Smashbox Photo Finish More Than Primer BLEMISH CONTROL

3.2

Active: Salicylic Acid 2% Other Ingredients: Water, Squalane, Dimethicone, Glycerin, Silica, Cetearyl Alcohol, Polyacrylamide, Tocopheryl, Acetate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Cinnamomum Zelanicum Bark Extract, Honey Extract/Mel/Extrait De Miel, Panthenol, Sarcosine, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Coco-Glucoside, Capryloyl Glycine, Sodium Hydroxide, Xanthan Gum, Laureth-7, Allyl Methacrylates Crosspolymer, Butylene Glycol, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I'm sort of iffy on this product. I had bought it a while ago and heard great things from others about this product. I have oily skin and when I don't use the prescribed creams, I try other alternatives so my skin doesn't dry out and crack (which usually happens because the prescribed creams are drying). I had bought this product for about $50 from my local Shoppers Drug Mart and was excited to try it. It made my skin feel sticky and gross. On the back of the product and packaging, it says you can wear it on bear skin or under make up. I personally don't like to wear it under make up because it makes my skin sticky. However, it works best on bare skin (though it makes me personally look greasy). If you plan on purchasing this product, I recommend wearing it under liquid and cream facial products as pressed powders and some compact foundations will be hard to blend. I would rather have spent money on a regular primer and just stay on top of cleansing my face.

on 7/10/2015 4:55:00 PM

For years I have used the clear smashbox primer however I recently changed to the blemish control one after the man at the counter telling me it improved his skin. I was sure this would just break me out like everything new I usually try but within a few days I stopped getting spots and its cleared up my skin lots. It's pricey but 100% worth it, never found anything that helps my skin like this!! Don't go a day without it now!

on 4/14/2015 5:48:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

when i saw that a foundation primer has salicylic acid inside, i had to try it, i have oily skin and i have alot of redness and sometimes i would get blemishes. when i heard that this primer helps prevent and treats blemish with 2% salicylic acid i had to get it. smashbox is a littel pricey, for a 30ml 1oz bottle it cost $42. thats alot for just a primer, thats more than some foundations, but i have to admit, this is my favorite primer, it really does what it says and it really helps my blemishes. i would buy again

on 3/21/2015 3:47:00 PM

This primer worked on non-problematic areas of my face, and it moisturizes and gives a smooth finish HOWEVER it broke me out badly! I have 4-5 active pimples on my face thanks to this primer. How can a product can do the opposite thing that it's offering. It is not a bad primer if you don't have sensitive skin or very dry/oily skin, and if it didn't break me out , I would have liked this product, but it did.

on 2/17/2015 9:54:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I had high hopes for this and really wanted it to work!! :/ I have moderate acne with active breakouts. It is improving so thought I would give this a try. I had it in my makeup box ready to use when my skin wasn't in full spaz mode. I applied this as per instructions with my Estée Lauder double wear over the top. It made my foundation crinkle, split and peel. It rolled into little bits on my nose and chin after an hour or two. I haven't EVER had a problem with DW before, it's my holy grail foundation. It actually gathered in my pores. Took back to smashbox counter in boots, explained it wasn't fit for purpose. Had no receipt but I would happily exchange instead of refund. She was adamant that it's my foundation and how I apply it. (I am an expert at covering my pebbledashed face but yeah, I was willing to hear her out) She gave me a sample of some smashbox foundation to try and use together. Tried again the following morning. Foundation was gross, had a patchy appearance and oxidised on my skin!! the primer did the same thing. Didn't bother returning as I seemed to put her out. Pros: Hygienic squeeze packaging. Good for avoiding contamination if you have acne prone skin. Cons: Price - I don't mind paying £20+ if the product works. Everything - this really doesn't work :( I recommend mac prep and prime skin. It has always worked for me :) I have quite dry patches due to my acne treatments and I can actually look dehydrated. This doesn't accentuate that. It's a similar price.

on 8/22/2014 10:16:00 PM

This product didn't do anything good or bad for my skin. Just added an extra step in my routine. Complete waste of money.

on 8/20/2014 1:26:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I am not completely convinced that this product works, but I'm pretty sure it does. I have combination skin, with a severely oily t-zone. I did not start having acne problems until I was in my mid to late twenties, so I had no need for a primer, as I had no need for foundation. Now I'm in my early thirties, and I break out all the time. My nose and chin get red, so I need to wear concealer. I break out, so I need cover up. A vicious cycle, indeed. I find that I break out much less when I use this under my Dr. Jart black label BB cream (or any of my other sub par foundations), and that none of said foundations or my BB cream sink into the terribly large pores in my nose when I'm wearing this (as they do if I don't apply this beforehand, and it is not pretty. Crater Lake.)

