Maybelline Stylish Smokes in Natural Smokes

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

When I started using make-up back in 2007-08 this was on the very first eyeshadow colours I ever purchased. I loved it at 13 years old and now at 19, I still reach for these colours. They are my go-to, feel good eye shadows. Whenever I'm going out for a date or girl's night I almost always use Natural Smokes if I want to be guaranteed that I'm going to like how I look. I think these were the shadows I was using while learning how to do a smokey eye, but I think it's still really good even for smokey eye veterans ;)

For a while, I was focusing on using more of my higher-end shadows, but I always find myself rediscovering this palette and adoring it all over again.

I didn't think I would like these eyeshadows but they are actually pretty good. I have a couple of these "smokes" and don't really have too many complaints.

on 2/16/2015 11:29:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is probably the only palette in which i actually use all the colours, which should amount to 5 lippies by itself, but i deducted a lippie simply because of personal preference and nothing else. I originally bought this quad because the liner shade matched my eyebrows perfectly and at around $16 AUD (i bought this online so it's a bit cheaper than the price in stores), it's not exactly expensive, considering the array of over-priced $20+ drug store products in Australia. I use the liner shade for my brows and the lightest shade as a brow highlight and both colours are extremely pigmented. The only shade that i'm kind of on the fence with is the lid colour, which some reviewers have stated that it's a dupe for MAC's satin taupe. Don't get me wrong, it's a very pigmented shade and blends like a dream, but personally, i think that the shade is a bit too cool-toned on my warm, yellow skin. I use this shade with a very light hand all over the lid and i blend the chocolate brown shade in my outer-v. All shades are very pigmented and blends well except for the highlight shade which i find a bit chalky. Would i purchase this product again? I've put down a 'yes' simply because i have yet to find a good brow colour by itself. The other three colours are great, but they are not the reason why i would buy this quad again because even though i use them, i have better ones that actually match my skin colour.

on 10/19/2014 12:59:00 PM

love this! i don't use the liner shade, just because i like to use my liquid eyeliner. but they are all pigmented and long-wearing. doesnt crease even without a primer on my normal eyelids. love it!

on 8/18/2014 12:26:00 AM

This is pretty good but definitely not the best. I bought some cheap eyeshadows from wet n wild, and morphe brushes eyeshadows, and they are sooo buttery, and pigmented! This has pretty decent pigmentation, but it doesn't have that buttery texture I would like in an eyeshadow. I have this problem with all of maybelline's powder eyeshadows, but it might be just me cuz I have a thing for butteriness in eyeshadows:P the colours are okay, so I have it 4/5 since 3 is too harsh LOL

on 3/12/2014 1:59:00 PM

I love this quad. I suck at smokey eyes but this makes it easy AND natural looking and not batshit crazy looking! Not the softest most pigmented shadows ever but that is good since I am heavy handed.

on 3/12/2014 10:13:00 AM

This quad is one of the reasons I love Maybelline so much. Yes, I do put on another layer than if I was using Urban Decay, but I find it's payoff comparable to Clinique or better. The colors are classic and can be worn smoky or simple. I've really pretty much transitioned from H.E. to Maybelline because of products like this. For the record, I have dark brown eyes and I use dark brown liner with this. I brush the liner shade from the quad over my pencil liner and it stays on all day.

on 3/9/2014 6:04:00 PM

I am a sucker for a really good ad in a magazine and lately Maybelline has some really rockin ads for their eye shadow quads. I picked up "Natural Smokes" and "Chai Latte." I used an eye shadow primer (Lorac). The good: these quads have some of the most beautiful color combinations ever and they are dirt cheap. The bad: color payoff..requires patience. I had to keep dipping my brush and applying to get the degree of color I wanted. If you're on a budget, these aren't bad. If you can afford Urban Decay or MAC, resist the temptation.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Okay so I'll be totally honest- when it comes to eye shadows I'm a tiny bit of a makeup snob (not that I'm proud of that) but it's literally only when it comes to eye shadows. I always feel like if I'm going to buy an eye shadow, I'm okay with spending a little more if it means great pigmentation and staying power... But I digress.... I bought this quad because it was on clearance for like $3 or something ridiculous like that at Walmart, so I figured if it sucked I wouldn't cry over my $3. To my surprise, this is an awesome product. The colours are pigmented very nicely, rich, they blend great, and make a smokey eye fool proof. The liner colour is my favourite, I like to even use it in my crease for an extra dramatic look. I followed their directions just to see if it would turn out nice and it actually did! Oh how I wish I had this back when I was learning how to do a nice smokey eye! It's wonderful for beginners! I don't think it's a lot of money even at regular price, so you should definitely try this one out!

on 10/15/2013 12:47:00 AM

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

I haven't bought Maybelline eyeshadows in years. I wore them in my teen years because that's all I could afford then and I hadn't ventured into the world of high end brands.
I took advantage of a promotion and decided to get this quad set based on the reviews here and I'm glad I did.
I think Maybelline has stepped up its game and I love the look of these eyeshadows. The texture isn't quite up there with MAC, UD or the other brands known for the dense pigment but it's reasonable. Having said that, a good eye primer is necessary for these shadows to last the day. Otherwise they may end up looking slightly powdery. (hence the four lippies)

The Natural Smokes quad is just that; a naturally smokey eye look that's perfect for the day. Of course you can always add more for a night look.

I'm very pleasantly surprised by these shadows. Now if Maybelline could improve their mascaras.