October 20, 2014 | 1907 users online

Mascara - Chantecaille - Faux Cils Mascara

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2014 10:45:00 AM More reviews by joy2uandme

Update: This is very much like Shu's new version of their Mascara Basic so I will be returning this and saving some cash. They are positively identical except this one smells faintly of roses which I can live without.

I do like this mascara and do thinks it reminds me of Shu Basic. The brush is perfect: small enough to wield around my small eyes, builds volume and defines length on my fine thin but long lashes. I have not had problems with the longevity with this product and the black is a nice glossy color.

I do have to take off a lipstick for price. $45 is a lot of money on my teacher's salary so this tube better last. It is a big tube compared to the downsized Clinique versions of late.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/8/2014 11:12:00 AM More reviews by kukukt007

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Lovely mascara, adds heaps of volume, curls and lengthens. Makes lashes look thick and glossy. Great wand too for application. However one lippy off because for me the mascara transfers and smudges beneath my eyes, definitely not ideal!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2014 7:21:00 PM More reviews by thejacks

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

no immediate high drama with this product but can build with confidence. no clumping which is great along with a major plus of not ending up under the eyes many hours later. was told there is a growth product in this which may be true as mine do seem thicker. in any event lashes are in great shape. lippie off for the price. can recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2014 5:17:00 PM More reviews by spicavv

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is the best mascara I've ever used. It lengthens, separates and curls effectively. Clumps and smudges are minimal, so it's perfect for the natural look that I want to achieve. I've been using this mascara for the past six months (not daily though) and the formula hasn't thickened or changed in any other way. I also love the rosy scent! I've tried various high-end mascara brands (YSL, Givenchy, Chanel, etc.) and have yet to find a better substitute.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2014 7:52:00 AM More reviews by CharismaSL

This is a beautiful mascara that delivers what it promises. It has the deep dark black pigment which i love and doesn't budge, smudge, but lasts the whole day. I would definitely repurchase this even though it's pricey because it lengthens, curls, and adds volume to my thin asian lashes making it look full without clumping. A definite hit. One lippie off for being outrageously priced though ($60 Cdn before taxes).

rated 4 of 5 on 12/19/2013 7:25:00 PM More reviews by elegantbc

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have the shortest, most sparse lashes ever (thanks mom!) And I'm ALWAYS looking for great mascara to emphasize my lashes/eyes without the hassle of having to wear falsies. I did a little research and decided on this one. It was much more expensive than I'm used to (I thought paying $23 was being "high end"), but I took the chance and purchased this from Nordstrom so that if I hated it I could easily return with no hassles. First impression was that the packaging was very simple yet classy. Second impression was that I loved how the brush grasped each lash and was soft against my lids. Third, although at first it seems to give a very natural look, you can layer and layer and layer some more without clumping so you can make your lashes as dramatic as you'd like. You can even touch up your lashes later in the day for an evening event without having to start over and it still didn't clump. The color is a very deep black as opposed to having an ash tint. Last impression was that although it did find with making lashes look fuller, I didn't quite get the lengthening effect that I wanted. Overall, I really like it but I will have to later it with my Benefits "real" mascara to get the length desired without having to wear falsies.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2013 5:23:00 PM More reviews by Andee

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I am on my third or fourth tube of this mascara. When Shu discontinued their Basic mascara, I went into deep mourning and struggled through the wilderness, with Shu's awful replacement and Nars meh offering. Then based on good reviews here, I tried this one. I wasn't wowed at first, but after getting advice from a MUA'er, I tried Shiseido Mascara Base. These two products, along with the third Musketeer, my Shu lash curler together are a match made in heaven for me. Curl stays, no clumping, no smudging, reasonably long thickish looking lashes and the tube lasts a long time without getting gunky. Sort of worth what it costs. Wish the formula didn't have parabens, but how much is gonna be absorbed into my system from mascara?

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2013 10:26:00 PM More reviews by mmnorth

BEST MASCARA EVER. This makes my lashes look long, thick, glossy, black and natural. It's incredible. It doesn't need to be reapplied throughout the day and doesn't smudge or melt. I absolutely love it. It's about twice the price of other mascaras but it's worth it. You can really see and feel a difference, especially in photographs where each lash appears individually perfect.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2013 10:36:00 PM More reviews by nlarace

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I guess mascara is just one of those personal things. I love this stuff. What I am looking for in a mascara is something that will hold a curl without drooping, give lots of length and separation. I want crazy long lashes with no clumping, and this is why I usually hate mascaras that claim to be volumizing. I like to preserve the illusion that maybe - just maybe - those lashes are all mine without much help. I have the same approach to all of my makeup.

This stuff is great. There are so many things to love about it.

Other mascaras that are similar and liked by me: Shu Uemura Basic (RIP), Chanel Initimable, Dior Diorshow (original, not Iconic), Covergirl Lashblast Length & two from Japan: DJV Beautinizer and Kiss Me Heroine Make Long & Curl. The last two are big time favorites, and the Chantecaille is in the running to be a favorite, too.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2013 1:37:00 PM More reviews by timothybcat

I received this as a sample (Ipsy, I think? Or Birchbox?) and use it when I want a very understated look or for just running around doing errands. I don't get much volume, but the length and separation are just beautiful. My eyelashes stay soft, too. It's black but not a very pigmented black, so even if black is too harsh on you this could work. This is definitely not a mascara if you want drama. But if you want something that looks beautiful for the office, go for it. Personally, I just won't be buying a $42.00 mascara, but if money were no object I'd probably pick it as my go-to everyday mascara.