Jane Iredale Pure Pressed Base

Not tested on animals

CTIVE INGREDIENTS: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891) 14%, Zinc Oxide (CI 77947) 3% INACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Mica (CI 77019), Boron Nitride, Dimethicone, Hydrated Silica, Stearic Acid, Plankton Extract, Algae Extract, Pinus Strobus (Pine) Bark Extract, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract. [ /- Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Carmine (CI 75470)]

on 8/18/2015 8:24:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I was really excited to try this brand because it is Leaping Bunny certified. I do like the texture, and how it doesn't emphasize fine lines. However, after several hours, I get the same heavy feel I get from Bare Minerals, which doesn't make this my favorite product for summer. My skin is combination to oily, and this just isn't the right thing for my skin type. Also, getting the right color match in this was almost impossible.

The manager of the store where I bought this was very understanding through a few exchanges. But there was an employee who liked to make lots of pronouncements that were balderdash and pretend that stuff she'd read in brochures were scientific facts instead of marketing. This made the process of color-matching much more painful than it should have been.

My advice is this:

If your skin is combination to oily, please be careful about selecting a shade in this foundation and be willing to put up with the uncomfortable return process as I did, because this foundation is $40 for the cake and $12 for the compact, and for $52, the brand should be able to offer you a good color match. All the base colors I tried did shift. In my case, this didn't work out.

If I were slightly darker-complected, Warm Silk would have been perfect, but because the powder turns darker after it's been on my face for half an hour or so, it didn't look right, in spite of the fact that it looked perfect in the store. Radiant is initially a nice color that looks sort of peachy, and then it turns orange on the skin after about 45 minutes. "Light Beige" is very pink and was a complete disaster. It looked ruddy as if I had a sunburn and was obviously the wrong color. Ivory looks pink in the pan, and did shift pinker. So the only color that might have worked was the lightest yellow shade, Bisque, but it shifts even more yellow after it sits on the skin. All the colors become more intense as they are worn. So if they look slightly "off," they look more "off" as the day wears on.

What I really wanted was a lighter version of Warm Silk. By the third return, I was really getting sour on this foundation, which is too bad, because I think the texture is nice.

One of the salespeople loved to spew hype. This was a turn-off. The advertising claims for cosmetics that are supposedly all-organic or all-natural aren't exactly true because most of them have to contain a few chemical ingredients. The chemicals they have are not toxic or harmful, but there have to be some ingredients there for texture, to preserve the product, and you might have noticed that they're all encased in plastic containers, which don't exactly grow on trees. So the product isn't all-organic and I don't need it to be.

I was there purely to avoid animal testing. One of the salespeople tried to tell me that mineral foundations don't oxidize - she meant they don't change color on your skin - but that is obviously not true because every color I tried DID shift. I had to exchange this product several times, because half an hour after you put it on, it looks different. All the pink ones turn more pink. The yellow ones tend to darken and look more yellow, etc. This line is really crying out for some neutrals. They should have a variety of beige, neutral beige, including some pale beiges, because what they have is skewed heavily "cool" or "warm" and even the "neutrals" look either pink or yellow. The color they call "beige" is really pink. I have primers that correct for color and texture, but when I have to use products from other brands to make something work, the product I am trying to fix is at fault. I have foundations at home that are cheaper with colors that stay truer.

When this product was developed in the 90s, some people were afraid of talc, and some of the mineral brands including Jane Iredale were avoiding talc on purpose. Since then, nobody's really proven that talc is bad, and technically, talc is a mineral, so having it in "mineral foundation" seems okay.

I finally realized there was no perfect match for me in this line, unless I get slightly tan, in which case Warm Silk would work. That one really looked the best but I was slightly too pale. But since I'm trying to protect my skin from skin cancer, I'd rather that Jane Iredale give us some more neutral colors to work with that don't turn pink or orange or yellow, instead of damaging my skin to make it dark enough for the one good color in the line, if that's not too much to ask.

I did find a really great neutral in the Jane Iredale Disappear concealer. "Light" is what I wanted the Ivory foundation to look like, but it doesn't. I might at some point go back and get the $30 concealer. But I think I've lost my faith in the powder foundation.

