November 21, 2014 | 1044 users online

Other - The Body Shop - TBS - Whole Store

rated 4 of 5 on 11/1/2012 5:24:00 AM More reviews by faeze

im living in dubai and i usually go to deira city centre to visit body shop.i like body shop alot.,specially the seaweed and tea tree range.,i ehave really sensitive and acne prone skin i tried many brands but body shop is the best..
my only complaint is they don't give sample,even if you ask for the sample they say its finished or they dont hav it...if u buy smthng and if it doesn,t suit u they dont even easily exchange that and make faces...
this irritates me alot because i always buy everything from body shop and they are quite rude..
they should provide sample before buying anything because their products are quite expensive.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/20/2012 8:29:00 AM More reviews by greeneyesies

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

The last time I bought and liked products from The Body Shop was the 1980s. Back then there was an understanding that many customers wanted something different to the usual useless scented rubbish hawked elsewhere - they sold many reasonably-priced products that weren't packed with scents and irritants - I remember well the scent bar that allowed you to fragrance bass products as you wished, or not at all. I loved their Foaming Shower Gel (unscented), which was non-irritating and moisturing for dry skin, their Honey and Oatmeal Face Mask which you could see the honey in and was made from some good quality kaolin and was one of the few things that actually helped my at-the-time prone to eczema face. I also liked their cucumber water toner and their walnut oil deep hair conditioner. You could buy small packages of henna there, unadulterated with rubbish and filler. Everything I used worked incredibly well. By the late 90s, however, most of the stuff I loved had either disappeared or been reformulated into bog-standard cosmetic garbage, full of scents, filler and bore no resemblence to the original in appearance, texture or efficacy. The products that previously worked for my skin and hair looked very different in the jar/tube, either did nothing for or irritated my skin badly and the hair stuff either failed to condition or just weighed down my hair and left it greasy in the same way cheap low-end shampoos full of 'cones do. On the few occasions I visit TBS these days (usually on a whim if I'm out and have time to spare) I inevitably leave emoty-handed. There's nothing that appeals - just endless crappy scented, overpackaged, curiously sparkly (ugh) ranges designed to appeal to the gift market (seriously, my local store has more shelf space devoted to packaged gift sets than anything else) and overpriced make-up that I wouldn't touch with a bargepole given I can get equal quality for a lower price elsewhere.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/19/2012 10:01:00 PM More reviews by obsessivebeauty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

As a current employee with The Body Shop I have a lot of mixed feelings about the reviews. Yes the products are expensive, but keep in mind that we source our main ingredients through community trade. This means that the people who we get our ingredients from are directly benefiting from the sales of our products. For example, the ever popular Shea Body Butter contains shea butter from Ghana from a women's coalition that allows the women to live independently and take care of themselves and their children.
As far as the quality goes, I honestly can't find any comparison. Before working here I shopped here for many years and although many items were discontinued, the alternatives are very similar and even better in most cases. I understand the disappoint in the foundation line, even our new line doesn't have a wide variety of shades. Please remember this company started as a body care company, not make up. We still have a ways to go before you can compare the quality to some of the other natural brands out there. Going back to general product quality, the tea tree skin care line has transformed my face! I love how gentle the products feel and how dramatic the results are. Way better than drug store brand where most of the ingredients are chemicals that half of us can't even pronounce.
To address the pushy sales people, welcome to retail! No, we do not make commission but we do have individual incentives which in most cases determines your progress in the company. I can only speak for my store when I say that we genuinely want to help you find something to suit your needs. Although our incentives will always be in the back of our heads, I have heard numerous sales occur where our employees actually save our customers money by introducing a better sale or even a less expensive product that will deliver the same results. I understand the need to just be left alone and browse for what you would like, but please believe me when I say some of us really do care how your day is going and would like to make sure you don't feel uncomfortable asking for help. Also remember that when it comes to body care its always better to test the product out before you commit to buying it, (especially with some of our prices :) ) so when we ask you if you would like a demo or sample, it's mainly because our products do work and in most cases the result is visible.
Ok, I'll hop off my soapbox now. Didn't mean to lecture or preach about The Body Shop :) I just hope a few of you read this and understand that all companies have their flaws or opportunities as we like to call them at TBS :) and as employees we hear you asking for those discontinued products back, we miss them too! I hope this opened a few eyes and didn't offend anyone else in the process.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2012 5:39:00 PM More reviews by ChristinaMarieT

