October 20, 2014 | 881 users online

Moisturizers - Cetaphil - Cetaphil Derma Control Oil Control Moisturizer SPF 30

rated 2 of 5 on 10/1/2014 6:04:00 PM More reviews by austinyasu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have oily skin and I thought this product would be great. Unfortunately, it does nothing to control oil and makes my face even more oily than with a regular moisturizer that isn't supposed to control oil. Doesn't make any sense to me how Cetaphil expects this to work. It also stung my eyes. I currently use it on my arms and legs when I go out in the sun so I don't have to waste it.
Bottom line: I would never repurchase unless they totally reformulated it.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/28/2014 2:48:00 PM More reviews by Beets22

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I used this product along with the Dermacontrol oil foam wash and they both made my skin even more oilier!! My main issue was the oil on my face and it just made it worse. I would not recommend this to anyone who is wanting to control the oil on their face because it does not work. Definitely a waste of money! Very disappointed.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/7/2014 11:50:00 PM More reviews by Ghostwerld

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

Just for anyone wondering, yes, this stuff stings your eyes.

It also made my skin feel tight and dry (bad, bad, bad) yet shiny at the same time (even worse).

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone with sensitive skin.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2014 1:07:00 AM More reviews by lushlife505

This made my oily skin even more greasy looking. it was just sat on my skin. It felt heavy and thick but I continued to use for a while hoping it would get better since it is for oily skin. In the end this went into the trash. I feel like the people that make skin products for oily skin do not have oily skin and have no idea what they are doing.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2014 11:45:00 AM More reviews by cricricri11

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

love this product. One of the few moisturizers that does not give me any extra pimples and have a spf. Also fair price.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2014 9:54:00 PM More reviews by jenglund

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought this last week, used it for a few days (and even as a spot moisturizer on some dry patches around my chin at night a few times), and returned it to Target. It didn't cause an immediate, full-blown allergic reaction, but when I put it on I felt that oily-dryness/"my skin does not feel nourished" feeling I often get from sunscreens (e.g., Neutrogena Dry Touch, Clear Face, etc.) I felt like it exacerbated a few red/irritated patches here and there, and I got a few tiny red zits around my outer cheeks, forehead, and tip/bridge of my nose (which is strange, because my hormonal acne is usually concentrated around my mouth and chin these days). I had also applied it to my chest the first night I had it in a pathetic, impatient attempt to "patch test," and a few days later my little red pimples there were multiplying instead of disappearing. There was also a pretty big, head-less, pink, swollen bump (like a zit but kind of "blind") smack dab in the middle of my chest that matched one on my outer cheek and another on my inner cheek that had also developed in the past few days.

Fast forward a week or so later, I thought, maybe I didn't give it a fair shot. Maybe it was something else, like the 10% Panoxyl cleanser I'd been using (or the Cetaphil AB bar on my chest) causing a purge/adjustment period/whatever you prefer to call it. So I bought it again from Target.

I put it on today when I got home around 4. Still didn't feel awesome on my skin, but what sunscreen does? It wasn't totally matte, and after an hour or so there's a little shine, but again, I thought I'd give it a fair chance since most SPFs are horrible (at least for me) anyway. It actually wasn't as greasy/oily as most of the Neutrogena and Olay SPF's I'd tried, so I was actually a little hopeful.

Then, I went for a long walk with my dogs and husband along the river around 7 so I re-applied quite heavily to ensure protection from the hot summer sun (yes, in the Southeast US the July sun is ruthless even at 7pm). When I went to shower (I shower at night) a couple of hours later and washed it off (using Cetaphil Normal to Oily liquid cleanser...twice), I noticed yet another 1-2 tiny red zits in odd places, like the bridge/sides of my nose. The red, "blind" zit from the previous try with Dermacontrol (just a few days prior) that was on my inner cheek also looked a little worse. (This is when I realized it matched the one on my chest exactly, and that these were the two places I put the Dermacontrol).

Now, I am trying to resist the temptation to declare that products "break me out" after just a few uses/days (since zits take a couple weeks to form), but these tiny zits were almost immediate both times I tried this, and the two red "blind" zits may actually be the little hive-like bumps I sometimes get when a product doesn't agree with me. I'm no cosmetic scientist, but I do know my ingredients, and I have no idea which one besides maybe the chemical sunscreens may be the culprit...or if it's just the formulation in general...but I don't think I'll try it again. Just ordered PC's new Clear SPF and I'm hoping that's a winner, because after a full year of trying every SPF under the sun, I'm exhausted.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/29/2014 1:55:00 AM More reviews by caartist

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Cetaphil should be sued for false advertising. Matte and oil controlling? In what dictionary and on what planet? This product is NOT matte at all. I have used products that have satin finish claims and go on more than this product. I am not expecting matte as in one full of silicone oil but this product is definitely has the typical sunscreen shiny finish. I also don't get what's oil controlling about this product, it didn't do anything to control oil but add more oil. This is a total fail in my book!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/23/2014 1:22:00 PM More reviews by Roxas1234530

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ok so I just tried out this product today, so I will update every now and then about my experience with it. My skin type is oily combination, mostly oily all the time but every now and then I can get a dry patch. This is a very light weight moisturizer with SPF and the ingredients are great for people with acne-prone skin! There aren't any ingrendiants that will per say "heal" acne but this product should not irritate acne at all. There is a small amount of zinc in this that possibly might contribute to reducing redness. I've been reading some reviews about how people are not getting that MATTE finish they want so let me tell you how you can, initially this product is looks a little shiny on the skin, but not greasy. What you do is let it sink it for a few minutes then take a tissue or toilet tissue and gently blot your whole face and you will be left with a softer matte finish. Do this with all your moisturizers and foundations, concealers etc. And I feel like you will like the product better. As far as oil control, I think it controls oil just a tad, but not a huge noticeable difference. Not like the Murad oil control matiffier that I was using before, but sadly had to return because it was breaking me out bad.:( But this product is far more easier to blend in and us cheaper and gentler on the skin. Over all this is a great option for acne-prone skin or combination to oily skin from what I can tell!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/30/2014 10:03:00 PM More reviews by estrella2421

too greasy!!! i think this is what is breaking me out!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/6/2014 2:53:00 PM More reviews by bazzo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

A good everyday-wear sunscreen if you don't mind a little bit of oil. I'm not sure what "oil controlling" or "matte" properties there are since when I apply this in the morning, my face remains greasier than normal until I used oil-blotting sheets (I have oily combination skin and blotting lightly doesn't affect SPF protection). While this isn't that big of an issue for me, it's something to take into consideration if you wear make-up.

The packaging is nice and sturdy for travelling; the swivel-lock cap is really nice so you don't accidentally get sunscreen gunk all over your bag. For sun-heavy days, remember to reapply regularly since this isn't resistant like a physical sunscreen. The price is great for what you get - 120ml for 14$ on sale at Shoppers Drug Mart, and is ideal for anyone trying to start a more sunscreen-intensive regime without breaking your wallet.

It moisturizes well, but I'd recommend using a blotting sheet 15 minutes after application to take away the extra oil. I didn't notice any "oil control" capabilities as advertised, but I've had no problems with clogging of any sort. All-in-all, an easy and decent everyday sunscreen without the need of an additional moisturizer.