October 23, 2014 | 1337 users online

Foundations - Lucy Minerals Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2014 2:03:00 PM More reviews by Mina_LaFleur

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I decided to hold off on reviewing this foundation until after I had put it through the most extreme test I could muster: a week and a half trip to Florida. I was impressed before the trip, having worn this as my go-to foundation. But now Im truly amazed. I had this on in the high humidty, melting sun, and rain for several 16 hour days and it held up beautifully without making my skin a wreck. I imagine I had to touch up a lot less than I would have with any other foundation (I bought the OCC formula). The coverage is great, the texture is silky, and a little goes a long way. Im so glad to have found a new holy grail foundation. My skin actually looks better after I take it off than before I applied it!

I took a chance a bought the full size in "fair", the lightest shade without getting a sample first. It seemed a lot darker than my Fyrinnae "quartz" foundation in the jar, but it blends beautifully on my pale skin and doesn't make me look chalky. After being dissatisfied with my samples from Everyday Minerals, this foundation rocked my socks!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2014 6:18:00 AM More reviews by Reya

I was very skeptic when I first purchased this powdery foundation. What really got me hooked was the creamy texture and good buildable coverage it provides. I think its important to moisturize and let it sink in before using, otherwise it wont stick to the skin so well. I found out using flat top brush makes heavier coverage instantly, so if you dont want that buy some other type of brush. ORIGINAL formula is really creamy and this one I like the best it doesnt get shiny, just a bit glowing and Im a fan of a quite matte finish (I didnt need powder). Feeling of this foundation is light like youre not wearing anything at all.OCM was too chalky for me, it dried my skin and sinked into pores too much. Later I ordered OCS with big hopes but the color Creamy Olive looks totally different in OCS than it does in original! With silica its orangey toned and I need yelow. I will have to mix them. The only negative for me might be the services, they are very nice and everything but once they sent me wrong formula and recently unclosed foundation which got messed around everywhere inside. I know shit happens, Im human, too so despite those little flaws Id give Lucy Minerals 100% any time. For me its Ultimate Healthy mineral foundation easy to apply and beautiful to wear. :-)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/4/2014 3:03:00 PM More reviews by anglerfish

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My skin is very pale, combination and acne prone. I have been using Mac Longwear for about 2 years but thought I'd try something a bit better for my skin. I read up on various mineral foundations and bought tester pots of Lucy Minerals foundation and pinishing powder with the baby kabuki brush.
I was concerned the coverage wouldn't be good enough for blemishes and broken veins - not so. Apply with kabuki and dot some more (straight from the brush, don't tap and swirl) onto an area that needs more coverage, it's all good.
I was concerned the colour wouldn't be pale enough - I bought cream, light, pale olive and snow white. Pale olive is pretty much perfect, even though it looks darkest of the three in the pot, it's very light on the skin, and if by some wizerdry you are paler than me, you could mix with a little snow white.
I was concerned it would sink into my oily pores - i wear the bare minerals primer underneath and it looks flawless.

So I've just gone ahead and bought the full size pale olive and finishing powder in oil control with silica formula. Came to write a review because when something is good folks oughtta know.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2014 10:27:00 PM More reviews by wishingoceans

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got two samples, pale olive and cream in lucy light. I wore cream yesterday, pale today. My skin is very dry, very acne-prone, very sensitive, and I have rosacea so it takes a lot to achieve that flawless perfect-skin look.

Well. THIS IS FANTASTIC. Possibly my HG. Truly, the only con is that the bottles are quite messy and for whatever reason when I'm buffing it on, it creates this cloud of mineral makeup that can get on your clothes. I would recommend putting this on, THEN getting dressed.

But it is soo worth it. It's beautiful, I can do an easy light-coverage face in two minutes tops or I can take a couple more minutes and work it up to a full, flawless coverage that looks warm and beautiful (goes super well with Clinique's precious posy blush), I would say it's a natural finish. Best part is, it matches my skin tone PERFECTLY, don't even have to blend into my neck at all, and it looks INVISIBLE. Seriously, I keep staring at my full-coverage face and being just amazed that it looks just like natural skin. It is so fabulous and so worth trying out. For those of you with dry skin, I would recommend moisturizing/exfoliating beforehand, I didn't and I still looks great but I think it would be even better with better skin.

