Paula's Choice RESIST Daily Smoothing Treatment 5% AHA

4.2

Not tested on animals

Water, Glycolic Acid (AHA exfoliant), Cetyl Alcohol (thickener), Butylene Glycol (slip agent and penetration enhancer), Palmitoyl Oligopeptide (cell-communicating ingredient), Ceramide 2 (skin-identical ingredient), Tetrahydrodiferuloylmethane, Tetrahydrodemethoxydiferuloylmethane, Tetrahydrobisdemethoxydiferuoylmethane (anti-irritants/antioxidants derived from curcumin), Epigallocatechin Gallate, Caffeic Acid (antioxidants), Salicylic Acid (BHA exfoliant/anti-irritant), Disodium Lauriminodipropionate Tocopheryl Phosphates (vitamin E-based antioxidant), PEG-10 Rapeseed Sterol (fatty acid thickener), Cucumis Melo (Melon) Fruit Extract (antioxidant), Bisabolol, Allantoin (anti-irritants), Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclohexasiloxane, Dimethiconol (silicone slip agents/texture enhancers), Tribehenin (texture enhancer), Polysorbate 20 (emulsifier), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, PPG-14 Butyl Ether, PEG-40 Stearate, Sorbitan Stearate (thickeners), PVM/MA Decadiene Crosspolymer, Polyacrylamide (film-forming agents), Disodium EDTA (stabilizer), C13-14 Isoparaffin (solvent), Laureth-7 (emulsifier), Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster), Caprylyl Glycol (preservative), Ethylhexylglycerin (skin-conditioning agent), Hexylene Glycol (solvent), Phenoxyethanol (preservative).

on 6/29/2015 4:58:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

Another Paula's Choice product I wanted to like, another product that did not agree with my skin at all. Like the serum, I initially liked this. I'd been wanting to add an exfoliant to my skincare routine, and I liked how clearly PC explains why and how this product was formulated. The price was right.

Like the serum, it makes me breakout. After my skin cleared up after the eruptions caused by the PC product, I tried this on part of my face. I broke out again. I also tried it on my neck-- thinking I could save the more expensive exfoliant I eventually bought-- but I started getting zits there, too. Ewwwwww.

I'm binning this.

on 6/16/2015 5:57:00 AM

I was so excited to try this product after reading some great reviews. I've used the Peter Thomas Roth 10% aha cream for a few years and while generally happy with it wanted some more oomph. Well I got that plus a whole lot more. I should preface this by saying I do not have more than the occasional very small pimple once or twice a year. After first night my skin didn't really look different. I had decided to use this at night only as I'm happy with my day routine. Second night and I woke up the next morning with two zits. By the end of the week I had about 10 welts all over my cheeks, dry spots, oily and smaller pimples on my chin. I kept applying for one more week until I finally realized this is not a phase I'm actually developing cystic acne. So I backed off. About 2 weeks later I though I'd give it another go. This time only 1-2 times a week. Seems to have settled down. Skin is smooth and soft, but small imperfection, whiteheads and scars from the previous bout persist. I'll use this until the product is finished but I will not repurchase. I have actually never in 35 years had a reaction like this to a product.

on 6/13/2015 1:44:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Love this product, I've been using it for years now, and whenever I go off it for some reason I notice a difference in my skin (for the worse). I have very fair, sensitive skin that reacts poorly to lots of things, but seems to be just fine with this product (I use it with a PC gentle cleanser and a serum, both also work well for me). This is a HG for me.

on 5/1/2015 10:51:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

I was not expecting to like this as much as I do. I was thinking it was going to be like the old PC AHA gel but this is like that one's grown up sister. It has ceramides, BHA and other great ingredients to go along with the AHA and is a creamy emulsion not a gel. I have been using it every night and my skin looks brighter and more even. I do have some flaking around my chin but no breakouts and my rosacea has not flared. (So important). I also bought the weekly version to see what my results will be from that.

on 4/27/2015 6:25:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've been using Paula's Choice products for about 2 months and have seen a very significant difference in my skin. The major difference is the way my skin glows and the way makeup enhances that instead of covering and/or making me look worse because of the bad texture of my skin. I have extremely dry AND dehydrated skin. This exfoliates my skin effectively, removing all the flaking and dullness. My skin has taken on a glow since I started using this and the RESIST Weekly Resurfacing Treatment. You get a lot product, the packaging is effective and the price is reasonable.

on 4/18/2015 2:19:00 PM

I have mixed feelings about the 5% AHA in her line. There are days this feels great and some days it feels drying. I apply this every other night and usually wake up with smooth skin. There was a time I was using this every night and that is when I noticed the drying. Haven't decided whether to repurchase. I've been using Glytone's glycolic face wash off and on for a few years and might try their glycolic moisturizer. Glytone's Anti Aging night cream ( 5.5 glycolic acid ) contains shea butter and is the third ingredient. Only drawback is Glytone's hefty price. Paula's is certainly a more affordable product line.

Perfect AHA exfoliant. My mother and I use this a couple of times a week and overnight we have smooth baby soft skin, skin feels firm and redness around the nose is calmed completely. Skin looks new and clean. I just love it, alternate with the 10% AHA and we both get even more fantastic results. A really great product and the packaging is nice, with a simple pump to give you just the right amount. Apply to face, neck, back of neck! very important, decolletage and even backs of arms and hands! Does wonders lightening dark spots on those areas! What more could you ask from a product?

on 2/8/2015 2:44:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This product changed my life. No joke.
Since I was on my early twenties I got diagnosed with adult acne, cystic acne that would leave scars. My dermatologist would give me vitamin A prescription pills that would dry my entire face, and it would make it better but it always came back after a few months.

Now, I use this product 2x a day, together with the 10% weekly resurface and the retinol serum. I have never had better skin. The scars are much less noticeable, I only get a few pimples every month, and I rarely use foundation.

I'm not saying it's gonna work for you, but for me, after years and years of trying moisturizers, treatments, not daring to leave the house without foundation, this skincare routine really changed it.

The downsides of this product are the smell and the pump (I had to return it once because it wasn't working). Also, I wouldn't use it if you have a sunburn or after you bleached your mustache.

on 10/10/2014 4:09:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

When I first started using Paula's Choice products, I bought the 8% AHA Gel but I found it pilled really badly so I ended up returning it and getting this instead. I'm really happy with this product. Since switching to Paula's Choice products I've been able to downgrade from full coverage foundation to tinted moisturizer because my hyper pigmentation has cleared up so much! I am a *very* happy customer!

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

This was one of the first Paula's Choice products I tried and it made an immediate difference in the clarity, texture, and feel of my of my skin. It also goes on well underneath sunscreen and makeup. Just based on performance, I'd give this product 5 stars. So why only 4 stars? The packaging makes it impossible to tell how much product is left (even when I do my usual trick of holding the bottle up to a light bulb). I completely understand and respect the reasoning behind the opaque packaging, but after using this product every morning for 4+ months, it's annoying not to know if I'm about to hit the bottom of the bottle. My other issue is the cost ($30 for 1.7 oz). I'm not tremendously concerned (yet) about aging, so all those $$$ anti-aging ingredients are probably lost on me; barring a major sale, I'll most likely switch to PC's 8% AHA when I finish up this bottle.

Popular Treatments (Face)