October 23, 2014 | 1696 users online

Fragrances - Coty - Jovan Musk for Women

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/19/2014 8:14:00 AM More reviews by valmont32677

I soooo wanted to like this!! It was only US$4.99 + tax. I looooved Bonne Bell Skin Musk & Body Fantasy White Musk is pretty decent but not my fave (prefer BB Skin Musk over it by far however I mean BB skin musk is 1 of my favest DS perfumes ever esp the oil!!!). Anyways I digress. I guess I don't have a true sense of appreciation for musks how ever much I wanted to like them!! I am starting to think musks are an acquired taste so I might going to keep on wearing my Jovan until it's used up but won't repurchase. UNLESS I start getting compliments on it lol as I haven't worn it out & about. To me it's a headache inducing nauseating mess. Just let me stick to my BB Skin Musk instead! <3 I get a sore throat when I spray this so I am glad it's prob the smallest bottle they make! ;/

rated 2 of 5 on 11/23/2013 6:59:00 PM More reviews by tillyny

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My husband bought me this for my birthday last year...it was always my "signature scent" -- soft, clean and feminine -- when I was younger. It surprised me that even an hour later I couldn't smell it at all--neither could hubby. In researching I found that Coty had taken over this particular brand and suddenly it all made sense.

To be sure, I bought a bottle of vintage Jovan Musk for Women on eBay...one that was manufactured long before Coty took it over. It just arrived today and oh, it just transported me back many many years. And three hours later that wonderful, but not overpowering scent is still there! And I feel really pretty when wearing it.

When will Coty stop messing with the really successful formulas -- watering them down and zapping their staying power? (Same thing happened with the Philosophy line as well.)

As for if I would buy it again? Yes, but only from those who are selling the ORIGINAL formula on eBay.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2013 2:38:00 PM More reviews by sillage

I just went to Rite Aid at lunch and bought the only two Jovan Musk Oils they had -- 1/3 oz bottles, with little stick dabbers in them -- $14.50 each. I then drove to the mall, sat in the car and opened one -- dabbed it on -- and entered Books A Million.

Then the lady manager, who was walking right behind me, enthusiastically & rather loudly exclaimed, "Ohhh, I LOOOOVE your perfume! What is it?"

I told her Jovan Musk Oil, and I pulled it from my purse and showed it to her. She knew it, nodded, and said she's always loved Jovan.

I'm a musk fiend -- always have been, ever since that very first magical drugstore find in my college years in Ann Arbor. That very first find was soooo sensuous (can't remember brand), but they're just not making them like that any more. Even the ones from the 70's that are still in production (Jovan original & Bonne Bell, for 2 examples) don't smell as good as they did back then -- they've mostly been bought out by other companies & reformulated. Plus the laws have changed in regard to the usage of natural musk.

I love not only straight-up musks, but also complex designer scents that contain a lot of musk. Nothing turns my head in public like a warm sensuous musky scent, either on a man or a woman -- mmmmm! I have memories of specific fabulous whiffs I've gotten in public from people I couldn't chase down and ask what they were wearing -- but their overall scent was warm & musky & very sensuous. For me, this beats florals or fruits any time, but especially in Fall/Winter and cool temperatures.

I have many musks in SPRAY form (Narciso Rodriguez for Her EDP & EDT, SJP Lovely, Jovan Musk, Jovan White Musk, Kiehl's Original Musk EDT, Coty Wild Musk, Fresh Musk Fantasy, Bonne Bell Skin, & more) ...

... plus many musks in OIL form (Coty Wild, Kiehl's Original Musk oil, Cabot, several Nemats, Earth by Vinci-Rakos, CO Bigelow, Body Time Egyptian, Auric Blends Egyptian & African & Love, Kuumba Made Arabian, The Body Shop's White & Japanese Musks, Alyssa Ashley, Dragonfly Blue Nile Musk, Bourbon French Musk, Bonne Bell Skin oil, and more).

I generally much prefer my musks in oil form -- they're just richer, smoother, and smell better without the alcohol carrier, to me.

From today's musk offerings (none of which is as good as musks were in the 70's, in my humble opinion), Jovan Musk Oil continues to be one of my favorites. It's golden warm, light, natural, & not animalic -- very nice.

I also have 2 bottles of fairly recent purchases of Jovan Musk for Women in spray form, but it's not nearly as concentrated and sensuous as when it first came out in the 70's. My sister used to wear the original spray back around 1975, and when she would walk past me on her way out for a date, she used to smell *incredible* in that spray -- just awesome! It's not like that any more, unfortunately -- they've weakened it considerably. Spray is still okay, but in today's weaker, sharper, and not as sensuous formula, I prefer oil form.

Jovan Musk Oil came out in 1973, and here are the notes, per parfumo.net:

Top Notes: Bergamot, Peach, Star anise
Heart Notes: Cocoa butter, Lavender, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes: Musk, Patchouli, Vanilla, Vetiver

One lippie off for the disappointment of not being as good as it used to be and not lasting like it used to. I'm always on the lookout for an outstanding musk that recaptures the richness and sensuousness of those 70's musks -- which now exist only in my memory.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2013 7:27:00 AM More reviews by lovelyswan

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

On me this is a clean musk - fresh, powdery with a hint of florals. Very simple, feminine and kind of sexy. Great to wear on it's own or for layering with other fragrances. Love this classic, affordable scent - a must have in my collection.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2013 12:15:00 AM More reviews by Cally79

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I haven't reviewed this fragrance and since I've been wearing it again lately and getting lots of compliments I thought it was time.

