September 3, 2014 | 988 users online

Eyeliner - Maybelline - Eye Studio Master Smoky Long-Wearing Shadow Pencil

rated 3 of 5 on 8/16/2014 12:55:00 PM More reviews by BarefootedALIEN

I bought this as an every day eyeliner for work and school. I usually spoil myself and buy Urban Decay 24/7 eye pencils, but I want to find a good drugstore liner!

This is not it. The color goes on smoothly on my top lid. I don't line the bottom of my eyes for work or school. Just a simple line on the lid. It stays put. I've had no trouble smudging with the smudger. My main problem is the thickness of the liner itself. Sometimes I end up with a thicker line than I would like. Also, it somehow always ends up on the crease under my eyes after a long day. For the price, I would rebuy if it was a little thinner. Oh well. On to the next one! :)

rated 3 of 5 on 6/4/2014 7:17:00 AM More reviews by willow1992

I got this product today so I'll let you know exactly what I think of it. As I've gone back to uni and no longer work full time - or at all, I decided to try some cheaper brands. This product is definitely inexpensive, I bought it from Chemist Warehouse for $8 Australian! I bought this in smoking charcoal which is a very dark grey colour and nicely pigmented. Lots of people are saying this product isn't creamy, but I think this product is definitely creamy enough! It glides on wonderfully. Now for the smudging - the cap on the smudger is dodgy, and the whole smudger came off when I pulled on it, which was easily fixed though. The smudger was fairly straight forward and simple to use. It was quite spongey and not hard at all like some people suggest - perhaps they have recently improved the product? Who knows. So it's towars the end of the day and I've noticed the product has come off a bit. This is probably due to a new cheap foundation I've bought which is quite oily without a powder - and I didn't prime or put powder on my eyelids so this is why. I had to reapply the product but I didn't mind. Overall I would buy again. Good product for beginners. Just carry it in your purse if you go out!

EDIT: Had this product for about a week and a half now. It's actually broken somehow. I opened it to find the actual product/crayon has crumpled apart. Idk. I think I bought a bad one.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/1/2014 9:17:00 PM More reviews by AgentMakeup007

I got this in the color black smoke and I think it's a very nicely pigmented black liner. I don't really use the smudger on the bottom tip of the pencil because I can't pull off the smoky look, but I can say by swatching the liner and rubbing it with the tiny sponge it doesn't work. It erases and absorbs everything.
I really have issues with the thickness of the retractable liner pencil itself. It's SO thick and un-practical. It's also impossible to sharpen it once you've used the first couple of sharpened milimeters it has when you first buy it. This can't be used for lining my upper and lower waterlines so I can't really find any purpose for it at all. If you want to have Panda eyes looking liner, this is for you, but I really don't recommend this product.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/25/2014 1:34:00 PM More reviews by Tamarabara

I JUST GOT THIS YESTERDAY AND TRIED IT RIGHT AWAY...I GOT THE COLOR PURPLE AND IT SUCKS...ITS NOT PURPLE REALLY :( AND KINDA HARD TO GO ON AND YES THAT SMUDGER IS AN ERASER!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/29/2014 3:45:00 AM More reviews by Pyrettablazed

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is garbage. I got the purple, it looks more like a dull black. No color payoff, the smudger is hard and uncomfortable on the eyelid, and erases the line you just drew. Back to the store it goes!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/18/2014 2:05:00 AM More reviews by DrZoidberg

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I agree with many of the points reviewer laurakaaay mentions. This is perfectly fine as an everyday eyeliner. I have it in Scorching Brown. As an NC20 with blue eyes, this turned out to be a great choice for me. It's a nice black-brown which is not too dark, not too light.

I tend to apply it fairly lightly (see laurakaaay's technique below) and this works really well for me. I do use the smudger. Sure it is not the softest, squidgiest smudger but when laziness prevails, it is not terrible! I do not find it scratchy like someone mentioned but it is a tad firmer than I like. Meh, it does an ok job and it is more precise than my finger. It's very handy having it positioned on the other end of the pencil and it is protected by a well-fitting cap. I find that dabbing rather than swiping with it yields the best "bedroom eyes" smudges.

