August 21, 2014 | 1740 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Preference Superior Hair Color 5A Medium Ash Brown

rated 4 of 5 on 4/28/2014 3:56:00 PM More reviews by livloper

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the only hair color I will use on my hair. I color my own hair at home and everyone always ask me who colors my hair and they are shocked to hear I do it on my own with a box color. I find that this color is very flattering on me and I have yellowy undertones with an olive complexion. It doesn't look reddish on me. It actually leans a little more towards blonde-ish when the light hits it. Gorgeous for balayage highlights or for a subtle ombre on darker hair.

I have dry coarse hair and I do not think this damages my hair anymore than the day to day wear and tear does. I actually think my hair looks healthier after.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/14/2014 11:18:00 PM More reviews by althea77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Totally agree with other reviewer. Great for grey, but not ashy enough. Will repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/12/2013 8:32:00 PM More reviews by drbrn_grl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I've used this twice now and I do like that it covers my super-resistant gray. However, as happens with so many so-called "cool" colors, this really didn't do anything to tone down the red in my hair. I had lightened it for the summer and it was a light reddish brown. I used the 5A to basically take me back to my natural hair color, a cool brown. This didn't do it. There is still a lot of red in my hair.

My hair doesn't feel damaged (I love the conditioner with this product) and it's super-shiny. And like I said, it covers the gray, which a lot of hair colors can't manage. I just wish this was the really cool brown it promises.