Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick - Beso

4.3

on 6/13/2015 7:59:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Texture reminds me of MAC's (I think now discontinued) Lipmix. Spreads evenly, dries quickly. Fully matte, very intense colour. (A darker/less warm red than MAC's red Lipmix.) Leaves a pretty good stain where it does wear off so doesn't look too crazy after eating/drinking coffee/at the inner edges of the lip.

BUT. Colour is so thick and intense, have to wipe off 90% of product back into tube before even touching applicator to lip. Then dot twice on lower lip, and have to smear with finger to cover both lips .. then carefully fill outside edges with what is left on applicator. And THEN I have a beautiful, fully covered intense red lip. (and an intensely red fingertip)

This would work so much better with a small flat lip brush! Why is such an intense colour packaged with a spongey doe-tip applicator that carries tonnes of product??

This IS a beautiful neutral red. I get why people love the colour. It does last, and compared to other matte colours it doesn't look chalky and the stain makes it "live" even when the superintense red has partly worn away.

It's so much work to get it on in the first place I would never carry it with me to retouch. I touch it up/blend it with Revlon Raspberry Pie or Candy Apple Lip Butter.

on 6/13/2015 12:12:00 AM

I absolutely ADORE this product. Beso is a neutral/mid-toned red that is easy to apply. I like to wear this during the holidays with a neutral eye/blush and lots of mascara. The matte formula is long lasting without being too drying (although I would not wear this if my lips were dry and would prep lips with a scrub/balm first). Definitely a good buy.

Olive NC20-25, black hair, brown eyes for reference. I typically prefer blue-based bright or brick reds. Beso is a slightly blue-based bright and true red.

I only bought this on Monday, but I've had Fiery since February and I've previously tried the Sephora Cream Lip Stain (01 Always Red is a dupe for Beso). I'd be lying if I said I didn't choose Beso over Always Red only because the name reminds me of flamenco dancers. I used to think that only brick reds such as NARS Cruella suited my skin tone, but I've recently ventured into the more classic types like MAC Russian Red. Stila Beso is the epitome of vibrant red: timeless and show-stopping, and will make heads turn.

Initially, the flexible doe-foot applicator is a little tricky, and I have shaky hands. When I first started using liquid lipstick, I couldn't apply these without using a lip liner (MAC Brick is my HG). However, as of this week, I think I've gotten more used to the applicator and can now do it freehand. BUT you still want to take your time with it, this dries down like nail polish and is best removed with something oil-based. In a pinch, I like Maybelline Baby Lips because those don't serve a purpose for me otherwise.

The color itself, I think, dries down the tiniest bit deeper than it goes on. On me, it looks like a more intense version of Russian Red, maybe slightly less blue. It makes my yellowish teeth look insanely white and my lips look lush due to the velvety matte finish. The crisp edge is easily cleaned up with concealer and makes for a very professional, neat look. I am a student and I've been complimented by friends and even some teachers.

As for longevity, I put this on at 6am and I remove it at 5:30pm. The most it wears off is along the inside corners of my mouth, which is tolerable for me as it isn't too starkly noticeable unless I'm doing a lot of talking. The color eventually starts to transfer from my lip line if I do a Kiss Test, but I think this is because of the natural oils of my skin and this product isn't technically supposed to be a miracle of biblical proportions anyway, so I'm okay with that. It's still basically infused with the blood of Christ. Sometimes I like putting on Russian Red first and blotting that, then applying Beso over so that the corners don't show where the liquid lipstick has flaked off. This DOES make the lipstick transfer more and deteriorate quicker though, so your mileage may vary.

I haven't had a problem with it being drying, but I think it could easily be remedied with a waxy lip balm (think eos--not great for heavy-duty moisture, but won't melt off the lipstick) over or under.