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I adore The Body Shop. Their ingredients are more high quality than most (vegetarian friendly, community trade, natural). I find the products to be cheaper to purchase from in the UK than in the US, so I only get their stuff while I'm there. They have so many sales, making it a lot easier to get bundles of goodies. The "Love Your Body" card awards customers, and allows them to get 10% off purchases. The card also offers free gifts on your birthdays and free gifts when spending a certain amount. When it comes to customer service, that varies. TBS has stores in lots of different countries, in various locations within them. I find it ridiculous that some reviews base their ratings off the one or two stores they've been to that have had annoying employees; Annoying employees exist every where, in every store, so to base an entire company and an entire range of products on some workers that have been hired is just inane. The American dupe for this store is Bath and Body Works, and I find their items to be nothing in comparison.

I love their products. I love the Vitamin E range (my dry skin worships it), I love their yummy and realistic smelling shower gels and their hydrating body butters. I do like their cosmetics, despite not offering much color selection for deeper and darker skin tones--- which, in case you didn't know, is because the company is British, and about 95% of British people are white and pale (minus the small populations of Indians and Afro-Caribbean people). I can still find my shade in their make up and I'm not incredibly fair or pale, due to being Spanish and all.

Honestly, I don't understand the complaints from some of these reviews. I find The Body Shop to be wonderful.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2010 12:26:00 AM More reviews by loveforsocks

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I used to be a Body Shop whore; I bought almost all of my products here. Their prices are pretty typical for a little boutique, but most of their products are not very effective. Their lotions never provide my skin with any moisture. The glittery ones are *SUPER* glittery so I'm sure they can see you sparkling from space. Their scents are nice, but I like the ones from Bath and Body Works better. A lot of their makeup feels pretty cheap. The only thing I've had luck with is their blush, although I've been meaning to try the shimmer cubes because they look cute and seem to be getting decent reviews.
Their skin care products are hit or miss. The only thing I still use is the tea tree oil makeup removing wipes-those are awesome. The rest of the tea tree oil line dries out my skin and leaves it irritated, didn't help my acne at all. I also use their Matte it! as a lip primer-it softens and smooths lips, but it doesn't provide any moisture. I religiously buy the Arbor men's body wash because I love the way it makes my boyfriend smell.
As for customer service, I usually find that the associates are very nice, but sometimes I'll get one who tries to sell me the entire store.
They do, however, have a good return policy.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/30/2010 7:40:00 PM More reviews by JessieWW

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Not happy with this store. They don't seem to know their products and could only provide vague and irritating answers (at least at the store I visited--don't know about others).

Example: I saw a specific type of body lotion and asked if they had a similar ingredient product for the face. The salesperson handed me a completely different product. When I then said I might try the body lotion on my face, she very haughtily replied, "We cannot recommend body lotions for the face!" The tone was incredibly irritating. Then she recommended a tin of facial moisturizer--which had no ingredient list. I asked for the box to check the ingredients and she informed me that there was no box and she had no way of determining the ingredients--she instructed me to check their website when I returned home to find out! (Apparently, she couldn't look it up on a computer in the store either.)

How does this place stay in business?

rated 2 of 5 on 2/4/2010 4:32:00 PM More reviews by toobeige26

I was really interested to read comments from employees or ex-employees on here as i too work for TBS. Firstly i completely agree with the comments that TBS is not what it used to be. Products are now in ranges as opposed to individual products so that staff can sell in regimes and therefore sell more to a customer: Ethical? I think not. This means that fantastic products have been discontinued because they don't fit into routines. Instead they have been replaced by products which are additions to ranges that started out with one great product.

Yes i agree the staff are very pushy, which is down to ridiculous targets and pressure from senior management, its the way staff are trained. We are not paid on commission. I personally find their sales philosophy stressful and completely un-successful. I mean who wants to be harassed while looking for a body butter? Luckily for me I only work in the store part time while at university and will be leaving when i finish my degree.

On to the product quality and price points. One word: ridiculous. Even with my discount i still find the price to be high for the quality of the product. I am not a person who is cheap with beauty products and love brands like clinique, kiels, mac and nars as I believe the quality is worth the money. There are a few exceptions to the rule such as their shimmer cubes, hemp hand cream and honey shampoo and conditioner.