I've been wearing/smelling Jovan Musk for Women for over 30 years. I just bought a new bottle of the cologne concentrate today. I only have been using the spray cologne version again in the past couple of years.
My favorite is the oil perfume which I have never been without over the years. I am so glad that the oil is still available on store shelves.
Jovan Musk is a floral musk according to others I think it really warms up on the skin and it does last all day. Other people will still smell it on you (you'll smell warm and cuddle-worthy) after a long day and no re-application.

I think I've gained a new respect for the cologne spray. It dries down to a clean pretty scent.
I have tried any and every musk I can get my hands on. Keihl's isn't "me" too hairspray and sharp on my skin. I've always loved Skin Musk and own the oil, body spray and cologne. Coty's Wild Musk is a must have especially in cooler months. LV Musk is my favorite higher end musk with a rose-floral smell. I try cheapies and expensive ones all kinds because I love musk. Jovan White Musk is right up there as a favorite too. I wear it quite a bit.

I have a friend back home who always smelled so good. She's a beautiful classy lady who dresses immaculately and is very polished and professional yet super fun to be around. Once when I complimented her scent and asked her what it was she told me Jovan Musk. I thought I knew the scent pretty well but wow it was spectacular on her! That moment established this perfume as pure class in my mind.

I get to a point playing in my fragrance collection that a simple beautiful clean musk is my nose's re-boot. Plain ole square bottle with orange cap...won't ever call it the u word because the juice is beautiful. It's like the plain Jane girl with glasses who "get's all cleaned up" for the party with hair and make-up and leaves all the boys in awe. Jovan Original Musk for women is and will always be one of my top choices for gorgeous timeless simplicity.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/10/2012 1:29:00 AM More reviews by Shanplum

sorry guys but just don't see how this is sexy. Perhaps the formula has been changed since its creation and is letting it down. On me it just smells like Johnsons no more tears baby shampoo - wet and soapy but not even powdery soapy. Clean but thats it. The white musk is better but still rather weak. Would like to smell the original oil formulations!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2012 11:22:00 AM More reviews by troodos

I bought this as a child in the 70s and my mum liked it so much she bought some too. Since then my memories of my wearing if it and it evoking memories of my mum and the loving childhood she gave me are completely intertwined. This fragrance to me brings out deep memories of being about to grow up and all the excitement that came with that mixed with memories of snuggling up to my mum or reaching for her hand for reassurance in those times when I was happy to admit I was still a little girl. I still love to wear this now for all those reasons and more. It is soft, warm, comforting and sexy. How can one fragrance be so disarming and yet so erotically sensual? I don't know...but as this bargain price it should be in everyone's fragrance wardrobes. It will always be my favourite musk.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2012 4:26:00 PM More reviews by LizWords

I have both the spray and the oil and I definitely like the spray better. I thought I would like the oil better as I love the body shop white musk oil, but Jovan's oil is much weaker and doesn't have hardly any staying power. The spray on the other hand, sticks around fine if I use an ample amount, which I have no problem doing since it's dirt cheap.

I bumped this up a lippie. Since I've started wearing this again I've gotten more compliments on this fragrance than any of my high end designer perfumes. Sad, I know. I've also decided that, yes, I do have to douse myself in this to really detect it, that it does have decent staying power afterall. I used to think it faded completely after a couple hours, but since I started wearing it again I've noticed its scent on my dirty laundry at the end of the week. So I've decided it does stick around for quite a while, at least on clothing. I think the issue is that many musks kind of blend with skin after a while making them hard to detect by the wearer, but you still smell good to other people!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2011 11:38:00 AM More reviews by Olfactoria

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I sheepishly confess that in the past year, Jovan Musk has become my HG fragrance. The sheepishness is that I'm a collector who's stopped using my collection; I like many scents (particularly higher-end scents) so much in the bottle that I keep them on my dresser, unused. You see, after two pregnancies, something's changed with my sense of smell. A lot of my beloved heavy-hitting florientals and chypres just overpower my senses when I try to wear them.

Enter Jovan Musk, an oldie-but-goodie that I passed up in the '80s and '90s because I was so enamored of sillage-rich designer fragrances. But I've never completely blocked it from my consciousness-- my mom wore this in the '70s and I remember how soft, warm, and clean it smelled on her. And the price has always been right. This stuff is a fine gem in an unfortunately crappy-looking bottle.

I consider Jovan Musk to be its own category, almost an "unfragrance." It's not floral, it's not sweet, it's not spicy, it's not dry. It is mild, lotion-y, shampoo-y, smooth, and subtle-- a slightly wistful, very ambient skin-scent. I'm always in the mood to wear it. It makes me feel pretty, yet natural. It becomes part of me in a way nothing else does.

I do find slight differences between current and older versions. The older versions of the oil are more rich and deep; the older concentrated cologne spray lasts longer. But it's not enough of a difference to turn me off from the current, Coty-owned stuff. I have a mixed collection of old and new bottles, and it keeps me happy. And smelling... just plain good.

12 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2011 8:00:00 AM More reviews by raspberrysorceress

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I keep crawling back to this fragrance after my Grandmother referred me onto it in it's fluorescent orange packaging. She first discovered it in the late seventies, and having forgotten it's name but knowing it began with a 'J' and was characterized by the colour orange, it's always taken on a mysterious persona for me. I purchase expensive perfumes only under special circumstances, with Jovan Musk and it's relentless aroma always being my go between. I don't think I could ever find the words to describe how this smells to me, except that I know out of all the Chanel and other higher end fragrances that have ever been known to me, it is this one that completely encapsulates all my senses. It's that moment when you inhale a scent and you just know you could smell it for the rest of your life and be happy. I just adore it's softness, calmness, it's femininity and it's incapability to overpower. While I may not repurchase it each time I run out, I find solace in knowing I can always return to it and not be out of pocket. It's always there in it's little old glass bottle, waiting to re-live it's glory days once again.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No