October 21, 2014 | 1874 users online

Palettes - Smashbox - Wish for the Perfect Palette

rated 4 of 5 on 3/25/2011 3:53:00 AM More reviews by PerfectPursuit

I have recently started experimenting with make-up so I thought that a palette would be the way to go. I got the 2010 wish for the perfect pallete.

If I had a choice, I would have just got the eyeshadows and the brow powders. I will never use the lip colours as there is no point because I cannot take such a large clunky thing along with me for reapplication.

The gel liners quickly dried out. For the price, I think that the quality of eyeshadow colours is great. The eyeshadows do not come out excessively like other cheap eyeshadows do.

I probably would not buy this again and wish that I bought the stila colour wheel instead, but it was a good value and perfect for a make-up beginner that wanted to try out a bunch of different products. I would never have discovered brow powders if it weren't for this pallete

rated 1 of 5 on 2/27/2011 2:30:00 PM More reviews by jess55

i am so disappointed with this product.it caught my eye because it looks fantastic,everything is in it.looks can be decieving because this hands down is the worst eyeshadow i have ever used bar none.it is such a pity because the color range looks great they look like such wearable colors.the quality of the shadow is terrible,so weak and doesnt show up at all.it wasnt cheap so im quite angry that i got duped with this.please dont waste your money on this

rated 2 of 5 on 2/13/2011 8:54:00 PM More reviews by mdotyorke

I bought this pallette this past holiday (wish for the perfect palette 2010) and it was horrible! The only thing that was good were the creme eye liners! I am extremely disappointed in Smashbox for this waste. The eyeshadows lacked pigment. The brushes sucked. Ugh! Never again. The only reason I bought this palette was because ULTA was out of Urban Decay's Book of Shadows. SMH!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/15/2011 12:49:00 PM More reviews by norgrav

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I concur with the other reviewers. Small size eyeshadows. Varied degree of pigment. I rate the liners higher than the eyeshadows. The lippys are not outstanding. The packing is not sturdy but may be a modern eco alternative which we will see more often. The brushes are a major disappointment - like a childs painting toy. This palatte is a user not a keeper - but perhaps that is better in the end.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/18/2010 9:54:00 AM More reviews by Dundrumlady

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Packaging is not great, after a flight three eyeshadows had broken and the powder went everywhere. Eye shadows don't seem to be greatly pigmented as most don't last very long. Other than that its very good value for the amount thats in it and the little brushes are great to bring out in a small bag. Would buy again but certainly there is nothing in here i would re buy as a full size

*Update* The eyeshadows are extremely powdery which results in a lot of mess when using them as the leftover powder mixes into other colours and even into the lip glosses. The cardboard got knackered after a few trips, i don't think its built to be moved. Overall i now think the products in this palette are crap, very little quality or lasting power.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2010 1:58:00 PM More reviews by ShelliM

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've searched for many years for a "complete" palette that compactly includes as close to everything as possible, so that when traveling, I'm not carrying a zillion little containers that take me forever to coordinate and pack. Having received Smashbox's Holiday 2009 "Wish For The Perfect Palette" as a Christmas gift from my stepkids last year, I can say that I have indeed found my HG travel solution! The only things the palette doesn't include are foundation, concealer, powder, mascara, and (useful) brushes, although there actually is enough room in the brush bins for a couple extra travel-sized brushes and a thin mascara. You'll also need lipstick if you want more coverage than a gloss.
The palette includes the expected plethora of eyeshadow colors, and although there are a few funky (and IMO unwearable) standouts (yellow, pink, orange), it excels in its HUGE selection of browns and golds (in pearls, shimmers, and mattes), and a gorgeous group of greens. (A few blues and purples are also included, but the palette lacks very many grays.) If you're already familiar with Smashbox's eyeshadows, the application and finish will be familiar to you, but if you're not, please be aware that they tend to a) provide somewhat sheer (but buildable) color, and b) they are light on binder ingredients, so you will definitely need to wear a primer to get good cling. Low-binder eyeshadow also means that it kind of makes a mess when you take a brush to it, so make SURE you have the trays slid closed over the cream items (liner, lip gloss) on the lower level, or you'll get eyeshadow in them!
There are only two blush colors, which seems disproportionally low compared to the 64 eyeshadows, but there is also a bronzer and a "complexion brightener", both of which can be included in the general blush category. The included highlighter is a very light, neutral-colored shimmer.
The lip glosses are emollient and varied, although I would have wished for some cream lipsticks with heavier coverage to be included as well.
The surprise bonus features here are the full complement of Brow Tech Powders and Brow Tech Wax, and eight beeeeauuuutiful Cream Liner colors! I love Smashbox's Cream Liners, but be aware that they can be kind of smeary. It's best to set them with eyeshadow.
The packaging is cheap (it's the same exact palette used by 57 other brands, including E.L.F. and many Chinese knock-offs), but it's functional enough.
I should also say that I believe this palette best suits those with fair through medium complexions, and it favors the warm family.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/9/2010 5:14:00 PM More reviews by girleygirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Price paid: $60 @ Ulta

