September 23, 2014 | 1711 users online

Makeup Brushes - Shiseido - Perfect Foundation Brush

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2014 9:57:00 PM More reviews by oniondip

Definitely soft to the touch. I've used it to apply liquid concealer, powder foundation, and BB cream, all extremely successfully. Because of how dense it is, it helps apply it for more coverage, so I use this with powder foundation (in a patting motion) and it applies flawlessly.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2014 11:57:00 PM More reviews by meluvcosmetics

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

Update:11th August:
I hate having spent so much money and not making use of an item.
Now, I am happier - I found a use for this brush - applying cream blusher!!!
Yipee, and it's perfect. It's small size enables me a better control in the blending. Wonderful.
---------------------------------------------------------
I so much wanted to love this brush.
No, I am not complaining of the small size - this is fine with me as I just work on small areas at a time and it is indeed helpful for sides of nose etc.
It must be the densed hairs that is giving me the problem - it just deposits foundation into the tiny pores on my nose and when I look closer, it looks like I got white heads all over my nose. And it's not because my foundation is lighter/colour does not blend into my skin colour. The 'white heads' is just on my nose and nowhere else.
I noticed it when i first started using this - be it powder foundation or my Dior Skin foundation or my Dior BB cream.
I put it aside and tried to forget it and the money I plonked on it.
Then I came across Goss Wayne's tip about powdering one's face before applying foundation.
So, I took this brush out again, and this time I used Sulwahsoo's creamy/cushion foundation.
The 'white heads' appear again.
I had to wipe/scrub off the foundation, on my nose area, re-apply with the sponge that came with the foundation. - no 'white heads'.
Sadly, I now deduce - this foundation brush gives me 'white heads' on my nose.
Back into the drawer it will be, to be bin-ned one fine day, I supposed.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2014 10:21:00 PM More reviews by ibangal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Im loving this brush. I collected MAC brushes, but somehow i cant find a suitable brush for a natural sheer finish. So i googled online and find rave reviews on this. Bought it and it really works well with my MAC Face and body. Dot some foundation on my face then just swipe the brush. Gives a very natural finish, like im not wearing makeup. The only problem i have with this brush is washing it. Took a while to get all the foundation out maybe because the bristles is so dense.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2014 6:37:00 AM More reviews by Emmamua

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Amazing! Blends so good and can get right into small areas around you nose and under the eye, could not use another foundation brush after having this one as it the only one I have had that doesn't leave brush streaks. Love this product!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2014 11:44:00 PM More reviews by supapo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

This is quite expensive for a brush but well worth it. It give a flawless finish regardless how i apply. Sheer coverage if I sweep outwards and heavier coverage when I dap. I will definitly recommend and repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/17/2014 3:56:00 AM More reviews by currybabe

MINUS ONE LIPPY BECAUSE I think the Beauty Blender (currently, my HG) does a better -if not the best - job at creating the airbrushed finish. After the Beauty Blender, I'll go to this brush for foundation application.

The GREAT THING ABOUT IT is it applies foundation compactly, i.e., your foundation will go on with the most coverage (whereas the dampened Beauty Blender sheers out your foundation -- but I just apply another layer to fix that). It's also great for getting into hard to reach places like around your nose and under your eyes.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/30/2014 11:57:00 AM More reviews by starzi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

I LOVE this brush! Gives you a flawless look depending on how you apply it. Swiping it will give you normal coverage, but if you dab it, it will give you more coverage whilst not looking too heavy! However, it does eat up more foundation compared to other foundation brushes, I think because of how dense it is, but its the density which gives the flawless, heavier coverage! Takes longer to dry too after washing, so I always make sure I give it plenty of time to dry, or put it under the sun. I like that the handle isn't too long, as I've noticed with my MAC one, I keep jabbing the mirror whilst applying foundation. I've had this brush over a year now, (2years this xmas), and haven't noticed any shedding maybe around 5 bristles have fallen off since? The handle and logo look pretty much the same as when I bought them. Great quality brush, does what I want it to do and more! Will definitely replace this one when I need to get rid of it, but I don't think that will be any time soon! Price wise, wasn't too bad, think I bought it for HKD400.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2014 11:23:00 AM More reviews by Blahble

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I rated this fairly high because even though the price is high, it's not (much) higher than, say, a MAC foundation brush, and I find that it does the job much better. Given that, the value I'm paying is more worthwhile and yes, I would buy it again!

