August 21, 2014 | 1921 users online

Hair Styling Tools - BeLissPRO-Curl Genius Professional Curl Machine

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2014 1:55:00 PM More reviews by JMayes

I just got this product yesterday after reading review after review. I'm so glad I got brave and took the plunge! I read the instructions clearly and my first time using it I got beautiful, bouncy curls. Not once did my hair get stuck! Took me about half an hour to do my whole head, which is pretty good. I have fairly thick and unruly hair just below my shoulders. A little pricey, I got the extended warranty from Sally's so with taxes it came to $120. Overall I am very happy!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2013 3:28:00 PM More reviews by VeeCee

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Purchased this product for my waist length hair. Does it work? Yes, but, it there is a learning curve and it takes time to learn how to use. I started with clean fresh hair that really needed a trim. FYI, this machine does NOT like frizzy ends and will not accept them unless they are smoothed out.

There are three settings for lose, medium and tight curls. I opted for the tight curls. The machine only accepts very small amounts of hair. IF your hair is long, like mine, half the amount of hair should be put in the machine or it will not accept the hair. True to the advertisement, the hair neatly wraps itself into the machine, a series of beeps will tell you when to release the lever. The key to great curls is to open the machine, let the hair set for a moment and then VERY SLOWLY pull the machine away and voila! Great curls!

Like any curls produced by heat, they do tend to fall a bit during the day but not nearly as bad as a curling iron or heated curlers. It is easy to use once you get the hang of it but it does take quite a while to use as such small pieces of hair must be used. It took me an hour to do my thick, waist length hair.

In the beginning I did have some snafus. Yes, your hair CAN get stuck in the machine! Dont panic. While there is no release button, I just turned the machine off and, in the shorter sections was able to pull my hair gently out of the machine. The longer sections are trickier. If your very long hair gets stuck, close and open the machine several times and it will let you hair go bit by bit. Be sure to turn the heat to low before doing this to avoid burning your hair. (I had a few moments where I thought I was going to have to cut my hair out).

The Curl Machine seems to prefer to be held parallel to the floor rather than perpendicular. Also, it will automatically reject hair that is too thick, not smooth enough, too frizzy, etc. So make sure your hair is trimmed and clean when you use it.

I DO think it is pricey for what it is. $150.00 retail and $99.00 for licensees. I will use this product, but when it dies, I do not think I will purchase another one unless the price falls dramatically. Will update as I become more familiar as I have had it only a week.

***UPDATE: Normally I wouldnt do this to my hair but, I have used this product every day since purchasing last week and I have finally gotten the hang of it! I did get my hair trimmed to get the dead ends off and it is healthy again at the ends. DO use your usual pre heat products before using and your hair will shine, shine, shine! I use 3 or 4 spritzs of Kerastase Chroma Cristal and 2-3 pumps of Kerastase Elixir Ultimate (only on the ends). Let hair dry normally or blow dry and get out your curling machine.

The number one thing to remember is: keep the control side of the machine (side with the on/off switch and curl setting switch) facing the scalp. Once I realized this, there were absolutely no problems, no getting caught in the machine and perfect curl after perfect curl. Have tried all three setting and each delivers exactly what it is set for.

Also, I mentioned above, there is a learning curve. My first time took an hour, now I can do my entire head in about 15 minutes.

Very versatile. If you like tight curls, wear them, the next day brush out for a different look with beautiful bounce and shine. I am now LOVING this machine and would definitely repurchase.

I do still think it is expensiveat $150. Pros, you can get it for $99 at Sallys and if you can find a gift card/coupon it is all the more cheaper. Good luck and enjoy!

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No