Dove Style+Care Extra Hold Hairspray (Extra Strong Hold)

3.4

Price: $

Price: $

on 4/27/2014 1:03:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

This review is for "Strong" hold (not extra strong). I ran out of my preferred hairspray (matrix biolage medium hold) and needed something else so I picked this up. I'm using this is hold my hair back while I work (I work in healthcare) so it's important that it holds all day. I like the bottle and I found the spray on this easy to control, it's doesn't easily oversaturate the hair and sprays only where you want it. It dries somewhat hard but does hold very well. It brushes out easily and leaves my hair feeling soft after it's brushed out. The one thing I am not sure about is the scent, it's very strong and powdery. I can smell it hours after I apply and it's a bit overwhelming. My coworkers didn't notice the scent though. I would repurchase if I still can't find my regular hairspray.

on 3/12/2014 10:47:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

This is my new favourite hairspray! I love the smell of this, and the smells not so strong. It makes my hair shiny. And also it doesn't make my hair crunchy and hard. But if it's hard and crunchy for u it's bcuz u are spraying too much hairspray. My hair when I curl it the curls fall out less than 10mins if I don't use hairspray so I had to find a hairspray that had a good hold but didn't make my hair hard and crunchy. So basically this hairspray has buildable hold. So when u use it make sure u don't spray too much. And also I got a great deal for these. I got 2 for only $3 (in Canada) at Walmart.

on 1/28/2014 6:15:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

My new favorite hairspray! My hair is very thick and wavy, and I use this as my final step on my bangs and at the roots. Holds very well without being too stiff, and makes my hair really shiny. My curls last into the second day, which they almost never do with anything else. I will continue to repurchase.

on 10/19/2013 3:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I have to admit, I got this spray out of curiosity rather than need. I love how mild Dove soaps are, had no idea that liquid hairsprays exist, and this was on sale, so I got it.

(Full rewrite of the review 12/9/13)
Originally, I thought I would use it for adding it to damp hair, so that my waves would be defined. Now that was worth a try, but not very smart. The spray actually prevented my waves from forming, so I tried to use it the next morning, to set the dried waves. That has worked out a lot better and, once I figured how to use it, it has become a part of my routine.

When my washed hair has dried overnight, I squirt this spray on my hand and run it over the roots around my part for a little shine and setting the hair. I also run my hand with spray on it over all of the separate locks/waves, and it keeps them from falling apart, without straightening out my waves or "gluing" them. I don't spray it directly on my hair because the mister isn't fine enough, and hair dries in "straws" without any shine. For setting my hair, I actually prefer this spray to the aerosol one I have. For volume, though, I use the aerosol, as this one doesn't hold.

Overall, I rather like this spray than not like it. I am changing the rating from three to four lippies because the spray keeps my locks together, adds some shine with careful application, and has a pleasant scent. It doesn't leave any residue either! It could be better if it had a more fine mister and a stronger hold. I might even have repurchased this, but I will most likely look for an alternative. (I also wasn't aware that Dove tests on animals, which is a bummer.)

on 1/9/2013 12:30:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

This hairspray doesn't hold very well but the only reason I won't use or buy this again is because the smell is way too strong - it gave me a headache all day and I only put a few spritz.

on 12/18/2012 7:46:00 PM

I have to agree that this hairspray is wet textured, some people don't like that, I know and I am not a super fan of that either. However, usually the wetness is designed to give you time to style the hair into place before it dries. I do think that this holds really well and smells great too. It doesn't make the hair stiff or sticky and pretty much molds the hair to the desired look without making it feel crunchy. I would def. buy this again, I have to say I love it but only gave it four lippies due to the wetness issue.

on 8/14/2012 9:33:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

I like this, but not what it's meant for. I gave it two lippies because it's extra hold hairspray that's extra strong, WRONG!! Don't expect it to hold very much. Also it takes too long to dry for hairspray. However, if you need a little help with a simple hairstyle or have some loose curls, you will like it, which is why I would get it again for days I don't feel like I want to do very much with my hair. It also smells like fruity candy, lol.

on 6/29/2012 4:01:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I just realized that everytime I use this product, it leads me to a sneezing fit! Do not buy. Ever. It doesn't even "hold" hair well and it leaves a white residue which is especially visible when you have dark hair!