INGREDIENTS OF PURE PRESSED BASE:

Active: Titanium Dioxide (14%), Zinc Oxide (3%) Other: Mica, Boron Nitride, Dimethicone, Stearic Acid, Plankton Extract, Algae Extract, Pine Bark Extract, Pomegranate Extract. May Contain: Iron Oxides, Ultramarines, Chromium Oxide Greens

Tried this out after a long search for a new foundation for my more "mature" skin. The issues I was having was fine lines under my eyes and pores that looked HUGE with my old friend , Everyday minerals and any liquid foundation I've tried. It's pretty easy to some up:

Pros: Great powder with build-able coverage. Very fine milled so does not crease in those lines and pores. I use Golden Glow shade and love it. It really "lightens/softens" my face and has taken away that older haggard look. I've had lots of compliments since switching from all my old friends when they did not know I made the switch. No breakouts either.

Cons: SO pricey. Compact case is crazy pricey for what you get. Did I say how pricey this powder is? I would say that you will need to do touch ups since it's a powder but it's not anything major. Sometimes if I don't do a touch up my under eye concealor starts to look more noticeable since the powder is fading.

I've tried a few times to find something more price friendly but ALWAYS come back to this. For me it's worth it. It's really a great foundation!

on 6/29/2015 3:49:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

This is so expensive at $52, but it's absolutely the best pressed powder I've ever used. I'm not rich by any means; I am a hair stylist and part of my job is looking put together for an entire shift. I am extremely picky about face products such as foundations and powders. I expect them to provide a natural semi-matte finish, excellent coverage for acne scars and rosacea, and longevity for long work hours with the blowdryer in my face. That being said, this is the best of the best.

I have extremely oily and acne prone skin, and Jane Iredale's products do not irritate or break me out. The powder lasts me about 1 year with consistent use. I use it to mattify my t-zone, provide extra coverage along my jawline where I break out, and to tie together all of the concealers and foundations I've used.

The reason why I recommend this stuff so highly is because it surpasses all of my expectations of a powder foundation. This is the most natural looking powder I've ever put on my face and I don't feel it on my face. The coverage is light-medium buildable and I often build it up by stippling it on my acne scars. With other powders, they would often emphasize dry patches and make acne appear even worse. Pure pressed base has never done that; I can confidently build it up as much as I want on cystic acne and it doesn't look cakey. The shade Bisque is also a perfect match to my pale nc15 skin.

If I find something cheaper and as effective I'll update this for sure, but for right now this powder is what makes my make up look cohesive, mattified, and flawless without sacrificing a natural finish. HG of pressed powders.

on 6/10/2015 3:43:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is the best powder I've used to date (and I've used a LOT of them). I initially bought a starter kit on a splurge after a beauty store saleswoman did a quick in-store makeover. The kit was awesome (though a little on the spendy side), but it did come with about a month's worth of the pressed powder, loose powder, a mini foundation brush, primer, and setting spray. Everything was great, but above all I'm now addicted to and use the Smooth Affair primer and pressed powder every day. It actually make me feel like I have different (better & more even) skin, but still MY skin, which has always been my goal. I have come to hate all liquid foundations, and even BB creams can be too rich especially in the hot summer, so the pressed powder is exactly on point. Weird to think of a pressed powder as creamy, but somehow that is how it feels and looks. Not drying and not heavy or oily, just perfect. I also have to mention the brush is pretty legit. I still use the trial size one from the kit but I covet the bigger one. I've tried applying with other brushes (the Bare Minerals Kabuki and various EcoTools), but the Jane one is very noticeably better. It is flat across the top and distributes the pressed powder really evenly.

There's no product that works for everyone, but if you have mostly clear skin and want to even out tone, hide imperfections, and basically look flawless while staying natural, it's the best. I'm finally really happy with my makeup routine (after a lot of trial and error), so I'm sharing my current recipe: after your moisturizer dries (I like Paula's Best Moisture Boost), apply Smooth Affair primer and let set for about a minute. Use a little bit of creamy concealer (I like Marc Jacobs) under eyes or wherever needed and blend well. Apply the pressed powder using downward brush stokes then buff a little with the brush so it blends into skin. You can spray on the hydrating mist or not (I haven't noticed much different with or without). Use a little bronzing powder on cheekbones or for contouring, blush if that's your thing. And voila.

