September 2, 2014 | 1556 users online

Toners - Beauticontrol - Skinlogics Platinum Plus Relaxing Tonic

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2012 6:00:00 PM More reviews by lygophilia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I purchased this toner based on the positive review and recommendation of Paula Begoun and I'm total love with it. It feels wonderful and hydrating, sinks in quickly, and delivers great ingredients to maintain healthy skin. My skin never feels irritated nor have I experienced any clogged pores or negative effects from this toner. Sadly this is being discontinued which sucks. I have already gone into stock piling and hoarding mode for this toner.

Ingredients:
Water, Isononyl Isononanoate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Dimethicone, Retinyl Palmitate, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extra, Rosa Gallica Flower Extract, Rosa Centifolia Flower Extract, Milk Lipids, Ceramide 3, Quercus Suber Bark Extract, Sodium Lactate, Sorbitol, Glycerin, Lactic Acid, Serine, Urea, Glycine, Glucose, Allantoin, Di-PPG-3 Myristyl Ether Adipate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Butylene Glycol, Cyclohexasiloxane, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Polyisobutene, Polysorbate 20, Acrylamide/Ammonium Acrylate Copolymer, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Dipropylene Glycol, Citric Acid, 1,2 Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol, Tropolone, Pentadecalactone, Dipropylene Glycol, Tetramethyl Acetyloctahydronaphthalenes, Isobutyl Methyl Tetrahydropyranol, Methyldihydrojasmonate, Anthemis Nobilis (Chamomile) Flower Oil.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2010 10:51:00 AM More reviews by tulipsplash

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Paula Begoun mentioned this product in her weekly web broadcast. I bought it, but will look for something less fragrant in the future. This is very hydrating and smells out of this world beautiful, but I don't like putting fragrance on my face.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2009 4:10:00 PM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I agree - this is a great toner for the low price. I also use BC's Skinlogics GOLD toner and use the Platinum one in the winter when my normal to dry PPP skin is on the dry side.

It does not dry, yet rebalances the skin perfectly.

I, too, am a die-hard toner user and I love this toner.

TRY IT! (And try skinlogics Gold, too.)

Update: 2013/14 this product is d/c'ed. So sad.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2009 11:13:00 AM More reviews by Herbalista

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

All hail, Beauticontrol Skinlogics Plantinum Plus Relaxing Tonic.

This toner is divinity.

So says the woman whose major experiece with a toner was in high school (acne astringents---better forgotten), plus various unsatisfactory Paula's Choice samples and a brief and unfruitful stint with ProActive 10 years ago. Now, after Platinum Plus (long may it live), I will never be without toner. Here's why:

MY SKIN. Eternally acne-battling, with at least 5-7 large lesions active at every given time. Combination w/ lightly oily T zone and normalish cheeks. Extremely reactive (negatively) to many products.

LENGTH OF USE. about 4 months.

BACK STORY. I stumbled across this remarkable product doing something or other research. I had got it into my head that I might try a NON-astringent, non-acne-marketed toner as a form of light "moisturizer" on the lightly oily parts of my face. If it could have antioxidants, so much the better, because then I would not have to fret if my sunscreen did not have them (and a serum might be too much for my reactive skin). So, I allowed myself to look up toners marketed towards dry skin (heresy! New Pimples mutiny!).

The description was tempting ("This twice daily tonic is formulated with rose extracts and floral oils that specifically address mature skin concerns. Potent ingredients such as white tea extract, grapeseed oil, Vitamins A, C, and E, cork oak extract, and sodium hyaluronate are scientifically blended to help skin look smoother and plumper and reduce the appearance of expression lines.")

But, you see, the mention of "floral oils" concerned me, seeing as how irritating natural oils can be to sensitive skin (for me, synthetic is usually better). I hoped that Paula Begoun (Beautypedia; Cosmetics Cop) would have something to say about any irritating qualities, because that's one of her bugaboos (and one of the points in her favor, if you have sensitive skin like me). But she claimed that none of the ingredients carried a high risk of irritation...in fact, she thought very highly of the product and its stable antioxidants in particular.

So, I purchased this (you can get it a few places online, like Amazon). I believe I paid about 20 USD for a 6.7 Fl. oz bottle that has one of those "press down on one end and other end pops up" caps.

SCENT. If you hate fragrance in your face products, don't get this. I usually don't, but this scent is so heavenly, I wish I could turn it into a perfume. I call it "milky roses," or "rosewater de-thorned." It is identifiable as rose, but not nearly as strong, and tempered with the other ingredients. You can still smell it on your face up to a half hour later.

APPLICATION. The product is an absolute dream to apply, beginning with its milky (truly--it is opaque and has the fluidity of skim milk) texture. I hated losing excess product when squeezing the silly cap, so I replaced that with a pump spray, which is much better. However, even though I hate to waste product, I still use a cotton pad to apply, because it helps me determine whether I have any oil pre-cleanse or makeup/sunscreen left over at night.

USES/EFFECTS.

As soon as it touches the skin, you feel refreshed, soothed, hydrated (NOT moisturized, but lightly hydrated). The skin becomes a palette waiting to absorb its treatments and sunscreen. Foundation goes on better.

Best of all, it helps create a very thin but needed buffer between powerful acne treatments like the Acne.org benzoyl peroxide overdose, and my poor put-upon skin. Now, please note that many people say a toner doesn't counteract treatments, and that you can lay down toner first before BHA, AHA, BP, serum, etc. without affecting their efficacy. But it definitely provides enough of a calming layer to make you happier when you put on the scary products.

Many times, I have used this on its own to calm and soothe my Benzoyl Peroxide-ravaged skin (at night). Although it's too thin to get rid of flakes, it makes the face so much more supple and comfortable.

Also, I have used this on red rashes on my neck (from irritation from other products) to much better effect than both Greek yogurt mask and Manuka honey. Instant comfort (without gloppy and smelly cortisone creams).

Needless to say, not one breakout or clogged pore. No mythical oil-fest from the allegedly "dry skin only" ingredients. My T zone loves it as much as my cheeks.

It is truly a precious potion. My love for it is surpassed only by the skincare junkie's anxiety that her favorite product will be discontinued...as the best things inevitably are.

Nothing lasts forever, so try this tonic while you can. Your face will thank you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I added ingredients above, but here they are again as they appear on the bottle I bottle I purchased in early April 2009.

Water, Isononyl Isonononoate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Dimenthicone, Retinyl Palmitate, Sodium Ascorbate Phosphate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Camellia Sinensis leaf extract, Rosa Gallica flower extract, Rosa Centifolia flower extract, Milk lipids, Ceramide 3, Quercus Suber Bark extract, Sodium lactate, Sorbitol, Glycerin, Lactic Acid, Serine,Urea, Glycine, Glucose, Allantoin, Di-PPG-3, Myristyl Ether Adipate,Cyclopentasiloxane, Hydrogenated Polyisobutane, Vitis Vinifera (grapeseed) oil, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) oil, Butylene Glycol, Cyclohexasiloxane, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Polyisobutane, Polysorbate 20, Acrylamide/Ammonium Acrylate Copolymer, Dimenthicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Dipropylene Glycol, Citric Acid, 1,2 Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol, Tropolone, Pentadecalactone, Dipropylene Glycol, Tetramethyl, Acetyloctahydronaphthalenes, Isobutyl Methyl Tetrahydropyranol, Methyldihydrojasmonate, Anthemis Nobilis (Chamomile) flower oil.

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No