April 19, 2014 | 1901 users online

Conditioner - Generic Value Products GVP Conditioning Balm

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2014 3:26:00 AM More reviews by Anne184

Very pleased with this product. Makes my hair very soft and I only need a very little, since I have fine hair. I have not used the orginal so I cannot really compare. The scent is pleasant, but it doesn't last after my hair is dry. I am guessing that when using the original, the scent will last longer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2014 12:48:00 AM More reviews by lotusfairy

I buy this when I'm on a budget and it works well to condition my hair, but I love it even more as a leave-in. It softens and gives my curly hair good texture and shine without being too heavy or greasy. I love that it is protein-free so I can use it everyday if I wanted to without having to worry about it messing with my protein/moisture balance schedule. I love the original and I would say that this doesn't have a long-lasting scent as I would have liked. Performance wise it is just as good. If it doesn't work as a regular rinse-out, try it as a leave-in. I noticed that even with the original, I have to add a tiny bit of water to get it to properly work for me as a rinse-out. I have no idea why. You get a big bottle for about five bucks which is nice.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2014 10:05:00 PM More reviews by Silvia8329

I will definitely purchase this again. It works great on my greying, color treated, somewhat coarse, wavy hair. I sometimes skip shampoo and use this as a conditioner only wash with no buildup or weighed down hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2013 2:08:00 AM More reviews by beautynewbielbc

This conditioner has really saved my dry and brittle hair. I had some protein overload dryness from the Dermorganics Masque and had been trying so many different products and techniques to remedy the problem without having to have a major haircut. This product has really softened my ends again. After I shampoo, I squeeze the water out and then squeeze the ends again with a dry towel. I then apply this conditioner to the length of my hair and clip it up for about 5 minutes. Some days when I need a little more moisture, I use a dab as a leave in too. The scent is like salon conditioners, love it! My local Sally's sell it for about $8, not bad. I just wish it had a more stylish bottle! I will re-buy!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2013 5:55:00 PM More reviews by pinknika

It might be too soon to tell, but I think I like this stuff. I have never used biolage ever, so I can't really compare, but I read the reviews and I figured hey if it does compare and some biolage users will use this in place, then hey why not!

I wanted something that moisturized pretty well with or without cones and maybe not protein. Well this has neither, although I hear they added keratin to the real biolage balm. I just got finished using Suave Damage Care which is loaded with silicones, and although silicones are bad for your hair, my hair really likes them. Anyway, is this a good replacement for my silicone conditioner?? Maybe. I am sorta of awed at the fact that it has no cones in this, but yet my hair is soft, but it does have that centrimonium chloride, which has a tendency to build on my hair. And I almost think that most V05 conditioners (which I used to despise) have no cones or protein are similiar to this balm, which are even cheaper, even Suave coconut. (haha am I complaining that I can get a cheaper conditioner than this?? LOL) And yeah this stuff doesn't smell too good, kinda salon chemically. Oh and it's waay hard to get out of the tube, gotta knock it back a few times to get it out. Overall, not sure if I'd go back to this or not, but I think it's a keeper for now.

Update: Will not be repurchasing, in combination with the shampoo my hair is way too tangly now and dry. I'm so sad, I LOVED my hair before I bought this shampoo and conditioner. I want it BACK :(.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2013 5:16:00 AM More reviews by Hotflashes

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've used and loved this forever. It's not exactly the same as Biolage but close enough for government work and ... it's cheap as hell. I use it with heat, without heat, as a leave in, as a preshampoo ... it's just a great basic workhorse. The Harmon/FaceValues version is also excellent, if a bit more expensive.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/15/2013 11:25:00 PM More reviews by corifornication

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

To be fair, this is more like a 3.5, but with a price (and scent!) like this, I think it's deserves the bump up to 4 ^^

It took me AGES--I mean a bottle and a half's worth--to figure out how to use this. I kept trying it as a normal conditioner, sometimes I'd let it sit for a little bit longer, but my hair never seemed to soak it up. My hair would feel kinda dry and not that shiny. The reviews were just too good though, so I kept at it. I finally tried it out on damp hair, then wrapped it up in a shower cap and towel wrap to keep it warm, and let it sit for about an hour, and my hair really did feel much softer and nicer. It's fabulous for after protein treatments too!

If this didn't produce the results you wanted, try it again with heat!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2013 3:10:00 PM More reviews by LolaBlue

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I've never used any of the Sally's GVP products before, so I was a little hesitant to try this, but I'm glad I did because I think I've found the perfect deep conditioner for my hair. I have thick, wavy, color treated, dry hair so finding products that work for me can be tricky, but this worked fantastically. This really does have a thick, balm-like consistency, so a little goes a long way. I used about 1/2oz and brushed it through my wet hair. After rinsing it out 5 minutes later my hair felt like SILK. I didn't want to put any styling products in it and ruin the feel it felt so good. And despite how moisturizing this is it was easy to wash out and didn't leave my hair weighed down at all. Amazing, amazing stuff, and will definitely repurchase when I run out (which probably won't be for a while considering the generously sized bottle).

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2013 11:37:00 PM More reviews by PFLovee

I have been using this conditioner forever now, and I am in love! I am a 3B curly girl and this conditioner moisturizes my hair like crazy. I always get compliments on how soft my hair is and all the credit goes to this conditioner. In the shower, I use about two quarter sized dollops and my hair just glides through my detangling comb. I do not use this as a leave-in however, because it is a little heavy for use as a leave-in conditioner. It is perfect for my co-washes though.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/3/2013 11:18:00 PM More reviews by portalhop

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Let me start off by saying that I have both the Biolage Conditioning Balm and the GVP Conditioning Balm sitting in my shower right now, and I switch off their use every other day. These are not the same product. The first sign that alerted me to their difference was when I smelled them both side to side. The fragrance is completely different; but that's not a big deal. The second sign that solidified my finding is that these feel completely different on my hair. My hair feels like SILK when I put the Biolage conditioner on it, and my hair feels like it just has a thick conditioner on it when I put the GVP on. With that said, the end result is basically the same. I have a few less tangles when I use Biolage, but my hair is still smooth, easy to manage, and healthier than it was before I started using either conditioning balm. If I had the money, I would buy Biolage over this. But, since I'm a broke college student, I'm not going to be nitty-gritty over the small things. Thanks for making a great product, GVP!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No