October 25, 2014 | 1120 users online

Other - Birchbox

rated 1 of 5 on 10/20/2014 12:50:00 PM More reviews by ar491426

I HATE THIS SUBSCRIPTION!

It amazes me when I see people love this box because I feel like I have missed something.

I have several subscriptions and I definitely compare which ones I like and why. I HAD 4 to be exact: Julep, Ipsy, ELF, and Birchbox. I was told that maybe the first box is not that great so give it a chance...3 boxes later over it was not the word.

It gives the smallest samples sizes you can possibly imagine! When you go to look at the stuff you received it shows the full sized versions so people never know how small the product really is. I wrote that my main interest was my hair and makeup. For some reason Birchbox decided it was in my best interest to receive lotions...not one...not two...but 4. Really? I do not have dry skin and I do not like chemical lotions.

Additionally, they sent me the same product twice! Why would you send me an item each month that I already received, especially since its not that great. I reviewed every item I received but I was really disappointed in this subscription and am so happy i got rid of it. Really horrible. You can probably get 3-5 uses if your lucky out of the samples.

NOT WORTH IT!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2014 12:37:00 PM More reviews by Ashaysmom

Not only do I love my monthly birchbox but am in love with the customer service! They have addressed promptly the two issues I have had in a year with two separate products. They went above and beyond both times and stood behind their products with no questions asked! Friendly ordering and the point system is the best! If you are not a birchbox member you are missing out!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2014 10:30:00 AM More reviews by Nancygia

Add me to the list of former Birchbox subscribers who did not like it. First of all, it is not true that they will not send you things you opt out of. It happened to me numerous times--my profile said that I had curly hair that I ironed straight, yet they kept sending me products for wearing my hair curly. I could not get them on the phone so I sent them an email, which they ignored. I would watch their videos about what was in store for the coming month, and without fail, any time I was looking forward to a particular item, it was not in my box. The reviews on their site are difficult to navigate and watered down. If my review of a product was negative (which happened a lot), I never saw it on the site. They sent constant emails trying to get me to buy things that I either didn't like or didn't get enough of a sample of to know if I did. Bottom line is that I would rather spend the $10 on something that I picked out than to trust a stranger who didn't even look at my online profile.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2014 10:17:00 PM More reviews by christiecatt

I love birchbox! Its like getting presents monthly in mail & I know I'll always like everything & have fun trying it! I even use some of my extras for emergency gifts for others! I recently place a huge order & forgot to click on adding my additional samples & they sent me some extras plus gave me a bunch of birchbox points for the disappointment! I also saved $50 off my order bc you get points just for reviewing the products in your monthly subscription! Birchbox has a life long subscriber in me! I love the adorable packaging too & find myself often reusing it for things around the house, gifts or mailing packages. They have excellent customer service & the monthly birchbox is a geat deal for only $10!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/25/2014 10:34:00 AM More reviews by Shellbabyxoxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Birchbox is great, it essentially is a way for you to try new products and brands before buying the full sizes. I am a college student so I can not afford to buy the full size items when trying them, I like to sample them first, then if I like it buy it. Which is just what Birchbox does, and they have all of the samples available to be purchased, with free shipping most of the time, and tons of promo's, thank you gifts, and even earn points from your boxes and reviews of the items in your box to earn $ off of your future purchases. You get to make your own beauty profile so Birchbox knows exactly what to send, and what to leave out, and you can always change your beauty profile if you feel like you are getting to much of one thing. For $10 a month and free shipping it cant be beat!! There customer service is fabulous, they have so many vidoes to show you how to use the samples, new tips and style alerts, and even sample picks where you can pick one sample for your box, or have a custom box with all surprises, OR have a box made by a specific designer or special guest! I can ever see myself unscribing to birchbox it is amazing! Some of the samples are even deluxe sixe (use more than once) and some even full size! It is pretty fabulous, I gift there 3 month supscribtions for $30 to all my closet girl friends for wedding gifts, birthdays, Christmas, its a gift that keeps giving.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/18/2014 5:09:00 PM More reviews by MBROOKS425

