Shiseido Perfect Foundation Brush

4.5

on 8/23/2015 11:51:00 AM

This is, the Perfect Foundation Brush for me. I've owned quite a few "stippling brushes" but ever since I bought this brush, it has been the one. It is quite safe for me to say that this is my all time, favourite, HG foundation brush.

Pardon me if I start rambling but this is an incredibly travel-friendly brush. Its short handle makes it such a joy to just throw into small makeup pouches, which makes me even happier. It's synthetic bristles are very soft, dense and incredibly directional, thanks to its slightly tapered tip.

Previously, I struggled to blend out foundation in the corners of my nose, but with this, all is possible. This sheers out foundation like no other, giving you a natural, glowy look (but of course, the base product of choice is important too), and you can build up your foundation coverage with this, yet look like you haven't got a ton of makeup on.

I've never experienced shedding with this brush, and I've been using the same brush for over five years now. It also dries a whole lot faster than other stippling brushes, making it an all-round winner in my books.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I did it. I spent $30 on a make up a brush for the first time in my life. Do I feel guilty? Absolutely. Do I regret it? Heck nah! Ive been upgrading my beauty products and bought Urban Decay Foundation and it looked good. Except my darn Beauty Blender wasnt giving me what I wanted. I had make up brushes and tried using that but that made it look worse. I researched the best make up brushes. I was hesitant because it just seemed kinda ridiculous to spend so much on a make up brush. I stumbled upon this brush and was intrigued because it had an Award. I read review and blogs and was getting excited by all the positive reviews. I went out to Macy's and bought it.

Life has been changed. I didnt know a brush could work wonders! Its small which is great because it allows you to have control of the brush and maneuver it easily in hard to get areas, like around my red nose. The first dab of foundation onto my face from this brush was perfect. It looked great! It was photoshopping my face right before my eyes. It was easy! I didnt have to fix mistakes it just did what it was supposed to do. The box came with instructions on how to use it for light, medium, or heavy coverage. The brush is soft its not scratchy or irritating and feels nice. I looked flawless afterwards.

I highly recommend this brush! You dont have to do much work it does it all for you. Yes its expensive but it saves time and has you feeling pretty and confident. You wont regret it =D

on 6/27/2015 11:06:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I can't believe that I'm going to state so but ladies and gents I've FINALLY found the ideal foundation brush and would gladly sing its praises off the rooftops!

Seriously, this is simply and absolutely immaculate. I've tried so many foundation brushes across the whole price range and never had real luck. Paddle brushes never created a streak free application and who wants to do extra buffing every time and work with mediocre tools? Stippling brushes were not really pleasant to use because who wants to apply foundadtion while poking their face? Even the infamous MAC 187 is left neglected - too big, sheds and pokes my face. Sponges suck even more product and feel kind of gimmicky. Fingers aren't fool prof either and don't work great with every formula. Even the greatest foundation won't reach its full potential without proper tools.

Enter the Shiseido brush. Yes it's not cheap - bought it for 37 euros at Sephora - but come one, there are far pricier brushes that don't deliver half as great results and think of all the money you've spent for other tools so far. And it's small. Which to me is a great advantage because it can reach any area with precision and due to the angled cut it fits all the face's corners, sides of the nose and undereye area. Try doing so with a large stippling brush; no dice. Dot the face with founadtion and then spread with the brush. It's also so soft and dense that creates streak free application and can provide different results according to what moves you make; stippling motions for higher coverage, swirling motions to deposit the foundation in a slightly more sheer way and swipping motions for the outer parts of the face such as the hair line to avoid excess of product there and create flawless finish. It does take a couple more minutes compared to finger application for example but to me it's more than worth it.

Bottom line; this brush is a little wonder. Only drawback is that I'll probably have to buy a second one soon. I wash foundation brushes after every use for optimal application and hygienic reasons. As others have pointed out it's not the easiest to clean due to its density and takes a while to dry. Firstly I wash with conditioning shampoo and then soak in a small amount of MAC brush cleanser while moving it back and forth so even the bristles in the middle will come clean. Swipe on a towel and lay flat to dry. Too bad I'm spoilt now and the other brushes leave me unsatisfied so another one will probably be needed. One of my best purchases ever.