Kudos, Smashbox. I should note that I haven't tried any other primers except Laura Mericer and the regular Smashbox primer.

on 8/14/2014 6:18:00 PM

I got a small sample of this in an ulta order I made and I thought i would try it out on my chin and forehead since they breakout often.

when I first applied it felt smooth and refreshing on my face, but all this primer did was make my makeup peel. (btw I used a liquid foundation so maybe powder would work better)

My chin is now breaking out more so I'm not buying its fighting acne claim. (though whether this is due to this product though is debatable) Sadly I wouldn't my it again for my oily skin.

on 7/29/2014 9:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

The mixed reviews on MUA really put me off buying this product at first so I felt the need to put my thoughts out there. I really think your experience will depend on what you're hoping for and for some people this is an excellent product! I've only been using this a day and have been so impressed.

I normally have skin that is on the oily side and whilst I don't usually have really terrible acne I am blemish prone. I particularly tend to get monthly hormonal spots on my chin. For some reason, last month I had a particularly bad breakout which just didn't go away after a few days the way they normally do. They were also leaving dark pigmentation/scars after they went. This was so frustrating, as every day it seemed like new spots appeared. I started to get worried about my wedding next year (what if THIS is going on then? what would I do?). I think I've already got a fairly good skincare routine going so it wasn't a case of cleansing more thoroughly or anything. I had tried topical treatments including benzoyl peroxide and I think this has triggered some kind of eczema/dermatitis so I wanted to stop using asap. Having done some more research I realised I should probably be using a salicylic acid product instead, as I was pretty sure this has suited my skin in the past. I didn't think changing my cleanser would be the most effective as you wash most of the product off during the cleansing process. I was therefore looking for either an "on the spot" treatment or a daytime product that would stay on my skin all day (e.g. moisturiser). I consulted Paula's choice because I wanted something formulated at the right pH to be effective with as few irritants as possible (my skin can be slightly sensitive). I'm not a big fan of her self-marketing and really wanted something off the shelf so I could start quickly, but most of the recommended products aren't available where I live (typical). The one that I did find fairly easily was Smashbox but the price put me off - could I really justify paying so much for something that might not work? I didn't really want a primer anyway...

I walked away the first time leaving it on the shelf but in the end, out of desperation I took the plunge. I am so glad I did. I kept everything else the same but applied the primer after cleanser/toner in the morning. I didn't bother with moisturiser because I don't always need it anyway and the packaging stated that the product works best next to bare skin. I only used it once in the morning because I'm still using an AHA in the evening and I thought it might be too much. In the afternoon I also put on a full face of makeup because I was going out and wanted to cover up! Over the course of the day (even under my makeup!) I could feel that the spots were drying up/becoming less red and irritated and the next day I couldn't believe how much my face had improved. I'm so happy with what this has done and so relieved not to have any new spots today! I'm throwing out my other topicals because they clearly weren't doing anything (Paula wasn't too impressed either, should have listened to her in the first place - ha!).

I've only recently started using primers and have never used Smashbox's regular Photo Finish. I'm prepared to believe this one isn't as good from a primer point of view (I like the texture of it just fine, but then I'm not really a primer fan). If you already have an HG primer, don't bother trying to replace it with this one. If you already have pretty good skin and are thinking of switching to this one because you're oily you also might be disappointed. If, like me, you want a product for occasional use that works throughout the day to get rid of breakouts QUICKLY that you can wear under your makeup this might be the stuff for you.

The main downside for me is the price, which is far too much for a daily product. However, because it's WORKING, I will keep using this whilst I have spots and then probably switch to a cheaper moisturiser/primer in between breakouts to make the bottle last longer as other people have commented that it doesn't seem to have a preventative effect on breakouts. I'm still going to look around for a cheaper equivalent that I can use daily but I'm still happy to have found an option that works so fast for my skin. I've knocked a lippie off purely for the price as it is making me really careful about how much I use, when I would prefer to be using this every day. Hope this helps someone in a similar position!

Not very good with the whole "blemish control" thing so if you have oily skin, don't expect a miracle. But like make up girls know, green color does do a great job of covering red. So if you have roseacea or any type of red on your skin that lays flat this is better for that verses acne (when worn under foundation of course.) a little goes a long way.

Popular Primer/ Correctors