January 30, 2015 | 2147 users online

Foundations - Lucy Minerals Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 1/22/2015 6:38:00 PM More reviews by jessierose27

To begin, I am a crazy perfectionist and I examine every inch of my skin when trying a new product. Also my skin has been sensitive this winter. More than usual.
Original Formula: I was irritated by it my skin was so red when I took it off and itchy. :(
Oil Control Formulas: Cakey and dry, ahhhhh so bad :(
Lucy Light: We may have a winner. Definitely a learning curve with this makeup, however I feel like this formula is gentle and light. It was not drying. I will update as I continue to wear it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/20/2014 10:05:00 PM More reviews by daisyismydog

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This review is for the "Original Formula," and for reference I have dehydrated-normal acne-prone skin that flakes a lot. I have a medium skin tone (NC30-35), and I tried samples of both Golden Medium and Medium which a friend graciously passed onto me. They didn't quite match my olive skin tone (Lucy Minerals does offer some olive colors though) but the depth was right for anyone trying to color match.

The Lucy Minerals original formula feels slightly damp, as if I'm applying a regular loose powder foundation with a damp brush (which I do sometimes). It feels more creamy than other powder foundations I've tried, including pressed ones, but the trade off is that it applies less smoothly and needs to be buffed in a little more.

The coverage is easily medium with a thin layer which could easily be layered, and it's hard to sheer out to light coverage which is what I would prefer. I find the finish is nearly matte. It doesn't dry out my skin or emphasize flakes (except those that are emphasized because of the necessary buffing) but I find the effect is rather flat since it doesn't the slight luminosity of skin.

Overall, I can definitely see someone with normal skin who prefers a more matte finish and higher coverage than me enjoying this foundation, but unfortunately it's not for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/15/2014 12:15:00 AM More reviews by aprilg9

This was the second mineral makeup I have tried, the first being a drugstore brand that I didn't like because it would melt off my face in a few hours. I have found the lucy minerals foundation to be very easy to apply, very creamy, and fairly long-lasting. I still have to blot my face, but there probably isn't any foundation that with cure that. I have to be sure to moisturize my face well, or else the foundation with emphasize the dryness, but that's to be expected with powder foundation. I really like the finish and coverage of it, it's very natural looking so long as you apply it correctly. I might have to get a better brush for it, but for now I'm using an elf flat top dense brush which gives much better coverage than the fluffy brush I tried a few times. Another thing I love about this product is that it lasts and extremely long time. I ordered a sample first, which comes in a tiny jar but it lasted me over 3 weeks. I actually still have a little left. The website for lucy minerals is very easy to use, and they many colors to choose from. The shipping is really fast also, which surprised me. Overall, I love this

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2014 8:02:00 AM More reviews by Grey3

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Lucy Minerals Foundation in Soft Beige. Covers my red cheeks and broken veins!

I have tried many mineral foundations from low to high end, and found them to be drying or tacky and heavy feeling. I decided to try Lucy Minerals as they do a fantastic "try me" size pot for about 2 ($2.50). I got a couple of shades and found soft beige suits my colouring best. (I am medium skin toned, green eyes and blond)
It works well when I have my fake tan on but also when that has faded after a couple of days. This colour gives a warm soft very natural finish to my skin, and looks fabulous with a bit of bronzer added when I want to look more tanned. (check out W7 Gel Bronzer for a light natural tanned glow, and a very very cheap Chanel dupe!)

I thought the powder seemed very dry to touch at first, but actualy this worked out extremely well. A little really does go a long way, and it's very buildable. Once it is applied it doesn't feel dry or cakey or sticky like so many high end ones do!

I have been trying to find a mineral foundation that can help cover red cheeks with broken veins, and this really really works well with a yellow NYX concealer under it. No other mineral foundations have been able to cover this so I am very happy.

I finish with a rose & glycerin water spray and it lasts all day long, and looks perfect.

I highly recommend giving the tester pots a go and there is currently a %20 discount code for orders over $20 (Code is: lucy20) Happy Shopping :)

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2014 2:03:00 PM More reviews by Mina_LaFleur

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I decided to hold off on reviewing this foundation until after I had put it through the most extreme test I could muster: a week and a half trip to Florida. I was impressed before the trip, having worn this as my go-to foundation. But now Im truly amazed. I had this on in the high humidty, melting sun, and rain for several 16 hour days and it held up beautifully without making my skin a wreck. I imagine I had to touch up a lot less than I would have with any other foundation (I bought the OCC formula). The coverage is great, the texture is silky, and a little goes a long way. Im so glad to have found a new holy grail foundation. My skin actually looks better after I take it off than before I applied it!