(Oh one last thing. A recent weekend visit with my sister inevitably led to us rummaging through each other's makeup bags. She had kept asking me what makeup I was wearing, and asking about everything I've been using. I did her makeup using all the stuff I mentioned above and she couldn't get over how much she loved it, and bought the powder later that week.)

on 6/6/2015 7:03:00 PM

This stuff blew me away. I never believe a powder could be a foundation but man they have come a long whey since bare minerals started out years ago. It is a bit tricky learning how to use it. At first it caked under my eyes and accentuated my fine lines which was horrible, but then I found out if I used one of those beauty blender sponges and just dabbed it super lightly under my eyes without swiping or rubbing, it turned out great. I use the DuWop The One brush to apply the rest of it all over my face and if I need a tiny bit more coverage for under eye circles I pat it on with a concealer brush. I can't believe this stuff works and actually stays on throughout the day, and it's healthy and non-toxic. Perfect!

on 6/4/2015 3:33:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

No, this one didn't work for me at all. It looked nice and even right after application (good match for my skin tone), but made me really oily. That's a deal breaker!

on 5/14/2015 11:25:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This is a great compact foundation to carry around. The compact is very sturdy and the powder doesn't crumble. I have KP on my arms and this is great to use if I need to even out the redness - just swipe it on with the puff and you're done. Pressed powder foundations tend not to have options for light, cool based skintones but the Light Beige shade suits me fine. It's not light enough to have a brightening effect, but it doesn't look really off either. I will definitely repurchase when this runs out. The powder seems to last for a long time, too, simply because it doesn't crumble away with use and waste product (and ruin your make-up bag...).

on 3/21/2015 7:11:00 PM

I bought a sample starter kit for 50$ from the web site. It came with the Pressed Base, Loose minerals, Pomist spray, and smooth affair primer. On me its a medium coverage foundation, It didn't make me itch like Bare Minerals did. After I put everything on it looked pretty at first but after 2 hours of sitting around the house my skin was super oily and shiny. I kept using it for 3 days after and still the same. I'm going to try to use it with a different primer because it may be why my skin is getting so oily. After about the 3rd day of using the products I broke out. Not super bad but I had tender papules on my skin. As of right now I wouldn't repurchase again until I can play with the products and see whats causing the oiliness.

on 2/18/2015 2:31:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I tried a sample before plunging in on the full size. I actually went on ebay and got three shades and the pressed and loose. Ebay is not going to be as fresh as from the Jane website. It was love at first. I have to say right off that if the other reviewer is "hitting pan" trying to make something work and ending up"looking cakey every time"; You are obviously not applying the product correctly. You could have bought an old old old item also. Sometimes I think we should all make a disclaimer when we buy on sale items and then rip them on this web site. Coverage is buildable. It lasts. Your face will feel soft. I am 42 and it does not look cakey. Do under you eyes last, after concealer very gently just to set. You can put this in your bag and go from crappy day to fabulous in about 6o seconds. I use this on top of the bb3 (I am fair.) in winter, and on top of the liquid minerals in summer. I love loose and pressed. One for home one for travel. I am usually the lightest shade and in winter I like Ivory for parts of my face and Light Beige everywhere. I am going into spring and I like Natural. I am celtic/britton and have some pink in my skin but am also neutral. I will use satin during the hottest of summer. The loose provides a bit more uplighting. Both powders work well over a plain oil for your moisture/prime if you do that. I do.

on 2/7/2015 9:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I have mixed feelings about this foundation. I've actually gone through several refills, so there's something about it that keeps bringing me back. I like the built-in sunscreen. It doesn't break me out. It's not too matte, and the coverage level is good--not too little and not too much. It's easy to apply on days when I don't feel like futzing with a liquid foundation. My main issue with it is that finding the right shade is super confusing. On the one hand it's pretty forgiving color-wise even if you don't have an exact match, so I've used up all the pans I've owned. On the other hand, it's frustrating and confusing to find your perfect color. I was initially matched in person to Golden Glow, but I sometimes felt like it read too warm/yellow on my skin. I've tried Warm Sienna and Radiant as well, but neither felt like a perfect match for my skin. Based on the charts I've seen online, and the Jane Iredale color matching tool, it seems like either Satin or Suntan are more neutral shades. Suntan in particular seems like it should be about the same darkness as Golden Glow, so I'm going to try that out. Hopefully I can find my perfect shade, because otherwise this would be my favorite powder foundation. This could be a four or five-lip product if I could just figure out the color problem!