October 20, 2014 | 1953 users online

Eye Shadow - L.A. Colors - eyeshadow quad in Truffles

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2014 2:53:00 AM More reviews by jmmcd

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

For like what... $1?... this is probably the best eyeshadow purchase you can possibly make. The pigmentation is fantastic, as is its staying power. I normally hate this brand's eyeshadows because they tend to be poorly pigmented and don't last any time at all, and also tend to hate most $1 palettes for the same reason, but I don't know what happened with this one... it's like they finally decided to do things right for a change. The color selection in this particular specific quad is fantastic and matches my usual color picks for the neutral eyed look, along with one darker shade so one can go a bit smokey if they so wish (not to mention a lighter brown too to create a more natural look as well). I find myself reaching for this quad constantly on a daily basis, and also stashing it in my purse as well for my backup... it's incredibly versatile. I haven't had any issues with fallout though... maybe I got a different formula, because mine acts very similar to a baked quad (although I haven't actually tried to get it wet to see if it will behave exactly the same way as one). I'm really glad someone passed this on to me as a stocking stuffer! I wouldn't have tried it otherwise.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2013 3:58:00 PM More reviews by JennyWalsh1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Visibility is great but the fallout is something that you have to watch for! I really enjoy this eyeshadow and it is very affordable!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/3/2013 2:18:00 PM More reviews by alg208

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Green

i love LA colors eyeshadows. they remind me of a drugstore urban decay. the pricing is cheap. i love these eyeshadows. these are pigmented, easily blended. my only problem with this quad in particular is that two colors in the quad look exactly the same. i don't own any colors like these (and i own lots of neutrals) they're very unique. i really like these though and i'd recommend trying them :)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2012 8:31:00 PM More reviews by Kali89

I was throughly shocked with this quad. I was expecting cheap blah makeup, but this is probably some of the better eye shadow I've used (pigmented, smooth, easily blended). I bought this because of the rave reviews on here. There isn't a place to review the LA Colors blending crease brush, so I'm going to do it here. It comes in a two pack with a regular eyeshadow brush for $2. It is very comparable to the Mac 217 brush with a shorter handle. No shedding at all. Places color and blends wonderfully. So while your picking up the Truffles Quad pick up the brushes you won't regret it. Plus the applicator in the quad is terrible, I thought about removing a point for it, but since you can buy the quad and the brushes for only $3.50, I decided to review the brushes too and add the point back.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/6/2012 10:51:00 AM More reviews by felissajohnson

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Fallout city!! This is a good product with great colors, although two of them look almost identical. The pigmentation is good, but watch the fallout, it's heavy.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/5/2011 7:37:00 PM More reviews by Christinaann5

