Clairol Natural Instincts Hair Color

3.7

I literally just finished dying my hair with the 6G. I have to say I was pretty scared to do it. My natural hair colour is light brown with a lot of warmth to it and with lighter ends. The light brown I had was virgin hair. So, I followed the directions. Rinsed it off after 10 mins and I can sort of tell a different. I really wanted it a bit darker but with all the reviews saying Browns go really dark, I went with the 6 gold. My first purchase was the castings color creme in 5CB which was really what I was after. Just too scared for it to turn out black.

This is a review for the Clairol Natural Instincts 5 Medium Brown, former 20 Hazelnut. A little over a month ago I used Garnia Olia and while it worked okay, I wanted to try something else because the way it faded left me looking in need of a serious dye job! I picked this up after a friend who has been using it for over 10 years suggested I give it a try, price is very inexpensive (I want to say this is like the second or third cheapest dye that I saw). It was very easy to apply, instructions very clear, and I really like that you only have to leave it on for 10 minutes! I felt like there wasn't enough product in the bottle and I used the very last drops, not sure if this is because my hair has gotten longer or what, but either way it ended up being fine. The conditioner included left my hair feeling soft and silky and I have not noticed any damaging effects from the dye as of yet. Now, I have to say...this dye has EXCELLENT coverage. It is not splotchy or weird looking in any places and it looks even throughout. Which is a PLUS especially because I'm always worried I'll miss a spot. I have to be honest, but the color is a bit darker than I expected but I do like it. On me, it looks more like a very dark brown/nearly black but I'm assuming this will fade with a few washes so no big deal. I'll try and post a picture of the results on here if I figure out how to. The color is also very glossy and not flat, which is a huge plus! Overall, I am very pleased with how this turned out BUT I would caution some people if they want a lighter shade of brown to pick a light brown over a medium because this may be too dark for some. I will most likely repurchase again, in a month or so when it fades.

Wow, okay, I am amazed that this worked for me as well as it did. I used the color Nutmeg/Dark Brown.

I am trying to transition away from henna - I do like henna a lot, it's a great thing for hair but it's too time consuming for me now that I am a mom. I just don't have several hours to devote to it anymore. I've been trying to get back to my natural dark brown hair color as close as possible and I have been having a hard time with permanent dyes. I kept getting hot roots and I could NOT understand why - all I wanted was to get natural looking dark brown hair and to cover my minimal grays! Not to much to ask, is it?!

I realized that the 20vol developer in most dyes were lifting, when I did not want lift. So out of desperation I thought I would give a demi permanent a try before throwing in the towel.

Anyway! So I used this in Nutmeg and it gave me the results I needed!!! Sorry for the exclamations, but I've been so fed up with all the dyes I've used, and getting crappy results. It's such a relief to find something that works for me. This gave me dark brown hair AND covered my grays and the whole process was done in less than 20 mins while my baby was napping. Yes! Quick and easy!

At first, the color was very dark, just a touch lighter than black. After a few washings it became the perfect coffee brown, semi sweet dark chocolate brown, Coca Cola brown, etc, you get the idea. Perfect. It looks exactly like my "virgin" color.

It's been over two weeks since I dyed it, with almost daily shampoos, and my grays are still covered and I can't believe it. It has faded a touch but not much and it looks so natural. Looks like I have never dyed it.

It left my hair feeling just the same as before, too. Not dry at all like with permanent dyes. The dye itself kind of smelled nice too, fruity or something. I also like the large tube of conditioner, plenty for several weekly treatments. Smells great too, like a pina colada or something similar.

I'm really super pleased with Natural Instincts Nutmeg. Hopefully it continues to hold up for at least a few more weeks. I think I finally found my color!

UPDATE: Okay, so the Nutmeg lasted me for a month with daily washing before my grays were super noticeable. 4 weeks is about average for me for permanent colors, I've had some permanent dyes wash out in like two weeks, actually. So that's impressive.

I chose to use Hazelnut Medium Brown this time to see if it would work as well as Nutmeg without going through that super dark/almost black color phase. The medium brown did not cover my grays at all. Some grays are lightly tinted but still really noticeable. So, bummer. Maybe I should have left it in a few minutes longer. But I I'm definitely sticking with Nutmeg from now on since it worked so well for me.

I have been dying my hair a "black/brown" or "chocolate brown" for about 5 years, using various brands. Most recently I have been using Olia for probably 3 years.

I bought natural instincts because it was on sale and I was pressed for time. I really love it and will be switching to this!

color: I bought black-brown, and the color turned out as expected, I left it on for 20 mins. Covered all grey.

smell: so happy that this stuff smelt really good! Did not smell like I dyed my hair at all.

other: my hair was always staticy after dying from the drying effects of permanent color. Even when using Olia which is supposed to be ammonia free my hair felt dry for days. I'm happy to report that my hair feels soft, and has no static after using Natural instincts.

