December 19, 2014 | 996 users online

Liquid - Illamasqua - Skin Base foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 11/10/2014 8:23:00 PM More reviews by GeorginaG

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Love this foundation! You can always tell in pictures when I have it on. You must apply it sparingly or build for fuller coverage, otherwise it sits on your skin looking like thick foundation. The bottle is great as the way it stands means no furious shaking to get the product out. Set with Illamasqua translucent loose powder or Dermablend setting powder. The only negative is the price compared to high st brands but it is worth it (particularly if you're very pale and struggle to find the right shade), but Illamasqua have a discount loyalty scheme and a few promotions a year. I have the compact foundation too but it doesn't apply smoothly after a few months. Much prefer skin base liquid! I use SB3.5 and am a MAC NC15.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/2/2014 10:53:00 AM More reviews by NC1987

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

i do like this foundation, its nice for good coverage so i use when i go out. it is slightly on the pricy side and its a bit of a nightmare to get out of the tube. Probably won't buy again.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/23/2014 12:06:00 AM More reviews by jjquan

When I initially started using this product, it had great coverage and didn't make me super oily. I had put it aside to use another foundation and came back to it and for some reason, it didn't suit my skin anymore. If you're looking for that dewy skin look, this will do it for you, but if you have oily skin, stay away! This made my skin even oilier looking and I found that the foundation slid as the day progressed - even after setting it. I would say that this is light coverage. I wouldn't recommend trying to layer this, as it would just make it oily. I loved the packaging. The shape is really unique and easy to dispense. Unfortunately, this product was just not for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/16/2014 4:02:00 AM More reviews by LongBeachGirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I happened late on a sale for Illamasqua with most everything sold except their foundation. Lots and lots of foundation in only two shades, 03 and their darkest color. Took a chance and got the 03 which turned out to be a perfect match. Not only that, it is such a gorgeous foundation that looks better than every favourite foundation I have ever owned. Using a damp beauty blender and really pressing it into the skin makes it last the entire day. The best thing is it seems to look better as the day goes on. I ended up going back and buying three more bottles but if I could have I'd have bought a dozen.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2014 7:38:00 AM More reviews by sharminasyeda

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

For a girl who usually sticks with BB cream and tinted moisturiser, this foundation is a godsend! It's light yet effective and doesn't feel heavy on the skin which is exactly what I was looking for.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/8/2014 11:28:00 AM More reviews by nelehhx

This is one of the many foundations I have tried, which I have put on and thought "Oh my god I look AMAZING, my search is finally over, HG!!!!", and only a few hours later to realise that I just wasted $50.

The colour match is fabulous. It makes me look GORGEOUS. I have porcelain skin and I can't even explain it... it's radiant, the coverage is crazy, it makes me look like a doll. The coverage is also undetectable, it looks so natural. It's really beautiful.

...until about an hour later when the madness begins. This gets oddly shiny in an hour... it contains talc (which I wasn't happy about) so technically, it should control oil to some (ANY, PLEASE) extent. But instead it makes you oilier. Chemistry you crazy thang. So yeah, it gets really shiny super quickly - even if i set with powder. It makes no difference. And it's a real oil shine, not a 'my skin is healthy and i'm luminous' shine.

It also broke me out pretty badly. Bad for me, anyways - like three pretty big zits at any one time. Of course I was in denial and thought 'i haven't been drinking enough water!' while downing 20L a day. As well as zits it kind of just clogged up my whole face... my skin texture went from smooth to bumpy with a lot more redness than usual. But the foundation would 100% cover it all anyways so I persevered for a bit.

At this stage I am no longer using it as my every day. I might keep it to wear on special occasions because the coverage and finish are so nice but eh. Once the bottle finishes I won't repurchase. My skin deserves better.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/17/2014 6:45:00 AM More reviews by Sophielxx

Horrific...only word I can think to describe this.

Bought this on a whim without looking at reviews first, and the colour match was completely off.

Tried to make it work regardless - thought maybe used sparingly, it wouldn't be so obvious (big mistake - I looked like Bart Simpson with jaundice!!)

After a few hours, it was almost as if it has risen and was sat on top of the oils. I tried everything - with primer, without primer, with powder, without powder. I tried four different brushes, stippling, buffing, anything I could think of. The result was always the same. I would end up taking it off at lunch time and reapplying as it was getting progressively worse!