To sum TBS used to be an amazing store with fabulous, innovative, quality products and happy staff. It is now a company bend on making huge profit margins which has been totally detrimental to the store

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2009 12:13:00 AM More reviews by Ms_Stressa

This is for the Body Shop stores as a whole, and the store at the Minneapolis airport in particular. I used to love TBS, but over the years I've stopped shopping there as they always seem to discontinue the items I liked (the reason I stopped shopping at BBW), and because their sales people are so frigging obnoxious. Case in point: I had three hours to kill between flights at Minneapolis this weekend, and I didn't feel like reading a book so I peeped my head inside TBS to maybe get a lipstick or two. BAM! Five seconds inside the door, I've got a salesperson on me "hi, how are you? looking for anything in particular?" I said, "no, I'm just looking", and prayed she'd leave me alone. I'm a solitary shopper - I like time to compare products and make decisions by myself. But noooooo -- she had to come up and chatter away at me at least five more times (did they think I was a shoplifter or something?), and then her coworker came up and said "would you like a makeover? I've been a makeup artist for over 20 years!" 1.) I had on a full face of makeup and may have looked a little tired from traveling, but overall I had a polished look. 2.) I was also a makeup artist for many years, and frankly I wasn't very impressed with her work based on her face. Besides, I'd already said I was looking FIVE TIMES at this point. Would it be too much to leave me alone? After I was approached a sixth time (I happened to be near their mineral makeup display so the girl started in with "have you tried mineral makeup? ours is awesome, can I show you some" blah blah blah -- I wanted to punch someone in the face but instead I went up to the counter and bought the single lipstick I had selected. Had the harpies there left me alone I probably would have purchased several things, but I literally felt like I was chased out of the store. Adding insult to injury, I'm going to return the lipstick I bought as the color is too dark and reddish on me - not only did they lose a customer, they are losing the impulse buy I made because I didn't have time to make a smart choice and was too distracted swatting annoying salespeople away from me. Let this be a lesson: I know you are probably on commission, but if you annoy your customers, they won't stay and they won't come back. I will only go to TBS near my home to return this lipstick, then I'm running out the door!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2009 1:13:00 AM More reviews by stefie2104

I am true TBS fan. I am using all TBS products head to toes. Yes the prices increased alot, in fact not just TBS stuff increased price, likewise for many brands. IMO, they do have great promotions from time to time. In Singapore wise it is every 2 weeks, 2 huge discounts at May/Jun and dec/Jan, some warehouse sales, that is the best time to stock-up your stuff.

I am LYB star Loyal members which entitled me to 15% discounts on normal price items plus every $30 spent will entitled you to 1 stamp, every 3 stamps there are some cash rebates, which I think is a good deal for nuts like me. I am into my 2nd card, this shows how much I really love their products.

My personal fav are the seaweed range, the vit e range, TTO fade night lotion, the aloe range, the oat & honey mask, the vit c scrub, TTO mask, ginger shampoo, honey conditioner, nettle shampoo, the almond treatment hand cream, almond hand lotion, the vit e lip balm, the shower gels, the spa salt scrub, all in one base, and brushes and many more..... I will continue to support this wonderful company who support community trade, against animal testing, recycle effort etc. At least they are doing something.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2009 7:16:00 PM More reviews by Kabuk1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Buying myself something from TBS used to be a real treat, but now I just walk on by. Why? Because their prices are outrageous, the selections have been so narrowed down that it's a joke, and EVERYTHING I LIKE HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED. Seriously- They no longer carry even ONE product that I used to buy! WTF!!! Not even the Amorito perfume that I now have to buy on Evilbay. I refuse to give my business to a company that teases people like that. "Hey, lets come out with a bajillion awesome LIMITED EDITION products and royally PISS OFF our customers!" FAIL. Also- even if they don't get rid of everything I like, they change the damn formula so that it's a completely different product. Case in point- the Vanilla oil. Used to smell like vanilla, now its some flowery crap with just a *hint* of vanilla in the background. I repeat- WTF. I remember when they had more perfume oils than i could even count, and now there's like 8. Gah. And don't even get me started on the makeup. They used to have SUCH cool stuff, now I can find more interesting stuff at Wal-Mart.