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

What a disappointment Birchbox was. I had heard about it for years and finally decided to try it out and was looking forward to it, even with lackluster reviews. I was not impressed at all when I received the box and cancelled the next day. The brands felt very cheap and not exciting in the least. I filled out my profile online with all my preferences etc. When the box came, the box was the best part (very cute). I received some random mid sized bottle of oil (never heard of the brand, and it looked cheap), a silver eye liner pencil (the color was actually pretty) but I never colored or wear silver liner and had marked that I was more of a "classic makeup person" so silver eyeliner?? I got some cheap feeling pixi peach colored lip balm, and some 3 minute facial serum sample. All unknown brands, or cheap brands. I would have much rather applied my $10 towards a $20-25 makeup item at Sephora that I actually want and would use! If you think about it, $10 a month is $120 a year, which is 3-4 full size HIGH end items you would actually use and love daily rather than sit around in your drawer or trash. I would not recommend Birchbox at all.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2014 3:04:00 PM More reviews by ladysonoma

It's my first month with Birchbox, and it was much better than Ipsy, though I still love Ipsy. The thing is I got so much makeup, and Ipsy products is mostly makeup, which is fine, but I'm just getting too much. Some of Ipsy products are very cheap, though, which is also fine for the price.

However, Birchbox was all a little better, little more well made, better quality ingredients, and was a variety of things - not just makeup. This is good so that I have a few different things to try. All of them smelled really good, and I'm big on light-to-no fragrance. They also sent two boxes for the first month - a thank you for signing up.

I'm a huge fan so far. I feel like a young adult getting young adult items. Ipsy: I felt a little more a teenager getting teen things. I will probably do Ipsy again in the future, as soon as I use up some more makeup.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/26/2014 11:47:00 AM More reviews by And29

Very bad experience with birchbox in Spain,they attire the people with the beauty blender and after they liť to you in your own face that you did not put a code.It s not the first time they don t care about to keep the client.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2014 9:07:00 PM More reviews by Ferrishyn

I started receiving this about 6 months ago and I am fairly pleased with the items and service. The items are always sample size and I have discovered a lot of brands through them now. They are worth the subscription mostly because of the points you accrue through reviews and buying the subscription. The points are very easily earned and you can use them on their site to buy anything.

It works out to such a huge discount, I find this box to be a great value in the end. For example, as of now I have enough points from reviews on their site and buying a box for $10 to get $40 off anything.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2014 8:04:00 PM More reviews by dana

The negative reviews of Birchbox seem to mostly be from folks who aren't utilizing the feature on the site where you literally tell them what you like and don't like. I have subscribed for about four months now, and opted out of their lifestyle and nail options, so I have never gotten anything related to these categories. If you are getting 5 bottles of sunscreen, it's because you told them you like sunscreen. Simply go to your profile and uncheck the sun care box. Someone also wrote about these same kinds of items being available for "free" at a hotel. You know that such items are factored into the cost of your hotel room? So they aren't free at all? Especially if you were to rent a room at an establishment that would carry such nice brands, unless you were planning to just knock off the housekeepers product cart. And yes, we can get samples through Sephora, but it's really not the same thing. These samples would be the deluxe 100 point ones.

I love Birchbox as a way to try new stuff. I have gotten a mixture of full size and deluxe sample size items to try. In every box, there is at least one product that I love. I have found my new favorite shampoo, new favorite lip balm, new favorite facial scrub and new favorite body lotion all in my tenure with them. I have also learned that silver eyeliner can be fun as well as long lasting, and about new brands that are fabulous that I wouldn't otherwise know about.

For $10 a month, you can't go wrong. Typically, the box is valued at $16-$20 of products, not to mention free shipping and a credit of $5 for reviewing all the items in your box. If you like to try new things, you will love this.

*edited to add
I had an issue with two birchbox products. An item in my monthly box arrived shattered. I had also purchased a full-size lotion that had a non-working pump. I emailed Birchbox about both problems. Before I had even gotten a response, a brand new bottle of lotion was on its way to me ($22 bottle!) When CS responded, they refunded the cost of my entire monthly box the shattered item had come in, as well as gave me store credit for the hassle. Their CS is truly amazing. I buy almost exclusively through them now.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No