April 17, 2014 | 1424 users online

Foundations - Almay - Smart Shade CC Cream Complexion Corrector

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2014 10:16:00 AM More reviews by Linneaus

This is a wonderful product and I've very sad to see the negative reviews out for it. I suspect the main reason for the poor reviews is that the product is intended for Normal/Dry Combination Skin to Very Dry Skin and people with oily skin will find it overly greasy and not suited for their skin.

Objectively this is one of the few drugstore or high end bb/cc creams or tinted moisturisers, or even foundations that has a decent concentration of ingredients to improve that texture and functioning of the skin that so many bb/cc creams and moisturisers tout they do have but do not.

Apart from the base of the product the ingredients list includes Niacinimide (vitamin B3), Vitamin C, Licorice and Mulberry Extracts which are research indicates can brighten pigmentation marks and have soothing effects on skin, Sodium Hyaluronate and Lecithin both of which act as emollients that repair and keep the structure of skin and Grape Seed extract a known antioxidant.

On top of this, the product has a (nearly) broad spectrum UVA/ UVB sun protection, which is much more than most tinted moisturises, bb/cc creams and foundations from low to high end lack. Unfortunately Titanium Dioxide, Octisalate and Octinoxate together combined do not protect against UVA1 rays and Octinoxate has some tendency to degrade over time when exposed to UV lights. The product has an SPF factor (a measure for protection against UVB rays) of 35 in North America equivalent to SPF 25 in Australia.

Cosmetically the product looks and preforms well for Normal to Dry Skins leaving a dewy light- medium finish that can be powdered down, which does not enhance skin flakiness, fine lines or pores. Those with oily skin, may hoever find the product to emollient and lacking in longevity and hold those with extremely dry skin will still need to pre-moisturise before applying. In general those who have always struggled with flakes with any sort of foundation or tinted moisturiser will find some respite in this product. Lasts between 6-8 hours and coverage fades well and no in a patchy manner.

Cost wise this is a most affordable bargin of a product that beats many of its competitors out of the field. In North America the product retails between $5-10 whilst those in Australia can wait for the $10 off Almay products and pay $9.95 at Priceline Pharmacies.

Overall this is a fantastic option for normal to dry skins, which offers a dewy light-medium coverage with a decent concoction fo skin repairing ingredients and sun protection at a bargain price.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/10/2014 2:21:00 AM More reviews by littlehooch94

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Omg. I love this CC cream! I'll list pros and cons then explain how I make it work for my oily skin.

PRO:
Light coverage (which is awesome for my personal taste.)
High SPF (35)
Doesn't break me out
Improves my over skin appearance
Non drying
No smell
Little goes a long way

CONS:
Super oily
Oxidizes some when it's very humid
Not good for photography (causes flashback some)

I have really oily skin, but I love a light coverage foundation. Finding a light coverage foundation for oily skin is hard. when I apply this it makes my skin look really slick and shiny but I have found a way to fix it! I make sure my face is freshly washed and I do NOT apply moisturizer (there's enough in the foundation.) then I apply Mabelline's Shine Free powder over it with a power brush. Then I dust the ELF translucent HD loose powder over it and it's matte and it stays that way all day!! Make sure to just DUST the ELF powder over it because if you use to much it can make a white cast. Then I apply my other makeup like normal. Both of those powders are the holy grail for oily skin. But the CC cream is awesome. I like a natural look and this covers some stuff, it more like takes the edge of redness and dark circles but if you use concealer and/or powder over it seems to work fine for my skin and covers what needs to be covered. Over time, this claims to improve your skin. I have seen a small difference. My skin does look better now for the most part. However I still breakout, but the same, if not less then before I used it. The only things I'd changed would be the oiliness and the smart shade. This oxidizes some in very humid weather (most smart shade makeup does way worse though) I live in Alabama where it's very humid in the summer so I'm not sure what I'll do about that. :/ you don't need much, a little goes a long way with this makeup. I bought this used at a thrift store for $3. It had barely been used and since it was a squeeze bottle I felt safe that no one's fingers had touched it, so I'm not sure how much it costs. It was about half way gone when I got it in November and I'm still not close to being out now in March! I use it 2-6 times a week. I don't use a primer with it but I think I might start and see if that helps it from oxidizing. The packaging is good, it's in a squeeze tube with a twist lid that won't come off in a makeup bag. I would definitely recommend this to a friend and I will repurchase as of right now. I love it!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/2/2014 10:35:00 PM More reviews by fredafreda

