November 26, 2014 | 1662 users online

Hair Treatments - L'Oreal - Hair Expertise Oleo Therapy Deep Recovery Mask

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2014 3:37:00 PM More reviews by MakeUpIsFabulous

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I don't think this is a recovery mask, but more like a really deep conditioner. So this will help your hair become really soft and shiny with slip, but don't count on it to treat any issues you have with your hair.
I like the flowery fragrance and the texture is like that of pudding. I think I prefer the Total repair balm mask over this.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2014 2:05:00 PM More reviews by yjanney

This stuff is pretty good. I don't know how repairing it is, but it works well as a richer conditioner. The scent is light but pleasant and the texture is very thick, almost like a paste (I think this is why they can't put it in a tube or bottle). It doesn't weigh down my curls, which I love, and I don't have to use a ton of it, which is economical. I definitely give this time to sit on my hair - shampoo, apply this, and let it soak in while I wash and shave in the shower. The price us great, too. I would like it to do a bit more to help repair my damaged hair, but not a bad product by any means.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2014 3:40:00 PM More reviews by picklemesoftly

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I don't know about this being a "deep recovery" mask, but it is a great conditioner. I'm not a fan of the jar, I keep dropping it or its contents while I try to scoop out the product during shower. This mask provides the same results as most of my regular conditioners, so I probably will not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2014 3:35:00 AM More reviews by LeMinx

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have to agree with the previous reviewer - this is hardly a "Deep Recovery Mask" by any means. I think it qualifies as a thick conditioner and not much else. It's good and it smells great but I can't imagine this repairing my hair if it were in truly terrible condition.

I bought this about a month ago before I was to get highlights and a Brazilian blowout. As such, I wanted to a conditioner that didn't have any sulfates and L'Oreal is seemingly the only drugstore brand that has a sulfate free line. I use the no-poo/baking soda shampoo method for my hair because it's great for dandruff (which I battled for three years straight!) and, even if I don't have any Brazilian or kertain treatments, I try to keep using conditioners that are sulfate free. This fit the bill so I got it. My hair pre-Brazilian was in decent condition. I had kertain treatments in the past but they had long grown out so my hair reverted back to its frizzy, unruly state. For the past eight months, I've been getting my hair trimmed like a maniac but my natural hair is still basically a mess. This conditioner didn't do much to transform it into anything smooth or workable. It did smell heavenly but it was still frizzy and dry. On the plus side, it didn't make my hair too oily and didn't leave it feeling weighed down. I attribute that to the condtioner not being very thick or rich. It basically has the same consistency of regular conditioner which isn't mask-like at all.

One thing I don't like about this is that is it housed in a jar. I know conditioning masks always come in jars for some reason (to set them apart from "regular" conditioners?) but I find products in jars with screw top lids that you have to use in the shower to be cumbersome. I'm forever losing my grip on the lid because my hands are wet or simply dropping the lid because I'm a klutz. I'm also not a fan of having to grab a product from a jar. Invariably, I always scoop out too much. All these points can be solved by not using this while standing under running water but this logic alludes me once I'm in my bathroom. The other downside is the price. An 8.5 oz jar is around $8-9 which is almost silly (though it is far cheaper than the oil from the same line). While it is cheaper than almost any salon brand deep conditoners, it still is rather pricey for a drugstore brand.

Although I did rate this 4 lippies, I'm on the fence about recommending it to others. If you're just looking for a great smelling conditoner that doesn't do much in the way of repairing, you'll likely be satisfied with this. If you're looking for something that will truly heal and repair damage, you're better off spending the extra money and buying a real deep conditoner/mask from a high end brand or making your own.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2014 2:37:00 AM More reviews by Khiandra

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Black

I was so excited about trying this product. What a let down. I don't think its a bad conditioner, per say but, I think it's a stretch to even consider it as a legit deep treatment. It doesn't even offer much slip. After using a couple of times, I didn't notice any change. My hair didn't look or feel any different. It did smell good though. The texture of the product is so misleadingly good lol. It looks like a duck...quaks like a duck but it ain't no duck. Lol. I would just use this as a regular rinse out conditioner. Guess you get what you pay for.