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

i love this unique quad from LA COLORS. i love la colors and i feel it doesnt ever get enough love from anyone here on makeupalley or youtube! since LA Colors is readily available here, surprisingly since i live in a town where makeup finds are next to nothing, i can find alot of these wonderful finds at my local dollar stores or family dollars or dollar generals. So lets get onto my review of this gem!
=PRICE & AVAILABILITY=
This quad can be found a few places depending on your location. I can find this at my local Dollar General, Family Dollar, sometimes also at Dollar Tree & online. This will only cost you $1.50 at most! wow! i cannot believe how amazing this quad is for the price! better than most of my drugstore shadows.
=SHADE/FORMULA/PIGMENTATION=
The quad comes in 4 colors- mostly Metallic shades. Its an extreme color quad for sure! It has unique shaped shadows but all sizable for any brush to fit into it.
Pale Gold- this shade is a great pale champagne w/ golden undertone/shimmer. Its not too shimmery but can be sheered out for a highlight (i like matte brow bone highlights but this isnt too bad) i love using this color on the inner tear duct/inner lid area to brighten up my eye
Bronze shades- you get 2 varying bronze metallic shades. One is a lighter mid tone bronze brown copper and the other is a tad darker but still a midtone copper bronze brown. These two shades are great- i mean sooo pretty on the lid. it looks foiled. I love using these alone or both mixed together. i love em both!
Dark brown chocolate- this is a great dark chocolate brown. its almost black looking in the pan but goes on a tad lighter but def still a dark chocolate shade. great for adding on the outer v area or using for a dark smoky eye.or even using wet or alone as liner i love using in the outer v area to darken up the look.
This quad alone can make a daytime neutral look or add the darkest shade to make a nite time look. I love using an individual shadow like the bronzes or the dark chocolate.. wow! The pigmentation & formula is superb! they are pressed well, little to no fall out, they go on smooth & blend well. I like the shadows alot better than most of my drugstore shadows. They are buttery smooth. These can be used dry or wet if wanted. They are pigmented enough but can look even more metallic if applied wet or foiled. I love the formula. I always use an eye primer (the LA Colors concealer makes a great eye primer too) these will stay put for hours & hrs- they look fresh & just like i put em on at least 8 hrs later- excellent shadows & staying power!
=PACKAGING=
The quads comes in an oval like compact. The lid is hard see thru plastic that snaps shut (the one i am using now the lid is a bit hard to open) but the back is black with a sticker for label/shade name. The compact is sturdy & safe & a great size for putting in travel bag if needed. inside is 4 uniquely shaped shadows as shown in picture. They are moon like shaped and shadows are doomed. They have included a slot with an angled doubled ended foam applicator. Its unique bending makes it slightly odd to use if you use them. The shadow size is about the size of a quarter or bigger. They are all the same size. Its great they put such a unique pattern to this. I dont find it difficult for my shadow brushes to fit into the pans. I know eventually once i get further down, the corners of each shadow may cause a bit more work. But overall, the pan is deep & provide alot of each shadow. its great but the not best or worst though, packaging is not a big deal to me so i dont mind it.
Overall, I LOVE TRUFFLES! i love LA Colors though but this is def one of my most used quads! i love it & def will suggests everyone try it- for the price everyone can & im sure you'll be surprised by how good the shadows are! i love it & have bought me a backup just in case i cant find it again, id be devastated! I love it & im sure you will too!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/8/2011 2:51:00 AM More reviews by starlesssky386

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

I like this eyeshadow! It stays forever, goes on easily, and shows up nicely.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/5/2010 9:25:00 PM More reviews by Branny43

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I was out on a "shopping trip" with my Mom, and man was she in a foul mood! Being a respectful daughter, I could only grit my teeth and be nice. She asked me to stop into the local Dollar Store and grab her a bottled drink.
Since almost nothing cheers me up more quickly than some new makeup trinket, I casually strolled past the makeup on my way to the drink cooler, and that's when I spied this little palette. For an extra $1.50 I got a mood-lift and a very pleasant surprise.
This palette contains all usable shades, surprisingly pigmented and silky-smooth powders. The little curved brush that fits the "compact" is more a novelty than anything; the shape makes it nearly impossible to use even for those who like sponge-tip applicators.
Too long a review, no doubt, but a really nice little palette with surprisingly good shadows. Worth way more than the tiny price-tag, and would make a rather nice stocking-stuffer for the MU fans in your life.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2010 9:51:00 AM More reviews by seroled

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

great everyday neutral palette and can be intensified for night by wetting the shadows. Packaging hard to open though.
update: I hit pan on the dark brown color. I will have to pick another one up.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2010 12:47:00 PM More reviews by tobybear

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I picked this up at Family Dollar for 1.50, and I'm fairly impressed with the quality. The shadows are nicely pigmented, not chalky at all and go on smoothly. There's quite a bit of fall out during application but a quick swipe with a fluffy brush remedies that issue. The colors are truly lovely- three shades of rich brown and a light beige color for highlighting. The applicator is awkward and scratchy, so your best bet is to toss that and just use an eyeshadow brush.

The only con would be that the colors are shimmery (not chunks-of-glitter-shimmery, but definitely sparkly) so if shimmer isn't your thing then you may want to avoid this quad. Still, for 1.50 it's pretty darn awesome. This quad is way better than any Maybelline or Cover girl quad I've tried and only a fraction of the price; plus the color stays on my lids longer.