What a rip off! Can't tell I dyed my hair.
I even left it in for longer than recommended.
Would never ever recommend this product to anyone.
I feel cheated.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I decided to switch to this demi-permanent hair color after using permanent color for almost 20 years (used Nice 'N Easy for about 5 years, then Revlon Colorsilk the rest of the time, both of which are nice), so this was my first time using anything other than permanent color. Because my hair is now about 40% gray, it's gotten drier and unhealthy over the years, especially with permanent color, thus why i switched to demi.
Other reviews were right about some things: it turns out darker than expected, so knowing this beforehand, i chose a shade about 2 shades lighter than my natural color, which is very dark brown (with 40% gray). Also, people said to leave it on longer than the recommended time if you have gray hair, and sure enough, i left it on for a total of 30 minutes (the box says 20 minutes is the maximum time for gray), 25 minutes for the roots (had regrowth), and then i used what was left on the length for 5 minutes. It actually smells really nice, a lot nicer than other box dye i've used. Also, it's much more gentler, as permanent color always made my scalp sting a bit, and this didn't at all.
I love it! It totally covers my gray, is easy to use, and relatively inexpensive (it's about twice as expensive as the other permanent box colors i was using, but is much cheaper than going to a salon). What's nice also is that because i'm "salt and pepper" naturally, when i color with a much lighter color than my normal color, it makes it multidimensional and almost looks like highlights (because the grays get colored but my natural color stays the same).
The only con i'd say is that it doesn't last as long as permanent color (about 3 weeks to a month), but that's to be expected since it's demipermanent.

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I bought Natural Instincts Crema Keratina in Chocolate Brown because I wanted to give my natural (and healthy) dark brown hair a little change. I had not colored my hair in about 2-3 years, but after reading that it only lasts 28 shampoos (and that it has keratin and coconut oil) I decided to give it a try, thinking that it wasn't going to be bad for my hair, but boy was I wrong! this stuff sucks!

I used it as directed and left it on my hair for 20 mins. After I washed it off I immediately noticed the change on the condition of my hair, it used to be shiny and silky soft, but after rinsing it off it felt brittle and dry!! not to mention it left my scalp with a burning sensation and a stinky smell (like permanent color) on my hair, that took about 3 days to come off. After styling it as usual I became even more upset, it's no longer shiny and soft like it used to, it now feels stiff and it has no movement!

It's been over a week and the color is still there, it should be sold as a permanent hair color since it won't come off after 28 shampoos like advertised! I regret using this product and I'm definitely NOT using it ever again!!

I don't recommend anyone to use it if you have healthy hair and don't want to damage it. This stuff will damage it just like a permanent hair dye.

Edit: I forgot to add that I have a few gray hairs and it didn't cover them at all! so not only it doesn't wash out after 28 shampoos but it doesn't cover grays either. Don't buy this stuff!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This review is for color 3G - light golden blonde.

I used this to tone down highlights that were too light. They were platinum blonde, while my natural hair is medium ash brown, so they looked more like grey streaks than highlights. My hair is thick and somewhat dry.

The application was a pleasant surprise; it didn't put that chemical burn in the air that makes my eyes water, and it also didn't smell! I also only had to leave it on for 10 minutes.

The result is gorgeous! The highlights are now the perfect golden blonde. The dye also warmed my natural ash brown, but didn't noticeably lighten it. Everything turned out better than I'd hoped for. Considering I only paid $5 for the box, I'm very pleased!

My hair feels just as nice as it did before the dye - it seems the dye didn't damage my hair which is a first time for me, because every other dye I've used has made my hair frizzy and parched.

Based on what my hair is like, what I used the dye for, and the end result, I'd imagine this would be *excellent* for gray hair. In case anyone with thick gray hair is looking for hair dye, try this first!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I couldn't be happier that Sedona Sunset (Reddish Brown, 16RG ) is back! It's my favorite color ever, and I hope it sticks around for good, this time. It's a gorgeous shade of golden reddish brown, just as the name implies. Previously, I was using Cinnamon Stick (Medium Warm Brown), and I have found Sedona Sunset to be a lighter, more vibrant shade, that still looks completely natural. I have always avoided Cinnaberry like the plague, because I would look positively dreadful in the cool, eggplant-purple hues that I've seen it bestow on others. :) If you're warm-toned, like me, and if you're looking to add some red to your hair, definitely give Sedona Sunset a try! :)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I bought Clairol Natural Instincts in Linen thinking it would be an ash tone. It turned my hair bright brassy orange. I tried everything to remove it - baking soda, apple cider vinegar, dandruff shampoo, even added blue food coloring to my shampoo and conditioner, LOL! However, it's been months of DIY removal efforts and the color hasn't faded a bit, I just have 2" roots! That stuff is industrial strength color--I would not at all call it demi-permanent. So, it's off to the salon for me for a correction.

I had previously used Clairol Beautiful in Champagne from Sally Beauty Supply, which is a nice, natural color, but I bought the Natural Instincts in a pinch, as the drug store is closer to my house than the Sally Beauty Supply. From now on I will be sure to have plenty of the Clairol Beautiful on hand.

I do not recommend Clairol Natural Instincts if you want natural, subtle, healthy-looking color.

Top Rated Clairol Products