September 21, 2014 | 1583 users online

Styling Products - John Frieda - 3-day Straight Semi-Permanent Styling Spray

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2014 4:23:00 PM More reviews by prettypollyperkins

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Okay, this is my first time using this type of product so I'll try to be brief and also fair. I have bra-strap length coloured, fine hair that has a bit of a wave. It only has to get a whiff of humidity to go slightly to moderately pear-shaped (euphemism for crap) and it's currently VERY humid here in London. So I washed it, conditioned, got it towel dry, sprayed this stuff exactly 7 times in different areas and brushed through from the scalp to the ends. Then I blasted it with the drier and straightened it. The first thing I noticed was straightening it was much quicker than normal. My hair was a tiny bit flatter than normal but it was very shiny and stayed very straight (not perfectly, but 'very') all day. I did not expect 3 days of straightness as I tend to wash my hair almost every day to keep it looking it's best, due to having a somewhat oily scalp, so I couldn't test the 3 day claim. And it's just as well, because by the very end of the day my hair felt greasy and limp. But for me it is a very good product. I'm not sure how long 100ml will last but as I don't straighten every day it's highly likely I'll buy it again as it's the first John Frieda product I haven't found too much fault with since his early days, way before Brilliant Brunette (yes, I'm that old!). Overall, I prefer L'Oreal Eversleek spray for straightening in humid conditions, as it doesn't weigh my hair down at all and make it limp the way 3 Day Straight does by the end of the day which means I can get away with using dry shampoo the next day. It has similar properties except it doesn't leave the hair as poker straight which I personally don't mind, but then it's not exactly the same kind of product. UPDATE: I'm using less product and getting the same very straight, extremely shiny hair but without any oiliness or limpness. I've found that for my hair type it works best after using just a light conditioner - non-keratin, no cones (Biolage Volumatherapie is ideal). Still expensive for the amount you get but I will definitely repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/3/2014 12:19:00 PM More reviews by curlykat

I've used this about 4 times now so I feel I've had enough experience to give an accurate review from my perspective.

My hauir is thick, scraggly curly from crown down and almost afro with tight curls from crown and above. This crazy difference makes my hair a complete pain to deal with. People that don't know what I go through to get a good hair day think I have the most beautiful thick hair. They would love my hair .... if only they knew!

This product has changed the way I do my hair and I've been using products since I was 15 (I'm 41 now). To have pin straight hair you need to make sure every strand is covered BUT not oversaturate as that makes it thicker, sticky and you'll want to wash it sooner .... which we don't want to do at all right?! That in itself makes this product very tricky. You need to practice to get the best result. Is your hair typically not greasy and you can go 4+ days without washing it usually? If so this is perfect for you. I can go 4 or 5 days without washing usually but if you use too much of this it will stop that!

For straight hair - I section my hair off into about 8 sections and spray each section about twice. I have a LOT of hair though. If your hair is fine, and curly be careful how much you use. I then let it air dry for about an hour. Once I get the hairdryer out it's sooooo much easier to straighten. I'm not battling with the curls as much as i usually am. It's really brilliant. Then I use my flat iron (babyliss pro nano titanium with LED temperature settings up to 450F). I use the 430 setting I think. This part is a pain because again you have to make sure you get every single strand. I go over each 2" section about 4 times. I concentrate even more precision on the curliest part of my hair - crown and up.

Once you do this you'll have model/salon straight hair. It's unbelievable. It lasted me 5 washes but I found when I used too much product I *wanted* to wash it sooner because it felt big and poofy but every time I looked in the mirror it was still perfectly straight. After fighting with humidity for so many years it feels very weird to be sitting in a hot restuarant feeling your hair puff out and get bigger and drizzier and you reach for your elastic and go to the bathroom and your hair is perfect!

When I want to have wavy, bouncy curls that are even and easy I just use the spray and don't bother with the flat iron.

Wearing my hair both ways has changed the way I do my hair completely. I wish he would come out with a product that lasts even longer! Bottom line, know your hair, don't use too much and have fun.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2014 9:05:00 AM More reviews by brooklynbee

I can't believe this stuff actually works but it DOES! I have a LOT of thick, wavy, long hair that frizzes easily. I got a sample of this and tried it. It really does make your hair a LOT less frizzy and straighter. I used the product and blow-dried my hair - I didn't use a flat iron because I don't like my hair stick straight. On day 2 - 3 I touched it up with a clipless curling iron. I will definitely purchase when my sample runs out. And John Frieda products are really affordable, so that's another bonus.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2014 9:39:00 AM More reviews by karriwhel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This stuff rocks it for me! I received this as a sample spray pump sized product that lasted me about a month. By the time I was done with the sample I was hunting this stuff down at the stores right away. I don't think I will ever go without again so please never ever discontinue!! PULLEEAAZZZE (this always happens to me!) So I have quite thick hair that is getting to be "old" a bit too processed so it tends to be frizzy and dull at times. Boy howdy this stuff perks my color & tames those cuticles right up! Now that being said I am not great at flat ironing my hair every time I use to complete this process of sealing the product as I do not always have the time for that, but I still find that if I only blow dry & skip the flat iron part it still makes my hair look better than before! Flat ironing does make it fantastic looking so go the extra mile with it & you won't be disappointed! Win Win.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2014 5:34:00 PM More reviews by Niki726

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I don't have curly hair, but I do have poofy wavy hair that I have to straighten every single day. This stuff stays on my hair about 2 days because I'm a very oily person all over. The second day I don't have to do anything to my hair. I don't even have to touch it up with a flat iron. Great product, I just wish my hair wasn't so greasy :(