The staying power is good. I have fairly oily lids. Most of the time I am applying this alone and usually at the last minute before I rush out the door... I prep with a light application of pressed powder and find this is enough for the liner to stay put. After about 8 hours or so I see a faint transfer on my browbone but aside from this, it looks as good as when I applied it.

I had difficulty deciding whether to click yes or no to the question "Would you buy it again?" This is not really a revolutionary product and I'm sure there are probably better equivalents out there. I went with "No" in the end but that is not a reflection on how well it works. Give it a try, especially if it is on sale!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2014 11:18:00 PM More reviews by Ambam032

it's too soft. The blending sponge removes it even with a light hand. I found it works best to let the liner sit a bit before trying to blend it. The blending sponge is hard and scratchy. I have the color NY Concrete. It's a darker grey with a lot of sparkle. I will not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/11/2014 9:49:00 PM More reviews by laurakaaay

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have the Maybelline Eye Studio Master Smoky Long-Wearing eyeliner/shadow pencil in Scorching Brown, and to be frank, I do really like this for everyday wear, AS AN EYELINER ONLY.

I was walking through Chemist Warehouse one day, and I saw this at the Maybelline stall, and it was on offer for about AU$7.00 and I immediately picked it up, and threw it into my shopping basket. I needed a new eyeliner, but as it's summer, I wanted something less harsh, but still something that will define my eyes. The Scorching Brown colour is beautiful, it's a dark coffee brown, and upon further inspection, has a slight iridescent shimmer, which helps make this wearable for many skin tones without being too heavy and harsh. I use the pencil on my lower lash line, heavier on the outer 2/3 of my lash line, and lighter on the inner 1/3. If I'm going for a more dramatic look, with either with my finger or a mac 217 brush, I smudge it out. Although, it doesn't smudge a lot, because it isn't creamy. I just smudge it a little, just to make it look effortless, and more bedroom eyes - esque. Chuck on some mascara, and I'm good to go! (Girls with glasses like me, this makes your eyes stand out through your glasses, if applied as an eyeliner, it's awesome!)

The smudge sponge on the pencil itself is terrible, but that's a reality with many eyeliner smudge sponges at the drugstore. I only use this product as an EYELINER, not an eyeshadow stick as it isn't creamy enough to put all over the eyelid with major tugging. I'm not a fan of tugging at my eyelid, and I imagine not many people are, so if you're looking for an eyeshadow stick in a similar colour (brown) and price range, let me steer you toward the Rimmel Scandaleyes Shadow stick in Bad Girl Bronze.

The pencil doesn't have any noticeable scent, it didn't irritate me when I was wearing contact lenses, and I have quite sensitive eyes. When applied, it didn't feel heavy, so I have no problems wearing it all day, or to work or university.

The pencil lasted all day on my lower lash line/Water line and at the end of the day, it looked the same as it did when first applied. I don't have oily skin or problems with eye make up coming off, so it could smudge slightly on those who have oily skin, but it's not too creamy, so I don't imagine it slipping off dramatically. It came off easily with some eye make up remover or warm water, I didn't have to scrub my eyes to get it off!

All in all, it's a great eyeliner, that would suit and flatter so many skin tones. For the price it's good quality, but it's not a revolutionary product. It does the job of defining my eyes, and if I ever run out of it, I could see myself purchasing it again.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2014 6:28:00 PM More reviews by tessture

I have the dark blue and it's garbage. It goes on thin and transparent, with practically no color at all and wipes off with the blending tool that's supposed to smooth it out. there's more pigment in an ELF eyeliner than in this thing. I'm extremely disappointed. It's only use is as a base for powdered eyeshadow, but it's still so soft it doesn't last long as that either. Not a good product.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2014 8:44:00 PM More reviews by graceybaby8

This product is average. The eyeliner is quite soft and the smudger acts almost like an eraser, even with a light hand... It takes off the colour as much as it smudges.... Also the smudger is a wee bit scratchy IMO. The colour payoff is great but lasting power is below average. It's an easy way to create a smoky eye (I tend not to smoke out my bottom lashes) but the product could be better.