FAST UPDATE: I did some experimenting this morning, and come to find out....this stuff is a pretty good leave in! My curls are poppin'! I didn't use a whole lot (mixed in a tiny bit of jojoba oil) and after my hair air dried I scrunched in some of the matching hair serum from the same line. Who knew? Bump up one more lippi.....wow...

rated 2 of 5 on 5/27/2014 8:14:00 PM More reviews by JCS772

I am the lone dissenter here. My experience was not good, and it surprised me. I bought the mask along with the shampoo and oil, thinking I'd get the most from this line if I used them together as designed. I have really strong shoulder-length, wavy hair that I color but take good care of. It is not fragile. I used this between once and twice a week with the shampoo and found it less-than emollient for something that touted itself as a mask. My cuticle was never smooth after using it and after 3 weeks of this with the other two products, my colorist was horrified by my dry hair. I've given this one more lippy than the shampoo and oil, mostly because I used it less frequently than the others so it's hard to pin as much damage on it.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2014 9:39:00 PM More reviews by Cplante95

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have virgin hair and I was looking to dye it with henna this summer after I graduate. I have a massive fear of my hair becoming dried out and damaged so I bought this product to apply after I dyed it in hopes of preserving my hair's health. Although I haven't died my hair yet, I went camping over the weekend with my boyfriend and stupidly sprayed bug spray in my curly hair, which ultimately lead to it being in a tangled, matted mess. I then fell asleep and woke up to one big knot. I showered, and after I applied shampoo and conditioner, I tried this to see if it would help de-tangle things. It got nearly all my knots out! When I went to brush my hair I barely had any hassle. When my hair dried, it felt silky and soft, and my curls weren't as frizzy as usual. Not to mention I love the smell, its sulfate free, and vegan! I'll definitely be using this weekly from this point on to maintain my hair's health, especially when I dye it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/18/2014 1:40:00 PM More reviews by LizWords

This is a very good moisturizing hair mask. It does contain some protein as well as a bunch of oils, but not as much protein as the l'oreal damage erasing balm . I was concerned it would be a bit too heavy for my hair, but was pleasantly surprised that it has the perfect amount of weight - just enough to smooth your hair without making it fall flat.

I use this once a week, and the days I use it my hair is perfect, smooth and bouncy,and shiny, and it smells wonderful. I got it on sale for about $8, and a little goes a long way, especially considering it does not contain silicones (usually no cones means I have to use a ton to detangle). I'm guessing it's going to last me a very long time.

I also love the oleo shampoo and the perfecting oil from this line. Definitely worth a try.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/21/2014 1:56:00 PM More reviews by Laurad01

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've only used this once, but I'm amazed. This is the only deep conditioner I've ever used that actually gave me real results. I have dry, damaged, frizzy fine highlighted hair. This left it noticeably smoother and softer, less bulky and poofy. I will be using this weekly for sure!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2014 7:50:00 PM More reviews by beautyjunkie22

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This product is incredible. I was also in love with the Everpure mask before using this - and it has now been replaced by this product. I've been using the full line; shampoo, mask, conditioner, and self-heating oil, because with each product, I'm floored. SO GREAT. I love Kerastase, but I don't love the price - this is just as good (actually better, thanks to the price). Kerastase is a L'Oreal brand, so I guess it's some shared technology… My hair is thick, very curly, and I'm growing it (read: I should get a haircut but refuse to), so I need all the help I can get. My hair is unbelievably healthy, shiny and strong. That's not bragging - it's all down to these products. My bathroom is now stocked with this line, and also the Garnier Damage Erase butter. Everything else got tossed because they weren't good enough!
Seriously seriously recommend this product, and the entire line.