I've had this for 1.5 years but never really got how to use it. I read the reviews and thought that I just HAD to have this as my foundation was looking... well, you could see it! Flawless skin I did not have.

I played around with it and didn't find much difference than if I used a MAC 190 brush, which was disappointing. I tried stippling, swiping, buffing, but to no avail. On top of that, I found that it sucked up foundation like crazy! What used to take 1 pump took almost 2. =O

The secret? APPLY CIRCLES OF FOUNDATION TO YOUR FACE FIRST. I somehow stumbled across Shiseido's how-to videos for this brush earlier this week and just *had* to try this out. Lo and behold, my face looked flawless! Even spots which needed more coverage didn't look more covered, if you know what I mean.

So now my foundations, which I thought just weren't connecting with my skin well (get it? cuz it's just sitting on top?... haha... oh well) have gotten a new lease with this brush, and my wallet can breathe a sigh of relief that I'm not on the hunt for a new foundation! Altho the Hourglass matte sample I tried is di-vine. Any case, my Burberry Sheer foundation and Velvet foundation will bve used to the last drop I can get, and I'll give MUFE another go too.

Links to the vids:
Shiseido USA (good for understanding different technique for different forms of foundation but more like an ad/promo clip than a true how-to)

Shiseido HK (done in Japanese but much more thorough in showing the difference after application)

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2014 11:54:00 PM More reviews by msh9899

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

The Shiseido Foundation brush applies foundation like no other foundation brush (paddle or other Kabuki-style brush), sponge or Beauty Blender that I've ever used. It is a Kabuki type of brush w/ a rounded, flat head which is comprised of very dense, short, angled, synthetic hairs. The hairs are super soft & silky to the touch. The black, wooden handle is shorter than your typical foundation brush as the entire brush, from bottom of the handle to the longest end of its slanted bristles, is a mere 4 1/2 inches long. The diameter of the brush head is a smidge less than that of a quarter (as in the US coin). I was initially disappointed and puzzled by its diminutive size but after a few uses, I was in love. The smaller size makes it less cumbersome to hold and the smaller brush-head helps to target tighter corners on the face such as the sides of the nose and the inner corners of the eyes. It's also very travel friendly.

I use 3 different techniques to apply product with this brush: 1) brush on using back & forth &/or up & down motions 2) swirl on using circular motions, swirling product into skin 3) stippling, sort of bluntly tapping product in and onto the skin. Each technique produces a somewhat different effect and I find that swirling gives the lightest finish and stippling produces heavier coverage. As for the overall finish this brush produces, with any application method, I would describe it as "air-brushed" and incredibly natural. It applies foundation and concealer flawlessly and does not create any tell-tale streaks or lines. I've used it w/ liquid, cream & stick foundations, TM's, BB creams and w/ all types of u/e concealers. I don't use mineral or powder foundations so I can't say if it would work as well w/ them.

I bought mine at least 4 years ago and although it's not cheap ($30 US), it's less expensive than many other HE brushes and offers exceptional quality and durability, so IMO, it's worth every cent. I have washed this brush 30+ times in very warm, sudsy water and not one, single hair has ever shed from it nor has the quality or softness of the bristles deteriorated. Furthermore, the wooden handle's finish and the metal around the brush has not peeled, cracked, flaked or faded. It honestly looks brand new despite its daily use and many "shampoos".

Washing it is not difficult- I stand brush up (brush head facing down) in a disposable cup of a very warm, soapy mixture of either my shampoo or liquid dish detergent and soak the bristles for about 5 minutes. As it soaks, I push down on it and swirl it around a few times to further release any product and then I rinse it in under cold, running water until the water runs clear. Next, I blot on a white paper towel to make sure it's clean, repeat if necessary and let it air dry overnight. Because it is so dense, it does require more time than other foundation brushes do to dry so I always allow at least 8-10 hours of drying time. The extra drying time may be an issue for some but I personally think it's worth it. This is how I clean and dry all of my makeup brushes so I don't find the process to be an additional burden. .

The Shiseido Foundation brush is an absolutely fabulous foundation brush! It is sleek and sexy (yeah, I think a makeup brush can actually be sexy!), well made, superior in quality, and provides a flawless, natural finish.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2014 8:15:00 AM More reviews by ceen

Enhances foundation application, delivering polished finish with relative ease, saving both time and effort. Highly portable too. A winner.