Also: I literally took a shower wearing this. Water squirting directly into my face. Came out, makeup was still perfectly intact. Got sauce on my face, took a wet napkin and wiped it off. MAKEUP STAYED PERFECT. SO WONDERFUL.

Edit: Just got my full version. It arrived amazingly quickly in adorable wrapping paper with a thank you card that had my name and a smiley face hand drawn onto it! SO CUTE, I am absolutely in love with this company!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/21/2014 1:36:00 PM More reviews by Makeupmama73

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was a long time Alima Pure foundation user, but cost wise, it had gotten a bit steep for me to continue using their foundation. I then switched over to Elegant minerals for my foundation, as it's more affordable. But their shipping time is so very slow. Which is why I was in the market for a mineral make up foundation that was inexpensive, had low cost shipping and was quick to ship. I was led to try Lucy minerals after a web search led me to reading so many favorable reviews here at Makeup Alley.
I'm 40 and I'd say I have normal skin, I use coconut oil as a facial moisturizer. I don't have a lot to cover but I enjoy the even skin tone that a mineral foundation gives me.
My daughter is 12 and she also tried this Lucy mineral foundation along with me. (My line of thinking after reading so many reviews was perhaps this would be better on younger combination skin). Neither of us have sensitive skin.

My review is for the original formula.

Pros: Great customer service, great prices, good color selection, fast shipping, low cost and if spending more than $10 (free shipping). I was able to find a good color match as was my daughter, from the samples we had received.

Cons: The first thing I noticed before attempting to use this on my face, was when I rubbed this foundation between my thumb and index finger, it didn't glide or melt in with the heat created, and was not buttery smooth, as the other brands I used. I had been told that quality minerals will be smooth and buttery when doing this "test" so it's just something I have always done when trying a new mineral make up. This make up unlike the others I've used was very chalky and dry when I did this "test". It felt very sandy and brittle on my fingers, and also during application it felt extremely rough on my skin.

I had a hard time blending it in. And I believe because of the more sandy texture, trying to blend it caused me some skin irritation. I stopped trying to blend waiting a bit hoping that as it heated up on my skin, it would be easier to blend. But unfortunately that was not the case.
This felt really heavy and uncomfortable on my skin. It stung a bit after the blending and I was looking forward to returning home to remove it. (They do make a light formula, which is free of the additions they add), but I believe my reaction was because of the consistency and rough texture of the product and trying to apply it, that caused the discomfort. I did have a sample of the light. But didn't apply it to my face. When I felt the Light make up formula in my fingers, the sandy consistency was the same as the original formula.
The following few days, I had some dryness and a tight feeling in some areas of my face after having worn the make up for just a few hours during the one day.

My daughter tried the same process of blending it on her face. And she was not able to make it glide smoothly over her skin either. She said it felt "scratchy" as she applied it and also had a hard time blending it because of the dryness of the minerals. After she removed the minerals she was left with some tenderness, redness, and dryness which has lasted for a few days as well.

Because it was bothering me that this was my experience (after so many great reviews)
we sat and compared the texture of the Lucy mineral make up formula to Alima Pure and Elegant minerals that we had on hand. And both she and my younger daughter felt a huge difference when doing the index finger thumb test I spoke of above. We also went on and compared blending all three brands on our arms just to compare the formulas, and again, really felt a huge difference, with the Lucy minerals not being easy or comfortable to blend in.

I am disappointed that this was our experience. However I'm glad that the samples were so affordable and that we were able to give it a try without breaking the bank. It's definitely cost effective enough for everyone to give it a try and see how it works on their own skin.

