August 23, 2014 | 1806 users online

Liquid - Illamasqua - Skin Base foundation

rated 1 of 5 on 8/17/2014 6:45:00 AM More reviews by Sophielxx

Horrific...only word I can think to describe this.

Bought this on a whim without looking at reviews first, and the colour match was completely off.

Tried to make it work regardless - thought maybe used sparingly, it wouldn't be so obvious (big mistake - I looked like Bart Simpson with jaundice!!)

After a few hours, it was almost as if it has risen and was sat on top of the oils. I tried everything - with primer, without primer, with powder, without powder. I tried four different brushes, stippling, buffing, anything I could think of. The result was always the same. I would end up taking it off at lunch time and reapplying as it was getting progressively worse!

I was rematched in the end by a different sales girl as they would not let me return, only exchange, only to find it looked like I had been smacked in the face with a bag of flour. A third sales girl was there when I went back after a walk around looking as if I had witnessed the resurrection of Michael Jackson, who decided it would probably be easier on everybody's stress levels if I was just given a refund.

I will never ever even look at Illamasqua's foundations again after that horrific trip - I will stick to my beloved MAC I think!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2014 2:32:00 AM More reviews by huntybooboo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

this is my favorite foundation and has been my go-to for a couple years now. it's very concentrated in pigment & i use an amount abt the size of a pea for full coverage everyday, a bit more for a truly flawless/nighttime look. it doesn't look or feel heavy despite the great coverage & it sets better than most foundations i've tried. a lot seem to want to come off even while i'm still putting them on, but this pretty much stays where i put it. it lasts very well both on the face throughout the day/night as well as in the tube; one lasts at least 4 months for me.

i apply w/ fingers in gentle sweeping/circular strokes over lightly moisturized skin. i haven't really bothered to try it w/ brushes tbh bc it works so well w/ fingers & i prefer that. i think a lot of people buff it in to avoid cakeyness esp on dry skin, but my skin is normal/combination & i haven't had any issues w/ that. i don't usually prime but have tried this w/ hourglass veil mineral which worked well. i also once got the illamasqua hydraveil w/ this in a value kit from their website & it works beautifully w/ that of course; i intend to try it with the matte veil when i get that as well. i have set w/ many different powders & most work pretty well w/ it; my current fave is elf studio hd.

one of the other great things abt it for me is the shade selection, particularly on the pale end. i've used shades 3 & 4.5. they are pretty close in color & both work for my fair, slightly warm-leaning skin. normally i reach for the fairest shade in a range of foundation & it's often not quite pale enough &/or a bit too pink, but there are a lot of shades to try here for pale people, & a white to mix & lighten, which is also invaluable for makeup artists. the range is unfortunately not quite as wide on the deeper end but there are some fairly dark shades, as well as a large spread in the middle.

i've been pretty impressed w/ illamasqua products overall; they're a truly artistic brand & cruelty-free which is a must for me, & this is the crown jewel of their whole line for me. different things may work better for different people, but i'll keep coming back for this again & again.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/8/2014 6:29:00 PM More reviews by mervesen

A friend of mine had this foundation and she didnt like it. I asked her to give me for trying and I would say I couldnt see any special thing from it. It is a bit thick consistent liquid (usually I am using YSL touche eclat) and medium to high coverage. It has a tendency to be cakey so thin layers is working better. I have got Nr. 3 which is quite pale, a bit yellow undertone liquid which is a bit light for me but I wanted to try. Pixiwoo sisters are loving it but I think their face and skin is just gorgeous (especially Nick, such an extraordinary face structure and healthy skin, OMG!!...). So in their skin I could imagine that it will look good. If I will make pros/cons:

Pros:
-High coverage
-Good color selection
-It is moisturizing your skin lightly but it doesnt look full shiny (a bit like healthy glow)

Cons:
-Price
-It can become cakey so careful about amout
-It can be too much for oily skin

I think you can find a similar product for lower price. For that price it is not so much promising.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2014 5:27:00 AM More reviews by jamd7967

