October 20, 2014 | 1895 users online

Eye Shadow - Chanel - Les 4 Ombres - 83 Smoky Eye

rated 5 of 5 on 10/11/2011 9:30:00 AM More reviews by jekm2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

If they ever discontinue this I will be devastated. I absolutely love everything about this product. Its sophisticated, its sexy, its elegant and I find it to be completely perfect for any occassion and any season (I reluctantly admit that for summer it needs to be a dressier event or outing). As I am getting older, my complexion is changing and I really am having to experiment with what colors still look good on me. It used to be the plums and the bronze colors hence I have a lot of those shades so these colors were a bit outside my comfort zone, especially given the price but I am so glad I splurged. For 2 years now this is the only thing I reach for when I want to "know" if I wear it I will look and feel amazing. Will repurchase again and again.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2011 8:04:00 PM More reviews by wickedfreethinker

I adore this palette. I know that some people complain that chanel eyeshadows aren't very pigmented, but that's what I love about this quad. It starts as a sheer wash and you can build up the color. This is perfect for work, I work as a server/bartender and the colors really make my blue eyes stand out, especially in the dim and unflattering lighting. It can get a bit too glittery and falls out easily if you are not careful in the application, but I really love this palette and I use it over and over again.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/3/2011 5:13:00 PM More reviews by Giovanny88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

So the thing about this quad is all about color placement. It all the pends on how you chose to do your eyes that day. For example, if you do not want all 4 color to turn into a HUGE glitter mess. Here is what I do to get the best out of my product. 1st I put the silver color all on my lid, the gray glittery back in the outer corner of the eye and the white color on the brow bone. I use the super black color as an eye liner and it stay on all day. I wouldn't but this product again because I happen to love the Dior smokey Quad more than any smokey quad in the market.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2011 6:15:00 AM More reviews by Cassiebannister

Smokey eyes is my thing. I don't really like wearing colours, just browns, blacks and greys. Therefore i thought that this was ideal for me.

When i first brought it i was a little disapointed with how small the colours were. I quickly got over it when i saw how nice they blended together and how great they looked. I love how they were shimmery and you could really notice how effective it looked.

A bit pricey but i will probably buy it again simply because i like the colours and can't be bothered buying them indiviually or something similar.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2010 12:11:00 PM More reviews by kimberlyball

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

These four shadows work well together and stay put, which is important when doing a smokey eye. You can make them a sheer wash of color, better for day, or if you put a primer/cream shadow under they can be as pigmented as you like. Overall, great shadows. Very creamy for a powder.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/24/2009 11:58:00 PM More reviews by michybabe

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Ugh... I dislike this. The only shade I really use from this quad is the matte black and that's it. The rest together just look like a glittery grey mess. The nuances in the shades aren't very obvious, especially because they are all grey. They end up making my eyes look really small.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/31/2009 6:31:00 PM More reviews by kbhowell

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was surprised at the reviews that found this lacking in pigment...it's actually pretty powerful but the shimmer can be deceiving. I did get a lesson in application at a Chanel makeup event and that was helpful. The white is a beautiful base layer (all over the eyelid and brow bone). Then, I layer with the lighter shade of grey on the lid and use the very dark grey for the smoky look. You do have to be careful because that one can be very dark. But they all blend beautifully and that is the key (blend, blend, blend!) Also, use good brushes for what you are trying to acheive (fluffy for the lid, denser for the creasing). The medium grey can be used for a touch of sparkle on the lid when you are done. I find I can tone it down or make it really dramatic depending on the occasion. Adding the white on at the end will also make it pretty. The sparkle can be intimidating...I usually try to avoid too much of that in products. But try holding a square of toilet tissue under your eye as you are putting the shadow on and that helps. You will end up with a little sparkle on your cheeks but brushing it off with a clean powder brush will help. The shimmer in the Chanel products are very irridescent and glam...not like something in a product for teenagers.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2009 11:12:00 AM More reviews by Henna36

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am a little surprised this product has not gotten better reviews. I am in love with this palette. I think it's stunning and thus far, my favorite chanel quad. When I first saw it I was a bit intimidated by all the silver colors but when I put in on it was very easy. There are so many options with this palette. If you like to wear it sheer for light coverage you can control your application. You can layer it on heavily or add black eyeliner before you start as a base if you like a deep smokey look. The tutorial on you tube really shows you how to do this. I use the chanel rivage underneath it when I want the color to pop. I absolutely love how it gives you the option of a sheer application with a bit of shimmer. It's gorgeous!! Most of the smokey eye palettes I have (Mac holiday, etc) make me feel like a racoon when I am done. This makes me feel so elegant, understated, and sophisticated. I would definitely repurchase this. Also--I bought this off ebay as a tester.. so I did not pay too much. If you are unsure, then try to purchase it that way..

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2009 11:36:00 AM More reviews by lola88

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used to love this quad, but then I was introduced to more pigmented Eye Shadows. I don't like this quad any more. The color payoff is horrible.

Description:
This quad includes a shimmery silver, a shimmery dark gray, a shimmery white, and a matte black.

No matter how much silver I pack on (even with Too Faced Eyeshadow Insurance underneath), I cannot get that shadow to pop. One swipe of my Coastal Scents 88 shimmer palette's silver color and instantly I see the silver pop. And the Coastal Scents palette is $20 for 88 truly pigmented colors vs. Chanel's $55 (?) for only 4 colors with very little color payoff. This is a no brainer. If I had known about Coastal Scents I never would have bought this Chanel quad. Errrrr.....I want my money back! :o(

This palette is ok if you want only a sheer wash of color. The shimmery dark gray is very pretty and unique. Otherwise for true makeup junkies who want pigmented colors and color payoff, save your money--don't buy this quad!

rated 2 of 5 on 8/5/2009 9:29:00 PM More reviews by silkcut

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Had really high hopes for this product as the colours are just lovely, and the packaging is elegant and very posh, a la Chanel. I have used the spices Quadra and have an addiction to the Safari eyeshadow (who doesn't)

However, the shadows are just too sparkly... there is more sparkle than pigment! Several coats have to be applied to even show up the colour.

I do think that I will continue to use this (because I paid so damn much for it!) but more for summer or daytime smokey eyes. Will not repurchase as I doubt I'll ever run out of this stuff. Even if I lose it or anything, still won't repurchase.

Would have been better off buying a few MAC eyeshadows.