April 21, 2014 | 994 users online

Other - Birchbox

rated 1 of 5 on 4/15/2014 4:43:00 AM More reviews by tlandy

I was given a 12 month subscription for Christmas and have received five boxes so far. Five boxes of disappointment. They contain a random assortment of tiny samples from obscure brands that I have never heard of; mostly hand or body lotion - nothing that you couldn't get for free if you asked. The makeup samples are also tiny and are invariably the left-over colours that no-one wants. This month's Box of Disappointment included a small bottle of nail varnish in a cadaverous shade of beige.

The box usually has a worthless "lifestyle extra" item included; this month it was a small packet of popcorn, last month a hairband.

On the plus side, I suppose the small sizes of body wash or lotion are handy for travel. They also package it nicely; better than the contents deserve.

The only thing I have actually used is a miniscule pot of "healing balm" which has proved useful for saddle sores after a long bike ride.

Don't waste your money.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/26/2014 9:54:00 PM More reviews by Dcruz26

I am not surprised at all to see all these bad reviews. I gave Birchbox a good four tries to get it right. I figured it's only ten dollars so let me give it the benefit of the doubt. I think that out of the four months, I may have liked about three or four of the products that I received. I agree with other reviewers in that most of the stuff they send you can pick up at Sephora for free. They also send random things like tea & hair ties. For the most part they send make up products that I have never heard of in my life and I'd like to think that I am somewhat familiar with makeup brands. If you are thinking about giving them a shot, I would advise not to. Save yourself the ten bucks and just spend it on something that you are going to love.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/23/2014 9:57:00 AM More reviews by hoosiermama92

How excited I was to get my first Birchbox (March 2014). How very disappointed I am at the contents.
1) Gilcrist & Soames body lotion: these are commonly given out at nice hotels in the bathroom. Have many, never really use them. They are basically free.
2) How "bout Them Apples? Cheek/Lip Cream: That is interestingly small. A "B" rated sample.
3) Agave Healing Oil: Again…so small. This one is pretty much one use since you can't reseal the tiny pouch.
4) Mighty Leaf Tea: You've got to be kidding me. Again, another freebie I can get at a hotel. Really?
5) Ghirardelli chocolate square: one tiny chocolate piece that I could also get on my pillow at a hotel.
6) 10ml of Supergoop sunscreen serum….this may or may not cover my whole face and neck as directed "liberally". Another "B" on this one.

All in all, this is very disappointing. Hotel freebies and very, very small samples (I'm pretty sure I could get them free at Sephora,too). I may give you one more month to do better but I also may not.

I have had Ipsy sent to me for several months and thought I would venture out and try something different. UGHHHHH>>>>>

rated 2 of 5 on 2/19/2014 12:43:00 AM More reviews by ABrushWthBeauty

I just received my second box...what a bummer. What's even more annoying is that I see others publishing photos of their boxes and they have entirely different things - much better things. I realize that to some degree they pick your samples based on your profile interests, but for instance I saw people that received full bottles of Ruby Wing color change nail polish and full trial bottles of shampoo and conditioner and I received a miniscule OPI and a cardboard sample of hair oil. I feel like the later you sign up, the later they stuff your box and you end up with junk because they've run out of the good stuff.

This month - which was a special US magazine edition - I received a bizarre sheer orange OPI mini nail polish, a small true sample of Agave OIl (which I do love but already use), a mini Eyeko eyeliner, a 0.17 serum sample - and worst of all - 2 damn tea bags. Over it. Ipsy is SO much better! This box, while only $10, is stuff you can get for free! A waste of time and money. Unfortunately.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/14/2014 11:03:00 PM More reviews by chapstickaddict

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been a subscriber for 2 years. Next month is my last & not renewing.
Several past boxes have been great and I have tried some new things I ended up loving (and some, hating) but man has the box gotten crappy in the past few months. This month was the worst so far. The samples are just underwhelming. There's usually a card in the box explaining the theme & contents, but didn't even get that. At least there's no edibles or perfume samples in it (which are the worst.) Oh, there's a weird sachet of some deodorant thing you rub on clothes, hair, whatever. Nope. I'm not renewing. My bathroom will have less clutter & thank me for it.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/14/2014 6:26:00 PM More reviews by mkp13

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Birchbox is everything that is wrong with America. I use makeupalley because I like to make sure I'm buying quality products. Ones that I will like, and that won't go unused and add clutter to my bathroom, and waste to a land fill. I like to cut back on extra junk in my life. So why would I pay $10 for a box of junk? That is just samples I could get for free anyway? Why would I pay to be marketed to? When I can find awesome reviews of things I might actually want online?