Edit: Surprisingly the next best thing is the H&M BB Cream Brush which is similarly shaped but larger, not as dense and costs around 8 euros (pics above)

on 6/23/2015 7:59:00 PM

I got this brush in Japan. It was almost half the price! I bought it because of so many good reviews about it, and I must say I was not disappointed. I use it on liquid foundations and it glides on smoothly and makes my skin look so poreless. Not sure if it's the brush or the foundation though!
It's small size makes it very easy to pack. I love it! I just regret not buying a lot!

on 5/2/2015 8:59:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

This is super thick synthetic brush at a great price that gives a flawless application. Dip it in product and *gently* stipple/press it into the skin. It's short, which I prefer because it makes it great for travel and also fits neatly in cosmetics storage drawers at home. I know some people complain about the brush head being small, but it stipples so well (because it's so dense) that there is no buffing needed and application is SO QUICK once you get the hang of it. I use this for applying primer and liquid foundation, but it also apparently works with powders as well (check out the Shiseido demo on YouTube). The asymmetrical shape and small size make it good for concealer too, though I have another brush I'm partial to using for that. All in all, this brush with incredible value--especially at $30. I will probably pick up another for backup at some point.

on 12/2/2014 11:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have sensitive dry skin and this brush DID NOT work for me. It made my skin flakier and irritated my skin.

I bought this brush because the sales clerk raved about it for almost 5 minutes and I needed a good foundation brush but now I want to go back and scream for my money back.

on 8/14/2014 9:57:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Definitely soft to the touch. I've used it to apply liquid concealer, powder foundation, and BB cream, all extremely successfully. Because of how dense it is, it helps apply it for more coverage, so I use this with powder foundation (in a patting motion) and it applies flawlessly.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Update:11th August:
I hate having spent so much money and not making use of an item.
Now, I am happier - I found a use for this brush - applying cream blusher!!!
Yipee, and it's perfect. It's small size enables me a better control in the blending. Wonderful.
---------------------------------------------------------
I so much wanted to love this brush.
No, I am not complaining of the small size - this is fine with me as I just work on small areas at a time and it is indeed helpful for sides of nose etc.
It must be the densed hairs that is giving me the problem - it just deposits foundation into the tiny pores on my nose and when I look closer, it looks like I got white heads all over my nose. And it's not because my foundation is lighter/colour does not blend into my skin colour. The 'white heads' is just on my nose and nowhere else.
I noticed it when i first started using this - be it powder foundation or my Dior Skin foundation or my Dior BB cream.
I put it aside and tried to forget it and the money I plonked on it.
Then I came across Goss Wayne's tip about powdering one's face before applying foundation.
So, I took this brush out again, and this time I used Sulwahsoo's creamy/cushion foundation.
The 'white heads' appear again.
I had to wipe/scrub off the foundation, on my nose area, re-apply with the sponge that came with the foundation. - no 'white heads'.
Sadly, I now deduce - this foundation brush gives me 'white heads' on my nose.
Back into the drawer it will be, to be bin-ned one fine day, I supposed.

on 6/7/2014 10:21:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Im loving this brush. I collected MAC brushes, but somehow i cant find a suitable brush for a natural sheer finish. So i googled online and find rave reviews on this. Bought it and it really works well with my MAC Face and body. Dot some foundation on my face then just swipe the brush. Gives a very natural finish, like im not wearing makeup. The only problem i have with this brush is washing it. Took a while to get all the foundation out maybe because the bristles is so dense.

on 5/22/2014 6:37:00 AM

Amazing! Blends so good and can get right into small areas around you nose and under the eye, could not use another foundation brush after having this one as it the only one I have had that doesn't leave brush streaks. Love this product!

Popular Makeup Brushes