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I bought the Illamasqua skin base foundation as part of a long ongoing search for a good foundation with staying power in the right colour for my very pale, sensitive skin. The first time I used it was a disaster. The colour (02), perfect, but the application and cover, awful. Even with clean, well moisterised skin with a good primer, it sunk into the pores making them visible to even my very short sighted, unspectacled eyes. I normally give in at this stage (not the first time that what appeared to be the perfect one had major flaws) but persevered because the colour match was the most perfect, ever. I actually found that by classically applying very little dabs of foundation on my skin and pressing it gently into the skin rather than rubbing or massaging, gave me the cover I wanted and a flawless finish. Since then, I have worn it continually. The cover looks natural, not cakey. It feels really lovely and luxurious to use, being creamy in texture. My skin glows (but not in the way that ladies of a certain age can 'glow' ) and it lasts, even in our current hot spell of weather. I really hope this helps others.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/12/2014 6:25:00 PM More reviews by Coconoire84

I've had so many compliments about my skin when I use the illamasqua skin base foundation. People usually ask am i wearing any foundation or what am I using in my skin. The foundation has a really lovely consistency that gives good coverage but feels light on the skin and can be buildable. This foundation makes my skin look like.. Well skin! It's looks youthful, flawless and perfectly dewy. Not oily or shiny, but healthy supple delicious skin. Being a mother to a very active 2 year old my skin really can feel tired and dull especially from lack of sleep but this product hides my exhausted eyes and face so well. It's so fresh looking and lasts a long time. I've had my tube for about a year! The only thing I don't like about the product is the tube it comes in.. It's a great brand, amazing foundation But the tube looks like a plastic cheap product. This foundation deserves to be enveloped in a tall elegant glass bottle with gold writing and a pump!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2014 2:12:00 PM More reviews by Chanicejade

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

For the first few months I absolutely loved this foundation, it have amazing coverage, perfect colour match and looked flawless in pictures. My skin was combination and quite clear, however, over the months my skin started to break out every time I wore it :( but overall amazing, especially for those lucky ones with clear skin

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2014 7:38:00 AM More reviews by dolliedsj1989

Having tried various foundations over the years, I think this foundation is fab! It make skin look flawless and covers all blemishes well. A little does go a long way and it isn't the cheapest foundation on the market but it is defiantly worth it, at first when you purchase it doesn't look like much as the bottle is quite small. But I have had this for over 3 months now, use every single day and still have a lot left. I also use on clients who love the flawless finish. If I'm going out somewhere and would like more converge I tend to mix this with a little of mac face/body foundation. It works a dream and gives more coverage and is perfect if I'm wearing fake tan. Great product, great results. Must have product

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/29/2014 6:49:00 PM More reviews by tootswoots

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

2/24/14:This foundation is not for dry skinned people I think. I like this foundation for when my skin is oilier.. Usually I have dry combo skin but in the winter it dries out quite a bit. If I wear this, I make sure I have a moisturizing base underneath... even a thick sunscreen works nicely. I do like the coverage and look of it. Previously I was wearing Chanel Vita Lumiere Aqua - liked that a lot, may go back to it in fact..
Edit 4/29/14: I've pretty much given up on this for the winter and spring. Will try it again in summertime. Also, it's a tad light for me so may have to darken it with a little of something else.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/6/2014 5:46:00 PM More reviews by Noeyma

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I was really excited to try this as I have tried so many foundations and heard great things about this. My skin is fair and I bought shade 02 which I applied using a buffing brush. A little goes a long way, which is about the positive thing about this foundation. As soon as I put it on I could feel my skin getting really irritated. I tried to keep it on for as long as possible and in that time it enhanced the few wrinkles that I have, especially on my forehead and completely clogged into my pores so there were dots of foundation in my pores. I have dry skin and this highlighted each and every dry area that I have on my face. Really disappointed, considering that I will never use it again but paid well over $40 for it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2014 8:39:00 PM More reviews by emilily

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really love this foundation. I have combination skin and my nose/T zone does get a little oily but nothing unmanageable. The colour 3.5 is a perfect match for my skin (unlike the NC20 that a MAC MUA matched me with, which came out yellow/orange on me).

This foundation lasts all day, is medium coverage and applies well with my EcoTools foundation brush. I am waiting for my real techniques order to come through so I can try applying with a stippling brush.

It looks nice applied with some blush and highlighter (obviously just using foundation will leave a rather "flat" result).

It was also only $41 from Myer in Australia, compared to MAC (which starts at around $50) and then other brands much more expensive. Give it a try!