August 23, 2014 | 1925 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Derma Roller

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2014 2:33:00 PM More reviews by kaore93

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

I'm so so so glad I found this product. After reading reviews online, and watching instruction vids on YouTube; I decided to try it, thinking that it probably wouldn't work. Before I started using it, I had slight acne scars on both of my cheeks. They were pitted and makeup/primers/pore erasers never worked on them, so I figured I was stuck with them for life. However, after using the Dermaroller on my cheeks once a week for three months (in one direction, applying sterilizing solution to my face and the roller both before and after using) I can honestly say that my scars have faded. Using the DR does hurt a little, but no more than getting cheek fillers or a microdermabrasion. It's kind of hard to get used to at first, but the results are 100% worth it. I can see myself using this for many years to come, since it can also be used to combat signs of ageing =) Amazing product.

**Just to edit my review: I recommend applying a moisturizer of some kind after using the Dermaroller (I use Medik8 Pretox Filler - which is a little pricey but works amazingly, especially on acne scars and signs of ageing - or A'kin unscented moisturizer). A natural one (no parabens, synthetic colors, fragrances etc) would be better since your pores are totally open, meaning anything you put on your skin has more chance of getting into your bloodstream.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2014 12:07:00 PM More reviews by Kimbrili

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I started using the Derma Roller approximately a year ago. I use a 1.5 every 6 weeks religiously. I use numbing cream on my face for about an hour prior to rolling. There is no way I could roll my face without it...It surprises me that some of the reviews posted state they don't need it and it doesn't hurt. I literally break out in a sweat right before I start! I do use enough pressure for the needles to completely go into my skin. Its a little un-nerving because I can hear my skin being punctured. There is some minor bleeding. As far as the results, I had a small scar on my left cheek from having a basal cell removed, and I make sure to roll over that area several times. Before I started rolling there was an obvious "dent" where the incision was, now it's not even noticeable. It looks great! I'm not sure if its just the roller that has helped, or a combination of my skin care and rolling. I use Obagi and sunscreen daily. After rolling I put Obagi CRX vitamin C serum on my face, which does have hydroquinone in it. I really think it goes in deeper and lightens my skin after rolling. There is no more brown pigmentation on my face. I have to say that my pores are smaller, there are hardly any noticeable lines on my face. My skin looks amazing for a 44 year old! I get surprised reactions from people when I tell them my age. That is a good feeling, I think I have found the anti-aging prescription for my skin. I know this process seems very barbaric, but it works, and it's a small price to pay for beautiful skin. I will continue to roll my face for years to come. I'm not going down without a fight.

16 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2014 2:54:00 PM More reviews by sleekly

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I accidentally ran into this product while traveling in Asia. While getting my hair done at a spa, I noticed that many beauticians were using some type of tool to "exfoliate" their clients. At the time, I didn't know that this tool was not really an exfoliating tool. Rather, it was used to intentionally damage one's skin.

What the heck?!

When I inquired as to what they were doing, the beautician explained this to me:

"Your skin has a very strong barrier to prevent water and other external elements from getting under your skin. This is why most serums and creams are not as effective as they can be.

On the one hand, it is a good thing that your skin protects itself this way. But on the other hand, it is a bad thing for "older" people because they cannot get proper nutrition to be absorbed into their skin from their creams and serums."

This made perfect sense to me. So I asked the next logical question: How does rolling your skin with sharp needles help?

The beautician answered:

"On the surface, it looks like we are hurting our clients and damaging their skin. But in reality, we are just scratching the upper layers of the skin. This causes our bodies to want to self repair. When this happens, the body actually creates good skin material like collagen."

Wow, I thought. I need to try this at home.

When I returned home, I tried the derma roller for myself. I have to be honest with you, it did hurt my face at first. I felt like a thousand needles were going to puncture my skin. When I first put the derma roller to my face, I actually recoiled.

Slowly I learned how to apply the proper pressure so that it didn't feel so prickly.

After rolling my face for a few minutes per night, I applied my serum and night conditioner.

So did it work?

Yes!! I recently had visitors whom I have not seen for sometime. The first thing they said to me was that my skin looked young and glowing. Of course I didn't believe them because I thought they were just trying to stroke my vanity.

But I also received compliments from people whom I didn't know so well.

That was enough for me to write this review and also write on Sleek.ly magazine.

I hope you find this helpful.

By the way, I also tried it on my zit that randomly popped up. Overnight, the zit was gone. I was surprised. No kidding!

Good luck to you all. I'll write another update in a couple of months after I continue to use my dermal roller.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/6/2014 4:24:00 PM More reviews by jicegirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have had acne for years and have some scars from it. I have noticed good results from using the derma roller. The scars seem lighter and my skin seems to have generally improved.
I also have scars on my body from an automobile accident and I have gotten (super) expensive laser treatments from the dermatologist to help them go away. The derma roller seems to have almost the same results for whole lot cheaper!!
I wanted to say a few things on here because I got mine for a cheap price and it did not come with directions. There are many misconceptions about how to use it and if you use it in the wrong way it will wear out your skin and have damaging effects.
First thing, don't use it too often! They are not meant to be used every day! If you buy one with longer needles you need to use it no more than once a month. If you get shorter needles you may be able to use it once a week at most. Make sure you look this up exactly for the needle size that you purchase. Some people complain that the derma roller made their skin look red or rugged- those people are using it too often!
Second, try to avoid too much sun right after using the derma roller, especially if you bleed. The only reason for this is that sun exposure will make scaring more probable.
Also when you are using the derma roller, roll slowly and carefully.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/4/2014 5:33:00 PM More reviews by artsaves

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Where do I begin? So I initially purchased this item to combat uneven/rugged texture, scarred pores, scars, and red marks. This all is localized on my upper lip. Why? Because of botched electrolysis treatments. Before using this, I tried every damn thing out there to help get rid of the problems that I was dealing with. I even used Tretinoin 1% cream. Nothing was really working wonders like I wanted.