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this cc cream. I have extremely dry skin and no foundation works on me except the Maybelline bb cream. This cc cream is similar to that but the ingredients seem better (less irritated ingredients).
When I saw the other review said this is oily, I wanted to try it so badly. It sounded it would work perfectly on my dry skin. I was rushing to the store and bought it. It looks matt on my face (even I prefer a bit more oilier) but it is already a winner for me that it didn't dry out my face like everything else. I am NC 30 and color 100 is prefect for me.
The package is also excellent too. It is in a tube and it is easy to carry around and very hygienic. I would highly recommend for anyone has dry skin and just wants to improve the color of skin tone with the natural finish.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/14/2014 9:35:00 PM More reviews by Missmartinez1014

I personally like it although it does look slightly oily on me. I tend to go for dewy glows though so it works for me. It would work best on dry skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/13/2014 12:47:00 PM More reviews by aferrar1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

If I had dry/normal skin, it would be absolute love with this CC cream. The light is a great match for my NW20 skin and I love how it looks when first applied. I think the coverage is perfect for evening out my skin tone and camouflaging redness – no it’s no full coverage, but I wasn’t expecting it to be either. Big bonus that it has SPF 35 AND has a rating of Best on Paula’s Choice website! But since I have oily skin, I have to powder up after this baby a couple times throughout the day.

It also helps that I got this for 3.49 after stacking manufacturer and target coupons. Definitely worth a try if you’re looking for a light coverage product!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/11/2014 12:03:00 AM More reviews by missjolene204

UPDATE!!!! I have now had this for about a week and it's doing nothing for me aside from making my face break out. I never break out. Like ever. Since I started using this product, my face is a mess. I don't have sensitive skin and have used my fair share of bb creams and primers but nothing has ever made my face break out besides this. So disappointed but I should have know better because of its oily texture.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/9/2014 12:54:00 AM More reviews by OldBlueEyes76

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Definitely not for oily/combination skin. Ugh. I've tried it over moisturizer, over primer, over mattifying lotion and alone. Nope, nope, nope and nope. It's a shame, because the color is great. It's very sheer though, so if you are trying to conceal blemishes/scars, not gonna help. I moved on to Urban Decay Naked Skin. :-/

rated 4 of 5 on 2/8/2014 9:29:00 PM More reviews by Whitestats03

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been using Almay smart shade for years. Love it. Never used a CC cream till purchasing this a few months ago. I'm normally the light/ medium 200 in the summer, but grabbed the pale light 100 for the winter in the CC cream this time. I love the light medium coverage. It helps smooth out any redness and freckles I have. It's def not for those with oily skin as its very moisturizing in an oily way. But I have dry blemish prone skin and after my moisturizer I wait till dry and add this using my fingers. Wait a minute or two then apply another small amount again to my T zone. No smell that I can tell. My only problem is that my eyes are very sensitive to high SPF. So I do not use this around my eyes or undereyes as I do the regular smart shade. It makes my eyes sting a lil bit. Then I use my prolong wear concealer for my eyes. I love this stuff. Really I do. I'd buy it again and again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2014 10:55:00 AM More reviews by Jennlw5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

A great CC cream for normal to dry skin, those with combination skin or oily skin will most likely not like this. It is very lightweight with some skin beneficial ingredients.
I have found it toned down the redness on my face and I use it under my Cover Girl All Day Hydrating make up and it leaves me with smooth, healthy looking skin.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/5/2014 12:33:00 PM More reviews by smansoor34

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the first CC cream I've tried. Honestly, I didn't like it. I have combination/oily skin and as soon as I put it on it gave me this greasy/shiny look. I had to apply quite a bit of translucent powder to take the shine away. I went to work and the shine kept coming back every couple hours, so I had to blot my face quite a bit. The only thing I liked about it was the shade. It's the perfect shade for my skin tone and I've been having trouble trying to find my correct shade. I won't be buying this product again but will use it up since I paid quite a bit for it. Overall, I was disappointed with this product.