September 2, 2014 | 1835 users online

Sunscreen - Kate Somerville - Protect SPF 55 Serum Sunscreen

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2013 10:28:00 AM More reviews by alison_k

I had such high hopes for this sunscreen. The majority of reviews on MUA, QVC and other places give this product high marks not only for protection but also for its lack of stickiness, great formulation etc. I can attest that this sunscreen soaks into my skin (sensitive, combination, very fair) immediately leaving no white cast at all. It does look shiny when first applied but this does not interfere with makeup application at all. It is not sticky and doesn't smell too strongly of chemicals either. In addition I can use it under my eyes (which water very easily when responding to other sunscreens) with no issues whatsoever.

The downside to this sunscreen is that I do think I have some sort of sensitivity to it when worn under makeup. After I have applied foundation, regardless of the brand or type of foundation, I do feel a slight burning sensation. I have also noticed several bumps appear on my forehead, not pimples exactly, just lumps under my skin like it is the beginning of a rash. These reasons will make me not purchase the full size of this sunscreen (I bought 2 sample sizes on eBay) even though I dearly wanted this to work for me.

I do recommend anyone with even vaguely sensitive skin to get samples first before spending $50 on this sunscreen.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/28/2012 7:24:00 PM More reviews by Fenway45

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I tried this sunscreen on a day when I knew I would be at the pool. I applied liberally and wore a hat. After two hours I noticed that my skin was burning. I went inside and discovered that my face was quite red - I looked like I had a bad sunburn! The product got washed off immediately, but it took my skin a few days to calm down. I'm not sure what happened as I have never had a reaction like this from any other sunscreen. Too bad, because the level of SPF and the packaging were what I was looking for.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2012 1:32:00 PM More reviews by Deandra

Burned a little, unfortunately. My skin is sensitive and I have to be careful with products that have avobenzone - some are okay and some aren't and my skin is very fussy. I think if you have normal to oily skin that is NOT sensitive, it would work very well for you as it is lightweight and looks great under makeup. I went ahead and left this on and the burning sensation was temporary, but I would prefer to use sunscreen that doesn't irritate in the first place. If you have rosacea or any inflammatory skin ailment, my advice is not to purchase unless you have road-tested a very generous sample from the store first to make sure this doesn't exacerbate your condition. I'm giving it a 3 as a "good" rating, in spite of the sensitivity problem because it will probably work for others.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2012 8:48:00 AM More reviews by inneroracle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this sunscreen. I also love Jan Marini's sunscreen as well. This is a fluid or lotion that you apply to your skin, and Jan Marini's is a cream from a tube. This has SPF 55 and Jan Marini's has SPF 30. They are both great products, but I bought this for the SPF rating. I put it on over my moisturizer, and I havne't had any problems so far. It is almost 2 weeks for me, and I am still liking it! My skin does lean dry though.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/15/2012 11:52:00 AM More reviews by rpatchell

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been using this product for 2 weeks now and I have to say I will not repurchase solely for the fact that every single foundation I have worn over it stings and burns! I've tried it under Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua, Neutrogena Healthy Skin and Maybelline dream smooth mousse and they all have a stinging sensation over this spf serum. It's unfortunate because this serum has a really nice consistency, the smell is subtle and it sinks into the skin very quickly. Maybe I have to wait longer to let it set into the skin for 5 to 10 minutes, but I'm always running late in the mornings and I just don't see this happening in my makeup routine.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2012 6:20:00 PM More reviews by jwil16

HG sunscreen. Only sunscreen I can use that doesn't break out my skin or make it feel tacky, sticky or oily. I actually just use this by itself when I am being religious with my sunscreen application, no moisturizer, I find that this moisturizes quite well for my oily skin. I go through phases :/ But when I need to reach for a sunscreen regardless, this is my choice. Soaks in immediately, and leaves no oily or white residue.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/9/2011 5:45:00 PM More reviews by dtm220

I've been using this sunscreen for a few years and have always been happy. I wish it were slightly less expensive, buy the high price is to be expected with Kate Somerville products. Great all year round, alone or with makeup.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/1/2011 1:19:00 PM More reviews by stgirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I received a nice big sample from Sephora. I've been on the hunt for a good, high-SPF sunscreen. I have oily skin and live in the desert, so high SPF and low shine are key for me. I've used this for a couple of weeks now and am really happy how quickly it absorbs and doesn't feel as greasy as other products. I've tried a LOT of them too. I use this under mineral makeup and it doesn't ball up on me. Since I've got oily skin, I use this as a moisturizer/sunscreen.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2011 10:44:00 PM More reviews by rch117570

im very prone to breaking out and ive been searching and searching for a sunscreen that delivers good protection without breaking me out. My skin cleared up really quick once I switched my old sunscreen for this. Ive tried quite a few and out of all of them this one is a keeper. The price is pretty high for me but I guess its worth it. It didnt irritate my skin didnt make me break out and yes it is a bit shiny but hey its an spf 55 what can you expect? All and all its a pretty good product I would recommend.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/3/2010 3:42:00 PM More reviews by healthyskin1234

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I just bought this and did not like. It went on just like my other sunscreens. When I saw "serum" I thought watery like a serum. Left my face greasy.