September 22, 2014 | 1554 users online

Deodorants - Arm and Hammer - Essentials Natural Deodorant

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/20/2012 12:19:00 AM More reviews by ilovethe80s87

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is a true deodorant... NOT an anti-perspirant. I have sensitive armpits that often break out in an itchy, lumpy red rash if I use any type of antiperspirant/deodorant that they don't get along with (I have yet to figure out the ingredient that makes them itch). I ran out of my Secret Clinical Strength for sensitive skin, and decided to be brave and try some of my sister's deodorant (Arm and Hammer). It smells nice, it glides on easily (though it takes a few minutes to dry), and it kept me from stinking all day; best of all, I didn't develop a rash a few days later! It didn't keep me from sweating, though. I told her about it and she said, "Well duh, read the label... DEODORANT, not ANTIPERSPIRANT." So yeah. Works great if you just get stinky and son't sweat.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/19/2012 10:56:00 PM More reviews by lulu94

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Best aluminum-free deodorant I've ever tried. It is also the cheapest, at a mere $1.98?! I can't believe I didn't try this sooner. It's not exactly glamorous packaging, and the "fresh" scent is very masculine (it stays with you all day too, so you better just get used to it.).. I guess that's why I tried the toms of maine/kiss my face/lavanila routes first. But this beats all of them out in terms of odor protection. No matter how active I am throughout my day, this keeps me smelling fresh and clean, albeit a bit manly. But i'd rather smell like a clean man than a girl that reeks of B.O. so to me this is still a winner!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2012 5:55:00 PM More reviews by mmherman

The triclosan is what makes this a winner...or a loser. Triclosan is an antibacterial agent so it essentially kills the bacteria that cause underarm stink. I bought this and a similar one by Dove (for men). I use the Dove men's deodorant though because I am not fond of the smell of this. The men's deodorant is a pretty unisex smell. I think I am just not a fan of citrus scents, but it isn't terrible.

I've been using plain deodorants for almost a year. This will not stop you from sweating, but it will stop you from smelling like a wild beast most of the month. I have noticed personally I tend to stink really badly around that special time of the month. It just be pheromones or something, whatever it is only the deodorants with triclosan have helped minimize the stink.

I won't lie, I do worry about the triclosan because it is over used in all sorts of products and leads to bacterial resistance. Unfortunately so far it is the only stuff that has worked for me and until I find something comparable I will probably stick to these formulas. The only real natural deodorant I have used that worked was homemade coconut oil, tea tree oil and baking soda, but the baking soda burned my skin after prolonged use. I have also tried one by Lavanila that was okay, but not wonderful. Still it has more natural so perhaps I will give that a try next.

So I give this a thumbs up for a non-anti-antiperspirant deodorant, but a thumbs down for the triclosan (even though that is what makes it wonderful). It is too bad that triclosan is so nasty because it really does cut down the stink.

Also, a note for the sweaty people and natural deodorants, in my own personal experience I have noticed after I "detoxed" from regular deodorants I find I sweat less. It was gross at first, but you do get used to it and then you stop noticing it. You will have to reapply deodorant, but I had to do that even when I used full-force Degree.

Good luck! I'm always interested to hear if anyone has found a wonderful natural deodorant that is non-irritating and minimizes smell. :)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2012 5:23:00 PM More reviews by PinkIcing1

This does nothing. I still sweated and stank just as much as I do without it.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/11/2012 5:03:00 PM More reviews by DieMyDarling

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

So sad to find out this has triclosan and the dangers of it...right after I just bought and used a new stick. How did I not know the dangers?! I used this while I was pregnant to avoid aluminum in my baby's body, now I find out it can cause birth defects? Yikes.
I gave it a 2 bc it really does work amazingly well, I prefer it to aluminum based deodorants. Add a little cornstarch baby powder for extra sweat absorption on days you need it--perfection.
*sigh* I guess I'll finish this off (since I'm on such a tight budget I can't afford to replace it, and baby powder solo makes me worry it's not quite enough)...if anyone has any suggestions on aluminum free deo that works (toms of Maine is awful for me), please holla!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2012 10:23:00 PM More reviews by dawnfire90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is great for an aluminum/paraben free deodorant! The only thing its missing is more scents.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2012 2:58:00 PM More reviews by allymack

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is my boyfriend's favourite deodorant, but we recently discovered that it contains triclosan, which is a known endocrine disrupter. A lot of governments are looking into banning it. Please check it out if you're deciding whether to buy or re-buy, and decide if it's worth the risk! I wanted to buy this for myself, but I'm not going to as long as it has this ingredient.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2011 1:41:00 AM More reviews by Metamorpha

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is the best deodorant I have ever used AND it's paraben and aluminum free! I have no odor for the whole day when I use this and I haven't noticed any issues with sweating, although I don't tend to sweat a lot. I've tried the usual deodorants as well as various natural alternatives and nothing works like this stuff. It also doesn't get white stuff on my clothes. It's $2-$3 at Hannafords and well worth it, although sometimes I have to hunt around for a store that sells it. I also found that it works even better if you dab a bit of baking soda on top which is great for odor protection when doing physical activity.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2011 9:22:00 AM More reviews by snoopy68

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is, hand down, the best natural, non-aluminum based deodorant that I have ever purchased anywhere. I've been using non-aluminum based deodorants for 10 years and this is the only deodorant that prevents me from having stinky armpits, even on a very hot, humid day. It's dirt cheap - it get it on sale for $1.99 at the grocery store and stock up. Other natural, non-aluminum based deodorants either simply do not work or I break out in rash under my armpit. Especially from the mineral deodorants.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2011 8:42:00 PM More reviews by Kastehelmi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

The unscented version is the best natural deodorant I've used: it smells great (clean citrus), dries quickly, and you can use it without becoming immune to its effects. You just can't compare antiperspirant products to paraben-free metal-free deodorants. Antiperspirants do the trick for people who don't sweat a lot, but they clog your pores and compromise your health--and when they finally stop working the bo smell is much worse. I sweat a lot, so I carry it in my purse in the summer and reapply as needed. If you layer baking soda over it you have your own safe and natural antiperspirant-deodorant.