New York Color Sun 'n' Bronze Coney Island Glow

3.4

on 12/24/2014 6:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

Everyone raves about NYC's Sunny Bronzer (which I can't comment on because it's too light for me) and they all overlook this little gem. It's everything you need all in one little circle: You can swirl all the colors together for a nice shimmery bronzed look (or to wear as a blush when you're going with a bold red lip) you can stick to the gold strips when you want a highlight, and stick to the brown strips when you want to contour.

This was the first bronzer I ever bought and I still use it. It's what I grab if I'm in a hurry and don't to want to fuss with a million different things. If I'm going on the road, this is the bronzer I pack since it covers all my bases. If you want to try experimenting with bronzer and highlights and all that fun stuff, pick this one up.

on 9/3/2014 9:56:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I had a severe allergic reaction to the NYC Sun n Bronze bronzer. I am severely allergic to certain types of metal and didn't realize that there can be actual metals in bronzers. I got a rash on my legs, arms and face and am very itchy. Since I stopped using this product the rash is slowly getting better but it must have absorbed into my skin to get a body rash like that since I only applied it to my face. I'm not saying it's a horrible product because I obviously liked the way it looked in using it for the last couple weeks but didn't realize I was allergic and ended up having to go to the doctor. I urge anyone who has a metal allergy to be very careful in choosing your makeup, that is all.

on 4/4/2014 10:30:00 AM

I'm not sure. I feel like if i want to apply it lightly i don't see it at all, and if i apply a bit more it looks fake. I use the same blush brush as always, and i just contour the crease below the apple of my cheeks to give a subtle glow and definition. It just doesn't really work......oh well, onto the next one!

on 3/26/2014 11:17:00 PM

I spend a fortune on makeup... I've tried every bronzed, this was my favorite! I no longer wear powder! I just use this bronzer as my base!

I love love love this bronzer! It works great for contouring on my pale face and I love it so much! It's not too invisible, yet not too overbearing. It's just right. :) The price is reasonable, but the packaging is the only downside. The top can easily pop off, which is no good for traveling or anything like that. Overall, I would definitely recommend this product!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I really like this bronzer and think it's fool proof. Great for beginners or those with fair skin (like myself).
For reference I have oily/clog-prone skin with visible pores. My skintone is quite fair and undertones are neutral but can lean slightly warm at times. (between MAC S.F.F. shades NC10 & NC15) - I'd technically be like, N13 if such a shade exists? ;) I also have brown hair & eyes and my "season" is considered a Clear Winter.

I *never* would have given this products a second look in the drugstore after my last bronzer disappointment from NYC (which was the oh so loved "Sunny") Don't get me wrong, Sunny looks LOVELY on some people but appears crazy orange on me and I'm also about 90% sure it clogged me up/broke me out (flesh colored bumps that never come to a head - I'm quite prone to these) BUT, I'd recently built up a few CVS Extra Bucks that needed to be spent so started digging around the inexpensive WnW & N.Y.C. displays. I remembered that another MUA'er frequently uses this Coney Island Glow product in her FOTD's (her review is actually posted below lol, Username is Menolikepolos :D) and she & I seem to have similar taste (I've purchased other products as per her recommendations and have been happy thus far!) So I picked this up on a total whim and am glad I did!

Having fair skin a lot of bronzers look unnatural on me for day wear. Or, when I do find one that looks ok for me, it will end up clogging up my skin and get kicked to the curb for that reason instead.. Thankfully, I don't have either issue with Coney Island Glow. No clogs/breakouts/blackheads and it also looks extremely flattering on my skin tone. I was a bit concerned about swirling all of the colors together, worried it would be too shimmery or glittery and end up enhancing my large pores but thank goodness that isn't an issue. It DOES have a slight glow to it when the colors are all blended, but it's not over the top or unflattering whatsoever. I actually think it helps me looks more awake and really brightens up my complexion.

I feel like If you're someone looking for a super-pigmented and bold bronzer this is probably not for you. It's not a poorly pigmented product, but it does take a couple swipes with the brush to get my desired effect (which I don't mind). However if you're someone who's struggled to find a bronzing powder because nothing looks flattering on you, I highly recommend giving this one a try. It's hard to go wrong when you're only spending $4 :) &If it ends up not working for you, most drugstores have good return policies regarding cosmetics as long as the receipt is kept. (especially CVS, Walmart, & RiteAid in my area in PA/USA)
I personally think this is quite nice and would certainly repurchase.

on 10/14/2012 5:56:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

This product successfully made me look "sunkissed" as opposed to just adding color to my pale face. I really like this bronzer for when I am NC20+.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

The bronzer stripes can pull a little orangey on me (NC40) but are still good for contouring and the cream-color highlighter is gorgeous! The texture is smooth and buttery and although the bronzer's pigmentation is not the BEST, it can be built up. Very cheap and workable product I would probably buy again!

on 4/19/2012 6:41:00 PM

This is far by the most disappointing product I have ever tried from N.Y.C. I usually like their powder products which are at the very least good for the price if not better... The Sun 'n' Bronze line are new bronzer products with multiple strips of color in the pan, each varying in a mix of 3 shades (2 bronzer shades mixed in with a highlight type color), It's one of those mosaic type powders where it'll require some swirling of the brush to get an even mix of color. The strips are too thin otherwise to use it individually for the face. It comes in a simple packaging with a plastic lid that easily comes off (not the best for travel).

Coney Island Glow is one of the darkest options with a mixture of 2 very deep bronze (almost brown) colors contrasted with a champagne/ivory highlighter mixed inbetween. The colors have a satin finish, not too shimmery or frosty but not fully matte either... however on my NC15/20 complexion I barely get any color payoff from this which is ridiculous. I bought this hoping it would be a dark enough bronzer I could option for contour as well however fearing it might be too dark as the bronze strips are basically brown in it but I can barely get this to show up on my complexion. It just ends up being a powdery muddy mess. Hard to blend, barely any pigmentation. There is a lot of oil in this product too, from mineral oil to coconut oil.. Definitely wouldn't suggest this if you have sensitive skin.

The most disgusting part about this bronzer is that it smells rancid. Like an old smelly lipstick one needs to toss in the trash. Usually for powder products, it is unusual for it to go bad to the extent that it stinks because it's not a cream or liquid. These are technically newly released products from NYC in 2012. Perhaps I just got a bad one, but for something out in the market for only a few months.. I don't suggest anyone to even bother with this. They retail for $4.99 but aren't worth a cent since it has no pigmentation and has non-existent shelf-life. I rarely return drugstore products but this bronzer was so terrible and an absolute waste of money that it had to go back.

Popular Bronzers