November 23, 2014 | 1678 users online

Styling Products - Joico - K-Pak Color Therapy Restorative Styling Oil (New 2013 Formula)

rated 5.0(1 review)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/17/2013 8:36:00 PM More reviews by lemonz4us

The newly reformulated Joico oil, much improved from the old version, has peptides (Joico calls this their Bio Advanced Peptide Complex) to restore hair to its former glory . I find that this is on equal or better performance than Moroccan oil, YES finally ! This has so many one-ups over moroccan oil, it contains a lot of antioxidants to restore hairs health and shield it from UV damage and free radicals, and it contains an actual UV filter to prevent more sun damage , in the form of Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane (avobenzone) and it's HALF the price of Moroccan oil for the same amount.
the new bottle is a gold cap and at the bottom there are a lot of hexagonal molecules on the package. I like that the fragrance in this is incredibly subdued, straight out of the bottle it smells identical to the color therapy shampoo and conditioner, a bit fruity and sweet, but in my hair i can't smell anything, this is great bc i love to follow with scented hairsprays in my hair. but what i don't care for is that after about maybe 9 hours? if i smell my hair it usually smells dirty, as though i haven't washed my hair in 4 days (i'm sure you all know that smell) maybe my body chemistry just doesn't mesh well with it, but overall the fragrance isn't grossly overwhelming like moroccan oil.
I'm glad that they included dimethicone in this, my hair really likes that silicone, it hates dimethiconol though. ymmv.
So i use this as i use all my silicone serums, i towel blot my hair, add my leave in conditioner, then follow with a pump or 3( if you're a lady you may need much more) of the oil and rub it between my hands, then put it into all my hair root to end, (all hair needs to be protected from heat) These silicone serums contain silicones that surround the hair and shield it from heat (so in that sense anything with silicones can act as a heat protectant) then i blow dry my hair till it completely dry and my hair is completely soft and shiny. If i do flat iron *which i almost never do anymore* i'll get a bit of this oil, and put it on the dry areas of my hair where im going to flat iron, and continue till my hair is straight.
For reference i am male, with fine, almost thin, medium-ish length dark brown hair
Seriously gals, (and any guys reading this) this may be a replacement for moroccan oil, see my review on that for more info.
I've only been using this since dec. 2012(4 months so far), so i need a few more months to decide which one i like more, keep an eye out !

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No