April 25, 2014 | 826 users online

Eye Shadow - Maybelline - Stylish Smokes in Charcoal Smokes

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2013 2:34:00 PM More reviews by ljoseph29

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I just never really liked this quad. None of the colors were pigmented and I would have to pack on a lot of eyeshadow for that desired look. I'd rather spend the extra 2 bucks and get better the color pigmentation with the NYX trio in white/silver/black palette.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2013 11:37:00 PM More reviews by martel92

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love love love this eyeshadow! It is so versatile and the pigments are great. I don't use a primer or anything and the shadow lasts all day without fading or settling into the crease. Since buying this for a raccoon costume for Halloween this year to do an intense smoky eye this the only brand of eyeshadow I buy!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/2/2013 5:49:00 PM More reviews by thowell124

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This was the first quad I bought years ago to do the smoky eye effect. I used it so much when I bought it that I went through the entire kit in just a few months. The shadows blended very easily once I worked with them for a bit. The staying power is amazing considering I have other Maybelline shadows that only last a few hours. Unfortunately, although this is a great kit, I would not buy again as I would prefer to find a better quality kit. I'm not completely fond of the sparkly look, and would like to find matte smoky shadows that are a little more toned down on the shimmer.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/19/2013 1:33:00 PM More reviews by neevebabyx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

(I have the new version which is a little different to the first) I really love this quad the colours are all very pigmented and go on nicely and create a gorgeous smokey eye

-however I do use a different matte white for my browbone because this one is way too glittery, also they can get quite messy so I'd defenitely recommend a primer, overall I would probably repurchase this really good drugstore quad

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2012 10:03:00 PM More reviews by Hxcookie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've bought tons and tons of this stuff and i've loved it sense the first time i tried it a while ago. It's always been the same and didn't change like some make up does, And it goes on smoothly with the perfect wand, Has a fabulous sparkle to it that's a plus, And is great for smokey eyes. I will buy again and again and WILL and have recommended it to friends, Every one that tried it says the same as me!! Good stuff!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2012 11:15:00 PM More reviews by alexanna7

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

charcoal smokes by maybelline is a verry nice eye shadows palette.it contains a satin medium taupe-purple, a light satin taupe-grey ,a satin light silver,a dark shimmery black. It goes on smoothly,last long,perfect to do a taupe smokey eyes!love it!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/20/2011 2:53:00 PM More reviews by amyki892

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This quad was never a favorite with me the first time that I bought it, but surprisingly, I've been reaching for it more than I've expected. And usually, when I reach for stuff on a daily basis that means I LOVE it, but that's not really the case for it here. I guess I have to say, it looks nice, the lid color with the crease color are a nice combination, and the silver isn't bad for inner corner. I guess I usually use it on a daily basis because I'd rather use this than my more expensive ones for the day. You have to be careful if your going to play with all four because it has a real high potential to turn into a bruised eye because I've discovered with me, when I had to apply a lot for a really strong smoky eye, there was a lot of random pigments that managed to spread around and it just looked really messy. Use a primer definitely with this, it's important because the pigmentation is not really great, but it's satisfactory in the end. I have the old packaging (where all four are equal-sized squares) and I broke the lid just recently because I dropped it in the sink (which also happened with another maybelline quad) so it's not the sturdiest, just don't throw it around. I don't like the black though, except to line my eyes, and even then it's the least pigmented that it never stays more than an hour. I don't regret buying it, but I don't think I'll buy it again.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/5/2011 6:39:00 PM More reviews by livyeason

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

well theres not really much to say bout this eyehadow quad except:

PROS :-D
beautiful colors! ( i love the purpleish crease color & the lid shade color!)
blends very nicely with one another
just the right amount of darkeness

CONS :-(
doesnt come on smoothly at all
horrible packaging ( the front got scracthed up and broken when it fell out of my hands and clashed against my blush case

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2011 8:33:00 PM More reviews by Christinaann5

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

wow! I am going to review the older packaging (since they have recently changed the formula/set up of the shadows) so i am not sure how the new formula has changed or differs soo this is for the older formula/packaging..
Either way i love my maybelline trios or quads!!!!!
I love charcoal smokes for a daytime or even a dramatic smoky purpley eye!! i find the grays have a slight purple undertone to them but it looks gorgeous on your eyes esp my brown eyes.
i have extremely pale skin and i find these to not look crazy,, i was worried that i would look like i got punched in the eye but no, these are all gorgeous and the pigmentation is great.. esp for the price.
i buy my quads at Walmart or Target (i find it to be the best prices even during some drugstore sales like Bogo 50% so im a coupon bargain hunter so i price the crap out of makeup before purchasing) sO I paid around $4-5 for this quad.
I love the Smokes Collection Maybelline put out bc they are def great coordinating shadows that will def give you a great smoky eye wether it be for day or nite. i love using these shadows w/ other shadows or together.
On to what i think of each shadow:
Each Smokes Quad comes with 4 shadows that will give you various looks. they even show a picture w/ directions on the back to give you steps if you are stuck in a rut or not exactly sure how to use each one. so look on the back if you need a mini tutorial.

Brow- light silver w/ shimmer (not great for Brow but looks so great for lid/inner corner) very pigmented Silver
Lid- a midtone silver w/ slight purple gray tone has slight shimmer/metallic finish
Crease- a purple/gray w/ a sheen to it
Outer Corner- a black w/ sparkle (sparkle doesnt transfer to lid)

All these 4 shadows are very well pigmented!!! i mean its amazing to see how far drugstore makeup has came!! this is a great quad to have if you like more smoky eyes. if you use different color bases, this is give you different smoky eye looks. i love this quad esp w/ the purple undertones in the shadows. def worth the price & would def rebuy if id ever get thru the shadows. i dont think there is a brow bone/highlighting shade in this since the brow bone is silver maybe w/ a fluffy brush it may sheer out but w/ my skin tone, silver wouldnt look right under my brow. so this is def a great quad esp for the matte black in it. it is not extremely pigmented but i actually really like it bc sometimes i dont want to have to tap off the excess and carefully put a black shadow on & blend the crap out of it to make it look decent. this is actually a black im not afraid of & goes on great & can def be built up for more intensity. i like using it in the outer v area or even for setting my eyeliners. I really do enjoy this quad.

all 4 pigmented shadows that can be used alone w/ other shadows are used all together for a great smoky or daytime smoky look. they apply so nicely & blend well. they dont blend all together like some shadows i own. they stay put esp on top of a primer (i find eye primer is essential w/ drugstore shadows...elf has the $1 eyelid primer which is fantastic or u can even make ur own)
So def use a primer for longer staying power & I find on top of a primer & a cream base, these shadows last for at least 8-9 hrs which i then take off my makeup.. they do fade after about 7 hrs but thats bc its hot & humid right now..

So go & give this quad or any of the maybelline trios/quads a try. this is the older packaging since i dont feel the need right now to try out the new ones until i get thru these (which i find the amount of shadow you get is great & it will take me forever to get thru :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2011 4:20:00 PM More reviews by jueykang

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

This is one of my favorite Maybelline quads ever.

Cons:
New packaging - Seriously? My favorite color (dark taupey purple) is now tiny! WHY?!
Some fallout - but that's expected.

Pros:
Amazing selection of smoky eye colors.
Perfect for everyday/night wear.
Amazing quality for low price.