I love wearing Beso with a simple cat eye and bronzed cheeks, or with a full on smokey eye and heavy liner inspired by Spanish flamenco dancers, or in a Snow White inspired look with taupey-champagne eyes and rosy cheeks. Beso is just so versatile and beautiful. It will suit most if not all skin tones! All in all, I'd highly recommend it, and will repurchase as soon as I run out.

on 3/1/2015 11:37:00 PM

I love this lipstick, its the colour i have been looking for. its feels so soft on your lips. it is very pigmented and last all day .. definitely would buy all colours in it

on 1/14/2015 11:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is a deep, true red. No fuchsia or pink or orange bullcrap. Just red. It is more deep than bright, so it is nice and flattering on me.

I am not a huge matte fan (I find them to be too drying and that can be aging in my opinion) but it does stay on. It is not the easiest to apply, but since it does not move around, the extra time spent is worth it. It has a pleasant light vanilla scent.

on 1/8/2015 10:45:00 AM

I have this product in both Beso and Fiery, and for a while, I thought Fiery was my signature, since I'm drawn to the deeper, blue based reds. However, I started working at a makeup store and decided to switch it up and try Beso. Now, usually I'll get a few compliments on my lip color, but nothing crazy. However, any time I wore Beso, I had at least 10 people a day ask me where I got it, and several would buy it on the spot. Now, I'd like to think it's because I rocked it so well, but honestly, I think Beso is just that perfect. It's not a blue based red, which some have been saying, nor is it deep. Maybe when people say deep they mean that it is vivid? Because it is that: a showstoppingly vivid, true, neutral red in a velvet matte finish. To compare it to other shades, I'd say it's less blue than Ruby Woo, and though Ruby Woo is an amazing shade, it's even more vivid.

As far as wear, it has the same pros and cons as most liquid to mattes. You have to be careful to apply precisely, and in very thin layers. Unless corrected immediately, mistakes are difficult to erase, and too thick an application keeps it from drying to a velvet finish- instead, it gets tacky.

For me, the most annoying thing about this or any liquid to matte is, ironically, the thing that I also love about it. I don't like worrying about transfer, or smudging, or wearoff, which is why I tend to go for liquid lipsticks more than stick formulas. Liquid to mattes like these are the longest and most evenly wearing formula you're gonna get, by far.

However, after a few hours, the color will wear a little on the inside of the lips, as any lip product tends to do. It will still look great everywhere else, but if you have big lips like me, that bit of wear sort of noticeable. Now, with regular lipstick, touching up is pretty seamless, but with a liquid to matte like Stila, reapplying another layer on top of the existing ones can give you that dreaded tacky texture I mentioned before. It's annoying, but carrying around a small pack of makeup wipes helps with that. It's honestly easier to remove all the color and reapply than try to touch up. And no matter what you do, the product will also, unfortunately, begin to settle a little into lip lines after a few hours, and that flawless velvet finish will look a bit rougher for the wear. I've tried using primer and/or balm on top, but I don't know that they help. I find they tend to dull the color and texture slightly. You know how sometimes a thicker nail polish will get sort of weird and uneven if you add a base or topcoat? This is kind of like that. Actually, if you think of nail polish in general, that's a good way to think of how this product works.

STILL, despite all that, Stila Beso is probably my favorite lipstick of all time, and I have tried a LOT of lipstick. It's just an amazing, amazing red, with a finish so velvety matte it makes your lips almost look like they've been photoshopped. I'll add that Kat Von D Everlasting Kiss in Underage Red and LimeCrime Red Velvet are nearly identical dupes to Beso, but something about it still gives it that edge over all the rest.

on 1/7/2015 3:12:00 AM

I have been going through a red lipstick phase recently (think Chanel 99, NARS Dragon Girl and Heat Wave, YSL's Glossy Stain in number 11, MAC's Russian Red) and this is my latest acquisition. The colour is stunning; a deep red that makes my teeth look white and my skin (NC25/30) glow. The formula lets this product down. It's matte and possibly the most drying matte formula I've encountered (this is saying something considering I own Russian Red). It accentuates my lip lines and continues to suck the moisture from my lips and tears them up. The application is quite difficult because it is such a loud colour and the formula is rather thick and quick to set that you'll need to be super diligent and accurate with the application. It is super long lasting - through drinks and meals; this point and the beautiful colour are the reasons why I'll keep the product and will only use on special occasions.

