December 22, 2014 | 1641 users online

Eye Shadow - Chanel - Quadra - 14 Mystic Eyes

rated 5 of 5 on 4/30/2014 3:16:00 AM More reviews by callire

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have a love affair with this palette, but to be fair, I can tell this is really a hit-or-miss product for some people. I absolutely wanted to hate it, but after receiving it, it's just too perfect for me to ignore.

Firstly, here are some of the reasons why you'd hate it: low pigmentation--this quad has a combination of ballet pink, light gray, bronzy brown, and a purple/brown. They all have light-to-moderate (and moderate is really only for the darkest shade) pigmentation, so the colors aren't very intense and need to be built up or used with a colored base (Maybelline's Bad to the Bronze makes a phenomenal base for this product and really deepens the colors). Secondly, these colors are very soft--making them extremely easy to blend (or easy to blend away into nothing). Thirdly, they're all shimmer bombs (all those who said MAC Yogurt is a dupe for the pink shade are mistaken, the pink has a beautiful shimmer/sheen to it). Thirdly, the colors are really best for light-to-fair skin tones (IMO) who can get the full range of this palette (for example, I think the ballet pink looks stunning as an all-over lid color on me, but might look odd on someone with darker, or more golden skin).

Ok, so those are the reasons why most people would dislike it, but I simply have to say that as a pale, pink-toned person, I adore this palette. The shades are shimmer bombs, yes, but they're simply stunning on the eye. They look gorgeous. The colors, while lightly pigmented, give some shape and dimension to the eyes. The color combs I use most are: all four colors (light pink on inner corner/browbone, light gray on the center of the lid, light brown in outer third and dark brown in crease), and duos with light pink on the brow bone (light gray on the lid with light brown or dark brown in the crease, or light pink with dark brown in the crease). I also love how using a darker base means this can be transformed into a smokey eye (light/dark brown combo). The packaging is wonderful--huge mirror, compact design and beautiful, clean look. All in all, this palette for me is a real winner!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/25/2013 7:25:00 PM More reviews by roisinbelfast

I purchased this quad after browsing and almost drooling over all the lovely products on the Chanel counter! I decided to treat myself to this quad as I love browns on my eyes and think this quad is ideal for everyday wear, or you could build it up to a dramatic smoky eye. This product does have some fall out, which isn't really a major problem I just tidy up my skin afterwards. The lightest shade is also thee least pigmented - so I can understand done reviewers feeling disappointed, however, if you apply the lightest colour all over the lid with a brush like the Mac 239 you get a better colour pay off than applying with the Mac 217 for example. I love this quad and would deffo repurchase! Just a gorgeous little addition to my makeup collection! Treat yourself! Love Ro x

rated 2 of 5 on 7/31/2013 2:20:00 PM More reviews by Meganmck

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Oh Chanel.... how you disappointed me...

I picked up this Chanel quad in mystic eyes because it was beautiful, and I thought it would be a nice investment quad because the colours were so versatile!

Well, after breaking the bank slightly on only 4 shadows, I was extremely disappointed. These shadows are terrible. Someone needs to call Chanel and let them know their shadows have zero pigment. When I swatched these with my fingers, they had nice pigment. Between then and putting them on my eye, something terrible happened because on my eyes the colours just melt into each other and look blahhhhhh. Also, the fallout of these shadows is just as bad.... I have nothing good to say about the quality of this product unfortunately...

The packaging of these is classic Chanel and very beautiful... But for the price, that just doesn't cut it when nothing else is good.

Skip, skip, skip these shadows. I can't speak for other Chanel shadows as I have not tried them, and do not plan to. Spend your money on something less expensive and you'll get better quality shadows and save a lot of money.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/1/2013 10:40:00 PM More reviews by DiamondTiaras

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have a small issue to address: The previous reviewer had some good recommendations based on color, but not on quality or price! Four individual MAC eyeshadows cost $60, whereas a Chanel quad is $59. Of course, if you purchase the MAC pans, the total is $48, so that could be a significant difference in price for some people. However, four MAC eyeshadows are .20 ounces, whereas a Chanel quad is .24 ounces. So even if you are comparing pans to to the quad, the price difference versus the amount you get is not really significant between brands.

