October 31, 2014 | 1531 users online

Other - Heliocare Dietary Supplement for the Skin

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2014 5:18:00 PM More reviews by kyl77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I've been taking Heliocare Supplements this summer to boost my skin's sun protection, and they really do seem to work. I wear SPF on my face everyday, but don't bother with my body unless I'm going to be outdoors. Last week I got invited to a last minute trip to the zoo. Of course, I forgot to put sunscreen on my arms and neck. We were outdoors for hours, and normally I would get absolutely fried. I still got sunburned, but it was very minimal compared to how my skin would normally react. The sunburn also healed faster than normal. I recommend taking Heliocare everyday at least during the summer months. It has to build up in your system, so give it at least 2-4 weeks to do it's job. Remember: Heliocare isn't a substitute for sunscreen and doesn't claim to be. It is, however, a nice supplement to your sun protection program.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/24/2013 4:36:00 PM More reviews by Jstar2009

I take one Heliocare Ultra D3 everyday as part of my UV defence regime- HG supplement here. Along with topical sunscreen I really love the idea of creating an internal defence against everyday UVA that goes all over the body. Along with Heliocare, I take Lycopene, Astaxathin, and Lutein, as well as consuming raw cocao and matcha green tea. Along with topicals, I hope that they will contribute significantly to my skin's defence- we have all read that UVA light is inescapable and everyday exposure is the culprit when it comes to skin aging. I have noticed that there is more of a glow to my skin as a previous reviewer has noted- perhaps its placebo or my skin being impervious to uva attack! :) Anywho, the studies demonstrate that this does work internally to protect the skin and I will continue to take it. Dermatologists also seem to recommend and take it themselves- which is always a good sign!

P.s. the Ultra D3 also contains lutein and lycopene for added benefit as well as Vit D3.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/17/2013 2:58:00 PM More reviews by VicklePickle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Harvard studies can't be wrong, right? This has been proven to help skin protect itself from the sun in numerous studies. I use sunblock, but it wipes off and I'm sure I miss spots sometimes. This is my backup! It's cheaper now that there are additional manufacturers ($30 at Walgreens).

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2012 9:08:00 AM More reviews by NatashaJ

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I bought this at my dermatologist's recommendation. I have really great skin (her description, though I am not complaining), probably because I have been using Retin-A since I was 18 and have worn sunscreen religiously every single day since a bad burn when I was 16. I bought this mostly to boost the antioxidants in my system to counteract the chemical reaction that occurs on the skin when UV rays react with chemical sunscreens (preliminary data shows that these reactions could be as bad as plain UV exposure).

I have been using one pill a day (bottle of 60 for 30.00, they recommend taking one in the morning, so I don't double up per day) for 3 weeks and maybe I am feeling a placebo effect, but I swear my skin is more even and has a "glow" to it, like I am wearing bronzer. I will definitely repurchase, it is only 50 cents a day and I am a raw vegan so I do not take other supplements (than D3 and B12, which are cheapo) so I can justify it. I do recommend it, though I don't have a ton of empirical data to support it is more than a mild antioxidant.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2011 1:43:00 AM More reviews by YuzuBunny

This is a dietary supplement for the skin. It claims it is a "natural anti-aging supplement with antioxidant effects on the skin." It is often marketed for use to alleviate sun damage. It is not intended to provide any type of sunscreen effect, so you must still wear sunscreen regularly and correctly.

This is a an orange capsule pill that you take 1-2 times a day. It is bigger than a tylenol capsule, but is still not difficult to swallow.

I received a 10-pill sample and took them when I went on a trip in a tropical climate. I didn't have any thoughts about the product, but thought it probably wouldn't hurt to use it, since I would be in a lot of sun. It didn't have any negative effects, but I didn't feel any positive effects either. I guess it has some scientific data to back up its antioxidant activity, but its just one of those products where you just can't be sure if it works or not, especially since it is meant for the long term.

I won't necessarily buy it again because I don't really take supplements. It is a bit expensive at almost $1 USD per pill, and you take one pill per day, or two if you get a lot of sun exposure. But I guess if you are really concerned about your skin and sun it could be ok.