I actually like Smashbox products b/c of their fun colors, so I bought this palette. This palette is actually kind of like a 'Smashbox-sample-palette' cause it contains samples of their full-sized products...I call it "samples" b/c of how little everything is. The eyeshadows that comes with this palette are very small (dime sized)...I feel like they are gonna run out fast! Anyways, the colors aren't very pigmented without a primer, which sucks. Also, the eyeshadow shades are very typical-- most of the colors are regular/usual colors, nothing bright. However, I do like how this palette contains a variety of gel liners and lipsticks.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/5/2010 9:45:00 PM More reviews by diorshowgirl

This palette is such a great value. So much better than the sephora blockbusters. There are a ton of eyeshadows, some more pigmented than others, lip glosses, cream eyeliners, brow tech wax, brow tech powder, blushes, bronzer, and a highlighter. Love it.

Pros- I think I payed around $60 for this, which is an amazing value! I love the cream eyeliners, most of the eye shadows, and the brow tech wax and powder is great. The blush also complements my pale skin. The bronzer is nice as well. Very subtle.

Cons- The brushes are terrible. The lip glosses are mediocre, and some of the eyeshadows aren't pigmented enough.

Overall, it's a great value for smashbox products. I personally like the packaging, and I use this palette everyday.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/2/2010 4:38:00 PM More reviews by lupita1981

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This palette has many eyeshadow colors which is a pro if you would like to sample colors.. when i mean sample the sizes are very small but have lasted me a while.

I HATE the quality of the eyeshadows. the pigment are very poor and the colors are not that great at all. They do not look high quality at all but more like a cheap $ store. even with an eye primer the colors still appear dull and chalky. i ahve never tried smashbox eyeshadow but after this palette I will never buy. Not to mention the brushes were useless and horrible! My avon eye and lip brush blew smashboxes out of he water!

The blushes were just ok.... BUT the bronze blush gives a dirty look. It is an awkard color!

The only thing that saved this palette were the lip glosses, highlighter, brow kit, and brightner. i have never tried a brow kit or highlighter and i as pleased. The brow kit made a nice manicured look for my brows and the highligher made my blush pop along with the brightner although for my tan skin it could have been a lil bit of a different color.

The glosses were really nice. Nice shades and it lasted a few hours i would say at least 5-6 so i was pleased with that.

i give the palette as a whole 2.5 stars becasue for the money half the palette was garbage becasue of the horrible quality of the shadows and brushes

rated 3 of 5 on 12/7/2009 2:18:00 PM More reviews by HeatherLouWho

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Pros: (1) A good variety of e/s colors. This is palette has a lot of brown toned neutrals and purple colors but also some pinks, yellows, oranges, greens, and blues. The one color family it seems to be weak on is gray. There are mattes and frosts, and a few will sizeable glitter. (2) Itís all in there. The only other things that you will need are brushes (the ones included with the set are useless), mascara, foundation, and maybe a lipstick if you are not a gloss person. It has eyeshadow, lipgloss, bronzer, blush, highlighter, lipgloss, cream liner, and brow shadow. 3) The colors are versatile.

Cons: (1) The quality of the shadows is only so-so. They are soft, so they produce a fair amount of fall out. They are not as pigmented as they could be. They are not as good as my favorite shadows, which are MAC, NARS, and Urban Decay. I would place them on par with a lot of NYX shadows. (2) The packaging does not seem very sturdy.

Price: $59 is nothing to sneeze at but this is a good value for the money. If you are looking at buying a big palette like this I would also look at the Tarte Treasure Chest and the Coastal Scents palettes to see if they would meet your needs. I would not pay more than that though. So buying this off eBay for above retail is your only means of getting this palette, SKIP IT.

Bottom Line: I am keeping this palette because it is good for what I want. For a long time I have been looking for something I can put in my overnight/travel bag and leave there. I wanted something where the quality and variety was such that I could put-together pretty much whatever kind of look I felt like. I wanted everything to be in one neat little package. I wanted something inexpensive/replaceable enough that no tears would be shed if it was lost, stolen, or broken. This palette does those things for me and if any of those things happen to it, I would re-buy next years version. I think that it would be good for someone like me who is looking for a travel palette, but I also think it would be a good buy for someone just getting into make-up who wants to experiment with a lot of different looks without investing a whole lot of money.