I took a chance a bought the full size in "fair", the lightest shade without getting a sample first. It seemed a lot darker than my Fyrinnae "quartz" foundation in the jar, but it blends beautifully on my pale skin and doesn't make me look chalky. After being dissatisfied with my samples from Everyday Minerals, this foundation rocked my socks!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2014 6:18:00 AM More reviews by Reya

I was very skeptic when I first purchased this powdery foundation. What really got me hooked was the creamy texture and good buildable coverage it provides. I think its important to moisturize and let it sink in before using, otherwise it wont stick to the skin so well. I found out using flat top brush makes heavier coverage instantly, so if you dont want that buy some other type of brush. ORIGINAL formula is really creamy and this one I like the best it doesnt get shiny, just a bit glowing and Im a fan of a quite matte finish (I didnt need powder). Feeling of this foundation is light like youre not wearing anything at all.OCM was too chalky for me, it dried my skin and sinked into pores too much. Later I ordered OCS with big hopes but the color Creamy Olive looks totally different in OCS than it does in original! With silica its orangey toned and I need yelow. I will have to mix them. The only negative for me might be the services, they are very nice and everything but once they sent me wrong formula and recently unclosed foundation which got messed around everywhere inside. I know shit happens, Im human, too so despite those little flaws Id give Lucy Minerals 100% any time. For me its Ultimate Healthy mineral foundation easy to apply and beautiful to wear. :-)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/4/2014 3:03:00 PM More reviews by anglerfish

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My skin is very pale, combination and acne prone. I have been using Mac Longwear for about 2 years but thought I'd try something a bit better for my skin. I read up on various mineral foundations and bought tester pots of Lucy Minerals foundation and pinishing powder with the baby kabuki brush.
I was concerned the coverage wouldn't be good enough for blemishes and broken veins - not so. Apply with kabuki and dot some more (straight from the brush, don't tap and swirl) onto an area that needs more coverage, it's all good.
I was concerned the colour wouldn't be pale enough - I bought cream, light, pale olive and snow white. Pale olive is pretty much perfect, even though it looks darkest of the three in the pot, it's very light on the skin, and if by some wizerdry you are paler than me, you could mix with a little snow white.
I was concerned it would sink into my oily pores - i wear the bare minerals primer underneath and it looks flawless.

So I've just gone ahead and bought the full size pale olive and finishing powder in oil control with silica formula. Came to write a review because when something is good folks oughtta know.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2014 10:27:00 PM More reviews by wishingoceans

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got two samples, pale olive and cream in lucy light. I wore cream yesterday, pale today. My skin is very dry, very acne-prone, very sensitive, and I have rosacea so it takes a lot to achieve that flawless perfect-skin look.

Well. THIS IS FANTASTIC. Possibly my HG. Truly, the only con is that the bottles are quite messy and for whatever reason when I'm buffing it on, it creates this cloud of mineral makeup that can get on your clothes. I would recommend putting this on, THEN getting dressed.

But it is soo worth it. It's beautiful, I can do an easy light-coverage face in two minutes tops or I can take a couple more minutes and work it up to a full, flawless coverage that looks warm and beautiful (goes super well with Clinique's precious posy blush), I would say it's a natural finish. Best part is, it matches my skin tone PERFECTLY, don't even have to blend into my neck at all, and it looks INVISIBLE. Seriously, I keep staring at my full-coverage face and being just amazed that it looks just like natural skin. It is so fabulous and so worth trying out. For those of you with dry skin, I would recommend moisturizing/exfoliating beforehand, I didn't and I still looks great but I think it would be even better with better skin.

Also: I literally took a shower wearing this. Water squirting directly into my face. Came out, makeup was still perfectly intact. Got sauce on my face, took a wet napkin and wiped it off. MAKEUP STAYED PERFECT. SO WONDERFUL.

Edit: Just got my full version. It arrived amazingly quickly in adorable wrapping paper with a thank you card that had my name and a smiley face hand drawn onto it! SO CUTE, I am absolutely in love with this company!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/21/2014 1:36:00 PM More reviews by Makeupmama73

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was a long time Alima Pure foundation user, but cost wise, it had gotten a bit steep for me to continue using their foundation. I then switched over to Elegant minerals for my foundation, as it's more affordable. But their shipping time is so very slow. Which is why I was in the market for a mineral make up foundation that was inexpensive, had low cost shipping and was quick to ship. I was led to try Lucy minerals after a web search led me to reading so many favorable reviews here at Makeup Alley.
I'm 40 and I'd say I have normal skin, I use coconut oil as a facial moisturizer. I don't have a lot to cover but I enjoy the even skin tone that a mineral foundation gives me.
My daughter is 12 and she also tried this Lucy mineral foundation along with me. (My line of thinking after reading so many reviews was perhaps this would be better on younger combination skin). Neither of us have sensitive skin.