I've had to reorder from Elegant minerals, who do make a great foundation, and am hopeful that their shipping time won't be as long as past experiences.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2014 11:20:00 AM More reviews by lovechop

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Even though I've used makeupalley for years I signed up today to tell the world about this foundation!
I have the most sensitive skin of anyone I know. Everything irritates my skin and breaks it out. Finding full-coverage foundation has almost been impossible. I used Revlon Colorstay for years but when they changed the formulation my skin broke out badly. Since then I've used all kinds of foundations for weeks or months at a time and always had to discontinue because they break me out.
I finally ordered Lucy Minerals in the Light formulation and after some trial and error samples I custom ordered 2/3 pale olive and 1/3 Light to make a more neutral base.
Pale olive is very yellow and Light is VERY pink so together they make a pale natural shade. After a learning curve of several weeks I was able to find the right way to apply it to make it last the longest. I do have to do a touchup with a small brush midday. It's just a fact and I've accepted it because MY SKIN IS THE PRETTIEST IT'S BEEN SINCE I WAS A LITTLE GIRL. I have no blackheads at all and no spots, no bumps, no blemishes. It's like I have new skin.
I apply first around my nose, mouth, undereyes, and above my eyebrows with a dense eyeshadow brush. Those are the areas where I have some redness. (Just normal pigmentation.) I really work it in and press kind of hard to act as concealer. Then I buff in small amount on my whole face with a flattop big brush and finish with a little bit of finishing powder. I keep that same style dense eyeshadow brush in my purse in a little thing with a sample size and usually only have to take the brush with nothing on it and buff around my nose and smile lines to even out those areas. They get a little less full-coverage looking by midday otherwise.
For me, that's a tiny chore for the reward of having healthy happy skin!
If you're not sure, order a few sample sizes, and look at swatch images using google (that's a much better way to get a sense of the shades) and give yourself time to learn to apply it. I'm a major makeup girly girl and this one had a learning curve even for me.
I'm so happy to have balanced skin and so happy to learn that it wanted to be clear all along, I just had to give it a chance.
Good luck!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/3/2014 4:03:00 PM More reviews by Babsfree