I was rematched in the end by a different sales girl as they would not let me return, only exchange, only to find it looked like I had been smacked in the face with a bag of flour. A third sales girl was there when I went back after a walk around looking as if I had witnessed the resurrection of Michael Jackson, who decided it would probably be easier on everybody's stress levels if I was just given a refund.

I will never ever even look at Illamasqua's foundations again after that horrific trip - I will stick to my beloved MAC I think!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2014 2:32:00 AM More reviews by huntybooboo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

this is my favorite foundation and has been my go-to for a couple years now. it's very concentrated in pigment & i use an amount abt the size of a pea for full coverage everyday, a bit more for a truly flawless/nighttime look. it doesn't look or feel heavy despite the great coverage & it sets better than most foundations i've tried. a lot seem to want to come off even while i'm still putting them on, but this pretty much stays where i put it. it lasts very well both on the face throughout the day/night as well as in the tube; one lasts at least 4 months for me.

i apply w/ fingers in gentle sweeping/circular strokes over lightly moisturized skin. i haven't really bothered to try it w/ brushes tbh bc it works so well w/ fingers & i prefer that. i think a lot of people buff it in to avoid cakeyness esp on dry skin, but my skin is normal/combination & i haven't had any issues w/ that. i don't usually prime but have tried this w/ hourglass veil mineral which worked well. i also once got the illamasqua hydraveil w/ this in a value kit from their website & it works beautifully w/ that of course; i intend to try it with the matte veil when i get that as well. i have set w/ many different powders & most work pretty well w/ it; my current fave is elf studio hd.

one of the other great things abt it for me is the shade selection, particularly on the pale end. i've used shades 3 & 4.5. they are pretty close in color & both work for my fair, slightly warm-leaning skin. normally i reach for the fairest shade in a range of foundation & it's often not quite pale enough &/or a bit too pink, but there are a lot of shades to try here for pale people, & a white to mix & lighten, which is also invaluable for makeup artists. the range is unfortunately not quite as wide on the deeper end but there are some fairly dark shades, as well as a large spread in the middle.

i've been pretty impressed w/ illamasqua products overall; they're a truly artistic brand & cruelty-free which is a must for me, & this is the crown jewel of their whole line for me. different things may work better for different people, but i'll keep coming back for this again & again.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/8/2014 6:29:00 PM More reviews by mervesen

A friend of mine had this foundation and she didnt like it. I asked her to give me for trying and I would say I couldnt see any special thing from it. It is a bit thick consistent liquid (usually I am using YSL touche eclat) and medium to high coverage. It has a tendency to be cakey so thin layers is working better. I have got Nr. 3 which is quite pale, a bit yellow undertone liquid which is a bit light for me but I wanted to try. Pixiwoo sisters are loving it but I think their face and skin is just gorgeous (especially Nick, such an extraordinary face structure and healthy skin, OMG!!...). So in their skin I could imagine that it will look good. If I will make pros/cons:

Pros:
-High coverage
-Good color selection
-It is moisturizing your skin lightly but it doesnt look full shiny (a bit like healthy glow)

Cons:
-Price
-It can become cakey so careful about amout
-It can be too much for oily skin

I think you can find a similar product for lower price. For that price it is not so much promising.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2014 5:27:00 AM More reviews by jamd7967

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I bought the Illamasqua skin base foundation as part of a long ongoing search for a good foundation with staying power in the right colour for my very pale, sensitive skin. The first time I used it was a disaster. The colour (02), perfect, but the application and cover, awful. Even with clean, well moisterised skin with a good primer, it sunk into the pores making them visible to even my very short sighted, unspectacled eyes. I normally give in at this stage (not the first time that what appeared to be the perfect one had major flaws) but persevered because the colour match was the most perfect, ever. I actually found that by classically applying very little dabs of foundation on my skin and pressing it gently into the skin rather than rubbing or massaging, gave me the cover I wanted and a flawless finish. Since then, I have worn it continually. The cover looks natural, not cakey. It feels really lovely and luxurious to use, being creamy in texture. My skin glows (but not in the way that ladies of a certain age can 'glow' ) and it lasts, even in our current hot spell of weather. I really hope this helps others.