My review is for the original formula.

Pros: Great customer service, great prices, good color selection, fast shipping, low cost and if spending more than $10 (free shipping). I was able to find a good color match as was my daughter, from the samples we had received.

Cons: The first thing I noticed before attempting to use this on my face, was when I rubbed this foundation between my thumb and index finger, it didn't glide or melt in with the heat created, and was not buttery smooth, as the other brands I used. I had been told that quality minerals will be smooth and buttery when doing this "test" so it's just something I have always done when trying a new mineral make up. This make up unlike the others I've used was very chalky and dry when I did this "test". It felt very sandy and brittle on my fingers, and also during application it felt extremely rough on my skin.

I had a hard time blending it in. And I believe because of the more sandy texture, trying to blend it caused me some skin irritation. I stopped trying to blend waiting a bit hoping that as it heated up on my skin, it would be easier to blend. But unfortunately that was not the case.
This felt really heavy and uncomfortable on my skin. It stung a bit after the blending and I was looking forward to returning home to remove it. (They do make a light formula, which is free of the additions they add), but I believe my reaction was because of the consistency and rough texture of the product and trying to apply it, that caused the discomfort. I did have a sample of the light. But didn't apply it to my face. When I felt the Light make up formula in my fingers, the sandy consistency was the same as the original formula.
The following few days, I had some dryness and a tight feeling in some areas of my face after having worn the make up for just a few hours during the one day.

My daughter tried the same process of blending it on her face. And she was not able to make it glide smoothly over her skin either. She said it felt "scratchy" as she applied it and also had a hard time blending it because of the dryness of the minerals. After she removed the minerals she was left with some tenderness, redness, and dryness which has lasted for a few days as well.

Because it was bothering me that this was my experience (after so many great reviews)
we sat and compared the texture of the Lucy mineral make up formula to Alima Pure and Elegant minerals that we had on hand. And both she and my younger daughter felt a huge difference when doing the index finger thumb test I spoke of above. We also went on and compared blending all three brands on our arms just to compare the formulas, and again, really felt a huge difference, with the Lucy minerals not being easy or comfortable to blend in.

I am disappointed that this was our experience. However I'm glad that the samples were so affordable and that we were able to give it a try without breaking the bank. It's definitely cost effective enough for everyone to give it a try and see how it works on their own skin.

I've had to reorder from Elegant minerals, who do make a great foundation, and am hopeful that their shipping time won't be as long as past experiences.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2014 11:20:00 AM More reviews by lovechop

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Even though I've used makeupalley for years I signed up today to tell the world about this foundation!
I have the most sensitive skin of anyone I know. Everything irritates my skin and breaks it out. Finding full-coverage foundation has almost been impossible. I used Revlon Colorstay for years but when they changed the formulation my skin broke out badly. Since then I've used all kinds of foundations for weeks or months at a time and always had to discontinue because they break me out.
I finally ordered Lucy Minerals in the Light formulation and after some trial and error samples I custom ordered 2/3 pale olive and 1/3 Light to make a more neutral base.
Pale olive is very yellow and Light is VERY pink so together they make a pale natural shade. After a learning curve of several weeks I was able to find the right way to apply it to make it last the longest. I do have to do a touchup with a small brush midday. It's just a fact and I've accepted it because MY SKIN IS THE PRETTIEST IT'S BEEN SINCE I WAS A LITTLE GIRL. I have no blackheads at all and no spots, no bumps, no blemishes. It's like I have new skin.
I apply first around my nose, mouth, undereyes, and above my eyebrows with a dense eyeshadow brush. Those are the areas where I have some redness. (Just normal pigmentation.) I really work it in and press kind of hard to act as concealer. Then I buff in small amount on my whole face with a flattop big brush and finish with a little bit of finishing powder. I keep that same style dense eyeshadow brush in my purse in a little thing with a sample size and usually only have to take the brush with nothing on it and buff around my nose and smile lines to even out those areas. They get a little less full-coverage looking by midday otherwise.
For me, that's a tiny chore for the reward of having healthy happy skin!
If you're not sure, order a few sample sizes, and look at swatch images using google (that's a much better way to get a sense of the shades) and give yourself time to learn to apply it. I'm a major makeup girly girl and this one had a learning curve even for me.
I'm so happy to have balanced skin and so happy to learn that it wanted to be clear all along, I just had to give it a chance.
Good luck!