Furthermore, I honestly feel MAC eyeshadows are of only average quality at best. Many of the shades crease on me, even with a primer, and they tend to fade very quickly on my lids. Chanel powder eyeshadows last 6-8 hours on me before I even add a primer, and after that, they last virtually all day. MAC eyeshadows also are not as finely milled as Chanel's, and I find them to be stiff at times. Of course, your mileage and preferences may vary, but I just wanted to add some insight into the other reviewer's comments.

As for this specific quad, I think Mystic Eyes is gorgeous, and surprisingly so. I'm a very cool-toned, pale (NW15) girl and I wasn't sure if these colors would suit me, but they really do. I love neutrals with a twist, and Mystic Eyes is just that! Pale, soft pink, warm silvery gray, rich brown, and gorgeous copper make for a super feminine, sophisticated palette! I love how this quad can offer a very smokey, sexy, dramatic eye, or a simple and work appropriate look. These shadows, like all the other Chanel shadows I've tried, work beautifully both wet and dry, and they are fun to use to line the upper and lower lash line. The pigmentation is very good. I think Mystic Eyes is a palette that could easily suit a lot of skin tones, because the colors are so universally flattering! I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a versatile, really well-done quad from Chanel.

ETA: I forgot to mention that this is the most shimmery quad I own from Chanel. You can still easily adapt the colors for a work look, but you may want to throw in a matte shade if you use any of the four colors for daytime. That was why I took off one lippie, but honestly I would rate this palette as 4.5 out of 5 if I could.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2012 2:40:00 AM More reviews by liz91

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

The colors in this palette can be duped by: MAC Yogurt, MAC Arctic Grey, MAC Bronze, and MAC Smut. That's the real deal. Save your money and get more quantity and better quality for your money! I do like the Chanel dust bag and Chanel eyeshadow case these come in, however. I guess that's what you're paying extra money for?!

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 12/8/2012 7:55:00 PM More reviews by bitterrose1025

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I brought this palette thinking it would be a great everyday palette. Three of the colors are nice but nothing that can't be duped with cheaper eyeshadows. The silvery taupe color is terrible. There is no color payoff at all. Really for the price of this quad I expected much more. I'll think twice before buying another Chanel quad.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/15/2012 2:15:00 AM More reviews by fiafiafia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this quad for AUD$100. It took me a while to figure out how to use this palette, and now I use it for everyday makeup. Like a lot of Chanel quads, most of the colours aren't very pigmented. However, I am having better luck with this palette, rather than the Vanities quad, which is a complete waste of money and a huge regret. I use the lighter brown colour and pink colour for everyday eyes, and I sometimes use the darker brown a liner, or to add depth to the outter corner. The silver is just glitter, and the worst colour in the quad. tying in third place is both the pink and the dark brown; the pink is chalky and a pain in my backside, you have to layer it several times to get any colour, other than a light shimmer. The dark brown, like the darkest shade in most Chanel quads, has a dirty texture when applied, and lacks all the intensity from the pan. The lighter brown is actually a decent colour, and I use it to define my crease. It's such a shame that these quads aren't pigmented! Mainly because you spend a small fortune on Chanel, expecting quality, highly pigmented colours. You are 100% paying for the label with these quad, save your money and buy MAC, Dior or YSL quads instead.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/5/2012 10:21:00 AM More reviews by ebanks

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have bought and used 3 quads since high school and I will be buying another one soon. They last forever and are very durable- no reapplying. These shadows hardly crease and the colors are expertly paired together. Love this eyeshadow!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/21/2012 12:24:00 PM More reviews by fairhaired1

Wow, I'm really surprised about all of the rave reviews fo this quad. I've only used it twice, but have had it since Christmas, and its seems sort of "eh" to me. I suppose I need to play with it more, but I agree the silvery taupe color is nothing but glitter, and the other colors seem pretty dupeable. I'll try it wet and see if I need to edit this review.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2011 2:04:00 PM More reviews by UCountry2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

Mystic Eyes was recommended to me by the National Makeup Artist at a Chanel makeup event and He was so right .This palette is so beautiful on me .The colors are so beautiful and bring light to my face.I personally would not have looked at this palatte other wise, but so glad I went and listen to a professional Chanel Makeup Artist .