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

*UPDATE: While I really do like this foundation I don't love it anymore. It's just not oily skin friendly imo. If you are oily this will probably not work for you. I suggest samples and using them for a good amount of time before committing to the full size foundation.
I still use this but not on its own. I apply this over my Revlon ColorStay foundation and it performs very well over it and it doesn't look cakey at all when applied over liquid foundation. After my liquid foundation has dried I apply very little of Lucy Minerals foundation over my foundation and it gives me a beautiful, airbrushed matte finish. I find that the ColorStay on its own does not provide the coverage I desire but with LM I get the coverage my skin needs. After I apply my LM I finish my foundation with Wet 'n Wild CoverAll powder, this combo of products keeps my oiliness at bay and provides very good matte coverage.
I'm disappointed that this did not work for my oily skin. I tried everything I could but the oiliness would break up the foundation and cause it to pool up in places. The area this foundation pools up the most is in between my eyebrows (the unibrow area lol, no I don't have a unibrow lol). This foundation is full coverage but after about an hour it fades and breaks up because of my oily skin and I'm left with shininess. You'd think powder foundation would be oily skin friendly but this is not the case with this foundation. I still love this foundation and will continue to buy it but there's noway I can use it on its own. I also foundation mixing the shades Light and Pale Olive makes my perfect skin tone*
This review has been a longtime coming but I was waiting just to see if I had any problems with it. I really love this foundation. It provides full coverage and it actually COVERS my blemishes! I can wear 2 different shades: Pale olive and light. So imo, the colors are forgiving. Pale olive helps tone down the redness I have from breakouts. I prefer pale olive over the shade light. I might try mixing the two to see if I can get a different shade cause I think light makes me look a little washed out even though it's an almost perfect match for me.
I've had samples for over 2 months now and I still haven't ran out of product! I ordered samples in all of the formulas and I prefer the OCC formula over the OCS formula. imo, the OCS (silica formula) is more of a medium coverage than full versus the other formulas I have, I just feel it doesn't provide enough coverage versus the other formulas. I don't like the OCS formula at all but just because it doesn't work for me in the way I desire, it doesn't mean it won't work for someone else, so keep that in mind. All the shades are the same in all of the formulas so you won't have to worry about finding a shade you like only to find out it's different in another formula. Samples are very generous-BUT-When I received a sample of the shade fair, there was just a tiny little bit in the sample jar and it was not full to the top like the other samples I got. It had maybe enough product for two applications at the most. But luckily fair was too pale for me and it has a pink tone to it too (perfect for someone who is very fair with cool undertones imo). Also, the sample jars don't have a sifter top on them, so that was a huge surprise when I went to open the sample jar and was unprepared for no sifter top, so I ended up spilling some product because of the lack of a sifter top in the jar. NBD though.
I have had a little bit of a problem with getting a little bit of breakthrough shine throughout the day and I did email Annie, the owner and she made some suggestions. Wen you email her she's very quick to respond so that's a plus too. I've been using silk powder primer instead of a regular liquid primer to prime my skin before applying LM and that seems to help with the shine and getting oily throughout the day. Maybe it just took some time for my skin to get used to a new product cause I'm not having any shine problems anymore. Also, make sure you moisturize and let it sink into your skin well before applying this foundation, that will make application better and easier and will help your foundation to look proper too. I can't stress enough to exfoliate also if you use a mineral foundation. I take about a teaspoon of baking soda and use that to exfoliate and it also cuts down on shine and oiliness during the day.
This foundation is creamy and is definitely full coverage and the colors are forgiving.
I got so tired of EDM changing their formulas and now they eliminated some of their shades so I knew I had to find a new mineral foundation soon and this has been the one I reach for the most now even though I have one jar left of my EDM foundation (they eliminated my shade). BM didn't work for me, it's not full coverage and it made my skin itch like crazy and I think they also changed their colors cause fair used to be more neutral and now it seems like it's more suited for cool skin tones (read: pink).
Lucy Minerals doesn't oxidize on my skin (but neither did BM), which is something I've had problems with from the many samples I've gotten from Idie companies (Meow has oxidized on my skin now since I've tried giving their samples a try again and again, many times. I officially gave up on Meow). I'm not sure if I will call this my HG but for now it is but I'm not looking for a new mineral foundation either and will continue to use this everyday. I do wish they had more of a selection of shades though (especially for darker skinned ladies), that's only thing I can think of that needs to be improved on, oh and sifter tops on their samples would be nice too.
I will definitely repurchase once all of my samples are gone but that won't be anytime soon cause I've barely put a dent in my samples cause all you need is a small amount to achieve full coverage and also the samples are filled to the top and they are very generous with the amount of product you get in your s

rated 2 of 5 on 5/29/2014 1:02:00 AM More reviews by mimochi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really hate to give such a low review, because I wanted to like this foundation. It matched my skin tone perfectly. My color is Pale Olive and I had tried out both formulas for oily skin, neither of which worked for me. I bought this because it is free of bismuth oxychloride, an ingredient in other mineral foundations that was breaking me out.

I think people with normal skin will really like this foundation. I was disappointed that my oil had soaked through the foundation within an hour. Even though I have yellowish olive undertones, there are parts of my face that are quite red. So as this foundation was streaking off, it actually emphasized my redness more. :(

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2014 5:59:00 AM More reviews by Ideas1416

If you had a dry skin, from a practical point, I would refrain from using powders as they are moistue deficient and would suck the moiusture from your skin...

rated 5 of 5 on 4/30/2014 10:33:00 PM More reviews by ELISAKAY

Excellent makeup with great coverrage. I have tried Bare Minerals, glo Minerals, Lily Lo Lo, Jane Iredale, Mineral Hygienics, Bobby Brown, Lancome, and Tarte Minerals. Also, Amazing cosmetics and IT cosmetics! The Lucy Minerals are much cheaper and wear better. I have normal to dry skin and wear a primer--makeup lasts over 12 hours with a flawless finish!

Packaging is fair, but as long as the product is so good I am fine with that!