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2013 8:13:00 PM More reviews by sophiaclaarke

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

best straightener protection spray for us curly hair babies :))! before I found this I was using chi iron guard and tresemme sprays I hated how they made that sizzle sound and left my hair dull after straightening it UGH but when I used this I was instantly in love. it really does keep hair straight for the longest time! for example, I wash my hair once a week (I'm lucky enough to have hair that doesn't get oily fast) and it keeps it smooth &frizz free the whole week! I also live in a very humid state so it really helps fight humidity. I noticed the keratin really makes my hair so strong and shiny..Love it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2013 8:40:00 AM More reviews by judy46970

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have medium length, wavy hair that usually will not stay straightened after using my flat iron. I have tried many straightening products to no avail. I had a $3 off coupon on the 3-Day Straight, and I love John Frieda products. The label says to start with 8-15 sprays on wet/damp hair, then blow-dry straight, use flat iron.
I love this stuff! It makes my thin hair look fuller, shiny, and I tested it and it keeps my hair perfectly straight for three days! I will for sure be buying this product again!

rated 2 of 5 on 9/5/2013 3:19:00 PM More reviews by lxurenoliver

I bought this item based on the fact my hair is thick and curly, and back when I wore my hair down and straight, the curls and flicks would really bother me. My friend said she saw an advert on it and said I may as well get it, so I did. From what I remember, I saw little difference but back then any difference regarding straightness was a miracle for me so I thought it was the best product ever to be seen.
Now, I have decided to straighten small parts of my hair again, but not all, I turned back to this product, remembering my high expectations from it. I also decided to check out a review and I was then intrigued to write my own one, so here it is:
I only had a small bit left in the bottle as I had given my mum my old one and she uses it a fair bit. I washed my hair, sprayed in my heat protectant and further conditioning spray, and then spritzing about 6 sprays throughout my hair with the 3 day straight product. My hair is about mid boob length, but thick so I didn't want to do too little or too much. I dried my hair, straightened it, but as I wasn't going outside I didn't get to see the major changes it could have made to my hair. The next day (today) I wore my hair in a side pony tail and straightened the tail, and my hair felt disgusting (I have GHD's).
Throughout the day, yes, my hair has been straight apart from the bottom part which flicked inwards but I can't get over how sticky my hair has been. Every time I touched it, strands of hair would glue itself to my palm and stick there. The feeling of it in general really hasn't felt too nice, and I can't get over how sticky it's made my hair. I wash my hair every 2 - 3 days because it doesn't get or feel greasy easily and dries out if I wash it too often, and now I'm washing it the day after purely because I can not stand even day 1 of the product.
As any item does, it has pro's and con's, but buying this really determines on how STRONGLY you want your hair to be straight. Back when I wore it straight, I turned to literally everything BUT chemically straightening. But now I'm not as desperate, I've realised just how much of a rip off this product is. Yes, it does a mediocre/good job and if you don't mind flat, sticky hair that makes it feel greasy then this product may be for you, but at (I think) £6.99 a bottle for something that probably does more bad then good, I wouldn't recommend it. It does smell nice, though.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/22/2013 4:51:00 PM More reviews by louis3

It does it's thing I guess... But the smell is not that fancy at all. I don't see much difference with the times I just straightened my (dark)golden locks. My hair ain't that thick&voluptuous and is almost as straight as a stiff board, so maybe that is the problem with this honey... better said: maybe I should not have used this stuff, because it's not meant for people like me ;)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2013 2:02:00 AM More reviews by nattiekins05

So I got this product a little over a week ago... and because of the mixed feelings and reviews- I decided to buy a sample bottle that only has 1oz of liquid. I believe it was a tad less than $5.00 at walgreens where I bought it. I have used this product twice already, and I believe I have formed a solid oppinion to share with everybody in this review. I have very long hair, that isnt ridiculously curly, but its VERY wavy, usually unmanageable and gets very frizzy when it drys (and it doesnt matter if I let it dry naturally, or with a blow dryer, it still gets out of control.) I used 10 sprays of this product the firat time around, because I read reviews saying it made their hair feel weighed down and greasy. I blow dried my hair with a paddle brush, and was really disappointed. My hair was still out of control frizzy, it felt like I had conditioner in my hair that didnt get rinsed out, because it was very heavy and even though i stayed clear if my roots while spraying- it looked like i hadn't washed my hair in a week. So I finished the look by flat ironing my hair, going over each strand over and over with my chi. I still hated it. My hair smelled good, and that was it. Yes, I did get straight hair- but I know that this product had no role in the straight sleek look. I decided to leave it for a couple days without washing or getting it wet, because I really was looming for any hope with this product. It has been almost 100° in Minneapolis for the last week, with a dew point and humidity levels through the roof. This product claims that humidity will not affect the look, period. This is false. My hair would get random waves and little curls in the front, and I had to constantly go over it with my iron. Nowhere does it say that you will need to flat iron your hair periodically throughout the day, to achieve the sleek straight look. It was just a huge disappointment. After a day and a half, I HAD TO wash my hair. It was bothering me so much... When I would get hott from being outside, I would start to perspirate on my face, and it seemed like the oils from my hair would be running down my face when I was sweating. It was disgusting! I tried it a second time, and my feelings have remained the same. I am very happy I got the small, trial size bottle, and not the full size- because it would be going straight into the gaRbage, or given away, although I would never give it to anyone i care about... it was that bad. So, thank you John Frieda for making my hair smell good, but thats the only good thing this product has to offer. Absolutley a let-down. Had high hopes after reading some really good reviews of this product... but at this point, I would rather flat iron my hair every single day than go near that product again. Harsh, but true.