You get what I'm saying. What a scam. I wish this company would disappear. And stop robbing people of their 10$ a month.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/2/2014 7:38:00 PM More reviews by Love4Tulips

I am brand new to Birchbox, and in fact, I just received my first delivery today. My sister gifted me a 3-month subscription to the Birchbox monthly service because she knows how much I enjoy good beauty products. I never heard of Birchbox prior to Christmas, so I had an open mind about the concept of it...it really is a neat idea, but sadly, the IDEA is the best part about it. When my box came I opened it immediately, hoping for an eyeshadow sample, a nice lipgloss, some sort of mini face cream, just to name a few. In actuality, I got a candy bar, small perfume sample (one of those little vials) a poor-quality mini nail polish (in an unflattering shade...I've seen the same brand at Bed Bath & Beyond), a red lip stain (I'm more of a lipgloss girl) as well as a spray bottle of leave-in-conditioner...meh. I am completely unamused with the entire thing. The samples are just plain sad. Rather than throwing them away, I immediately started to make a mental note of people I know who MIGHT use the items so I can find them a good home. The worst part about it is that my dear sister is actually paying for this junk. I broke the news to her about how bad it is, and I wrote to the company to see about getting a refund/canceling the two remaining months. We'll see what happens. I honestly don't think I would even want these samples if they were being given away for free. You're better off going to one of the specialty beauty stores where trials and samples are free, so your actual money can be applied toward worthwhile, full-size products that you'll like and enjoy.

UPDATE: Birchbox has suprisingly good customer service, so I was allowed to cancel my next 2 gift shipments and use the money toward something in the online store. Sounded nice, but the online store isn't my favorite, however, I was able to snag some of my favorite toothpaste (Marvis brand) for nearly an even exchange (I only owed $1 after my store credit). It's safe to say I am COMPLETELY done with Birchbox...I'll stick with Sephora and Ulta.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/31/2013 11:49:00 AM More reviews by Miwhite

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really wanted to like birchbox. Really. During the five months I was a subscriber, I received maybe three things I was pleased with: Chapstick, a hair tie, and nail polish. I had been toying with canceling my subscription and after the December box, I did. Like others, my box appeared to be a random collection of crap. I threw most of it out. I'll save my $10 a month for something more worthwhile.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/30/2013 4:40:00 AM More reviews by justcath

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I was excited to subscribe to BB, but have been disappointed ever since. I have been a subscriber since june of this year and had TWO sample I even remotely liked (the 12benefits hair oil spray and a highlighter pencil) I was SO disappointed in the Dec box (the only thing that was remotely tolerable was the perfume sample) and it was skimpy... you'd think a holiday box would be EXTRA packed... no.

If January's box lets me down, I'll cancel for sure. On the other hand, I do reuse the cute kraft paper brown boxes to organize my makeup drawer. :)

rated 1 of 5 on 12/22/2013 5:20:00 AM More reviews by Blondebeauty2

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I had this subscription for exactly 6 months and in that time I liked one of my 6 boxes.. After I received this Dec box, I immediately canceled my subscription. There were 4 items including a foil packet of chocolate in this box. It was certainly not worth $10! Most of the time, my boxes weren't worth $10. I filled my profile out online and said that I wasn't interested in recieving hair products but almost every month I would still recieve shampoo & conditioner from some organic no name brand company. They do not customize ur individual box to you at all. I feel as though they send better boxes to people they know will review it and put a video up on YouTube. That's just unfair and poor business. Word of mouth is very important. They are ripping many people off by giving them junk. I honestly received maybe 3 products that I actually heard of in a six month span.. That's insane & I had to cancel. I've had Ipsy for two months & have liked both bags so far! Worth the $10 or more :)