on 12/28/2014 11:20:00 PM

As its been years since those MaxFactor infinity lipsticks came onto the market, I had high hopes that maybe someone has finally nailed it and combined those two factors that seem to be mutually exclusive - a non-drying lipstick that is also kiss/food/drink proof. Sadly, this Stila lipstick does not stand up. In terms of application, less is definitely more as its consistency is like clown makeup. Highly pigmented, but not in that soft lipstick kind of way - the texture is harsh and similar to acrylic paint. Due to its fast drying formula, you need to be precise and work quickly to correct any mishaps. Also, instead of sinking in nicely, it seems to sit on top of your lips - this creates a very harsh outline which I hate. You can soften it up by gently dabbing the applicator on the edge of your lip line to smudge it a bit. It dries to a matte finish, but again, it's that incredibly dry looking matte that brings out every single crease on your lips. I found applying a bit of lip balm beforehand gave me a better finish, but not sure if any balm can be applied afterwards without it affecting the long lasting nature of the lipstick. I didn't leave it on long enough to see whether it actually outlasted things like food and drink, but I'm pretty sure it would have - it looked and felt no different to the stock standard MaxFactor, Revlon and L'Oreal ones. Comes off cleanly with some Vaseline and a tissue - doesn't seem to stain the lips either, which is great. Basically, if you wear lipstick everyday (I wear NARS jungle red) and are looking for something that will give you the same finish but with greater lasting power, then keep searching because it hasn't been invented yet! Although I'm happy with NARS, I was hoping to wear this to an all day music festival, where it would be inconvenient to reapply lipstick constantly. Wishful thinking! However, I will say that it works very well as a base - I dabbed 2 dabs on both my upper and lower lips before spreading the colour with my fingers. This could have worked on its own, as it gave me a lovely stained finish. However, I waited for it to dry before applying my usual lipstick. It made my lipstick last longer - even after eating and drinking, the Stila seemed to remain on the inner part of my lips.

on 12/7/2014 12:20:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

THE RED. Fantastic, perfect, ride-or-die, HG, etc.

I believe in lipstick as the best concealer. Every lady should have that perfect, bright shade of red lipstick in her beauty bag that renders everything else on her face irrelevant. I whip this baby out whenever the spots, undereye circles, scars, flakes, and general dinginess become too much for my usual routine.

This is not an "Intro to Lipstick" red. If your basic sheer tint is Red 101, then this is your senior thesis. It's intensely pigmented, 100% opaque, and dries down to a velvety matte finish that literally will not budge for hours. The color is an extremely vivid true red (if I had to pick a side, I'd say that it puts a toe into the blue-red side of the spectrum, as opposed to orange-based red), not for the faint of heart. You'll want to make sure that you have the hang of the applicator before you start wearing this on a daily basis, because errors are not easy to erase. It's not particularly drying, but matte liquid lippies are not known for their hydrating properties either. I usually layer on Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream for a few minutes before, blot it so that it's less slick, and then apply this. One thin layer gets you dense color, so the tube lasts forever.

I'm actually not the hugest Stila girl, but this single product alone makes their whole line worthy of admiration. If they ever discontinued it, I would probably camp out at Sephora and refuse to leave until they reinstated it. Highly, highly recommend.

on 10/29/2014 9:10:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I was looking for the perfect red matte lipstick that was low maintenance (like the rest of my beauty routine). Found this in Sephora (colour is fiery) and this has been such a godsend! It's the perfect 'true' red that suits everyone and doesn't budge an inch, even if I've just stuffed my face. The number of compliments I've received with this lipstick makes me think that this is it - I've found my match. I don't wear it with anything else other than a lipbalm but I'm thinking of investing in a red lip liner.

TL;DR: 10/10 would buy again. Would recommend to a friend. Would buy out the store if Stila ever decided to discontinue this product.

Popular Lipsticks