not shed on me and still like new. Get a blending brush and get this!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/5/2014 6:30:00 PM More reviews by miatx5

One of my top 5 must have brushes. I am fairly new to make up. I only started wearing makeup in my 30s. This blush is great for blending & applying eyeshadow. I recommend this brush to all my friends. There are good dupes to the brush, but if you want to splurge on a good brush, do it on this one.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/5/2014 5:29:00 PM More reviews by yaya49

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This brush is just the best! I've had it for about two years and it works just as great as when I first got it. It makes applying and blending eyeshadow a breeze. Idk how I did my eyeshadow without this for so long. It's worth every single penny. I also have the 224 and this is sooo much better. I don't I will ever buy another blending brush. Buy it you won't regret it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2014 4:37:00 PM More reviews by LUVrascal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Great brush. Works so well at applying and blending cream shadows. The size is perfect for applying color in the crease and buffing color onto the lid. It does tend to have a few hairs here and there that stick out after washing no matter how I try to reshape it... and it was like that from day one. But otherwise I have no complaints. It doesn't feel scratchy at all either. Reasonable price and so far it's held up well this past year. A must have brush!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2014 1:14:00 PM More reviews by hendenm

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

When writing this review there were 911 reviews which tells me this brush is popular! I love love this brush so much and was one of the first ever Mac brushes I bought. I own 5 of these brushes and use them for so much. I use them for applying colour on the lid (not just the Mac 239), applying colour in the crease (not just the Mac 224) fantastic for highlighting the cheek bones. Just a smidge of Mac Vanilla pigment using this brush looks fab. Never had any shedding with this brush and washes up a treat.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2014 1:40:00 AM More reviews by spaingirl87

at first i thought this brush would be too big, but it is perfect. Definitely superior to the essence brushes and chapman brushes. It blends everything so nicely, soft but not too soft that is does the job it is suppose to without going all over the place, doesn't shed. This is a definite must of all the mac brushes

rated 4 of 5 on 5/16/2014 8:11:00 PM More reviews by sabbia

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Now I know what all the hype on this brush is about. It lives up to everything I've read and more.

I had been quite content with my 20yr. old crease brush (brand unknown) to apply shadow to my crease and an ecoTools eye brush to blend when needed but when the kids asked me what I wanted for Mother's Day, I decided it was the best time to try out a more expensive blending brush. I narrowed it down to the It Cosmetics "No‑Tug" Heavenly Luxe Dual Eyeshadow Brush and the MAC #217.

As a blending brush, the It Cosmetics No Tug brush won out (hope to write a review on that product later) because it is fuller and much more soft. But after using the #217 instead to apply eyeshadow to my crease area I was absolutely blown away by the results! Even the cheapest ELF eyeshadows go on my 50+ yr old crease area so incredibly smooth leaving the softest and most seamless finish. I realize now what a difference a quality brush makes.

I also think the shape of the #217 makes it extremely versatile. The width of the brush fits perfectly in my crease area and the pointed edge allows application of another transition color below the brow when desired. As I said previously, it isn't the softest brush but there must be something about the goat hair bristles that deposits eyeshadow in the perfect manner.

If I hadn't tried the It No Tug brush, I probably would have been quite happy using the #217 as a blending brush also. But, for me, it really excels in depositing shadow...it does it so well, in fact, that I often don't even have to blend further.

I think this brush would be well worth the $24 especially considering it makes even the cheapest eyeshadows look high end.

UPDATE 5/29/14 - I freaked out when a good many of my 217's bristles splayed after washing it the first time, and even more the second time. No other brush I own has ever done this to me--ELF, EcoTools, Real Techniques, nor my 3 Christian Dior natural hair brushes. I was tempted to return it until I read that this is a common problem with the 217. After making a homemade brush guard, dampening the bristles, and drying overnight, the bristles returned to the original position. Although I may not return it, I'm still deducting a lippie for the aggravation.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2014 4:45:00 PM More reviews by ReggieJackson

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have one very similar to this which is seriously 30 years old. I have been using it more during the past few months and it has been bunching a bit at the base. I decided to buy another one. I can apply all my eyeshadow so quickly with this. It makes me look like a pro. I use the old one to blend at the end and my eyes look very good. It was about $30 Canadian including tax, but if it lasts me half as long as the original it will be worth it!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2014 11:24:00 PM More reviews by kblimm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I can seriously apply all of my eye makeup with this one brush if I really wanted to. I like to use my finger for my lid when I am in a hurry...I feel it is easier that way. However, this brush is perfect for the crease. It seems to hit my crease line just PERFECTLY. I have lots of MAC brushes, and this is my go-to in the morning for my eye makeup. If you are new to MAC brushes, purchase this one first for sure! It works wonders!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/26/2014 11:19:00 AM More reviews by TexasTracy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I know this brush is a cult favorite but I'm sorry to say I don't understand why. I have been buying MAC products since their release in Nordstrom stores. I still use some of the brushes I bought back then, like my #21 brush that proudly states "Made in France", on a daily basis. The quality of the last few MAC brushes I've bought is subpar. I baby my brushes which is why I can still use the ones I've bought so long ago but these brushes shed like crazy, the bristles are not soft and they splay terribly. For the cost of the #217 brush, I'm going to replace it with Wayne Goss' #6 Blending Brush. Shame on you MAC!

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No