I was really skeptical about the dermaroller. I researched thoroughly and read through a ton of literature before I even considered buying it. I will actually post a link that not only goes through everything from a to z you would possibly need to know, but also has a video that properly demonstrates how to use the dermaroller. I want to emphasize that rolling back and forth is not the recommended way of utilizing this instrument anymore. That can cause scratching and needle marks. While this way of using it may work for some of you, there are more risks associated with rolling that way.

Anyways, I wanted to start off with a 0.5mm dermaroller. I purchased mine from SkinMedix for $28.00 I think. You can buy from ebay which has cheaper ones, but I don't really trust buying something like this from an unknown source.

I want to say that rolling doesn't have to cause bleeding. This is not how I use it. I think that puncturing the skin may benefit those who have deep scarring or wrinkles but for surface texture irregularities, I do not believe the dermaroller warrants such aggressive rolling.

That being said, I mainly use my dermaroller for product penetration. There are two ways you can achieve that. The first way, you use something (serums, creams), before you start rolling and then once applied, roll until you have your desired outcome. Also very important, don't roll with any harsh chemical based products. That's a no no. The second way would be to apply whatever serum or cream you want after you have rolled. The second way is how I have been doing it. I clean my skin, use my clean dermaroller, roll the upper lip area with a light hand, but with enough pressure to slightly inflame the skin. Then, I follow up gently applying a mixture of emu oil and tamanu oil and let that absorb into my skin. I stay red for about 20 minutes afterwards.

Some may argue that it's pointless to use the dermaroller if you aren't getting pin point bleeding and if you are rolling lightly. I have to disagree. I've seen a great difference in the texture of my upper lip and I haven't even been rolling that long.

I don't use this on other parts of my face because I have no reason to. I specifically bought this item to get rid of the horrors from electrolysis. Time will tell how effective this will be in the long run, which is why I only gave it 4 lippies. So far, I am happy with the results. The red marks that I have had in that area for 8+ months have faded, the scarred pores (different from genetically enlarged pores), have leveled and flattened out, the area is overall much brighter and even. I'm very happy that I decided to take the plunge and purchase this.

Above is the link that I found to be very useful. Just copy and paste the link into the url bar. I hope that it will guide those of you who need any help using the dermaroller!

13 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2014 6:58:00 PM More reviews by Gita1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Please disregard the misinformation by the reviewer below who implies that one can get tetanus from a dermaroller!! It is highly unlikely, unless you have been using your dermaroller for gardening outdoors or cleaning the litter box or if you choose to spread dirt all over your face after rolling. Tetanus is an infectious disease caused by contamination of wounds from the bacteria Clostridium tetani, or the spores they produce that live in the soil, and animal feces. There is no association with rust and tetanus. That is a myth. This came about because one could contract tetanus from an outdoor puncture wound - like from a nail in the dirt. It is not the nail or the rust but the bacterium or its spores that can cause tetanus. Just use proper hygiene and common sense. Thanks for reading. PS - I have used a dermaroller and have had no adverse effects.

15 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/7/2014 3:09:00 PM More reviews by lisflem

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

PROS:
I bought a cheap one on ebay and do it myself
I feel like my skin is thicker and firmer
Wrinkles are less deep

CONS:
It hurst (not a lot)
It takes a while to see results
You have to use with totally natural skin care products otherwise harmful chemicals will get into your blood stream, yikes!

Worth it? Yes, but you have to have patience, it doesn't happen overnight!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/3/2014 11:48:00 AM More reviews by Popelala3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Most rollers contain around 200 tiny needles that micropenetrate the skin. By rolling up and down, side to side, and diagonally, your skin becomes a porous landscape ready to receive topical products. 0.5mm is recommended for face/body while higher professional grade options include 1.0, 1.5, and rarely 2.0mm for thicker parts of the body. Anything less than 0.5mm will not induce collagen production within your skin. 0.5mm reaches the surface of your dermal layers. From there, any products applied will work 100-500x better.

BE CAREFUL about which products you apply post treatment. All-natural serums and creams are the way to go. Because these skin channels stay open for a good hour, chemical additives/preservatives will go straight into your bloodstream and might cause a hefty, red, burning reaction. I personally use Philosophy's VitC/soy serum and 3-4 scoops of pure Vitamic C booster powder. Not all ingredients in the serum are natural but it's one of the softer options out there. Stay away from using peels/retinol/vitamin A post or pre treatments as they will just irritate your skin. The day post-treatment you'll want to pile on the sunscreen since your skin remains hypersensitive for up to 24 hours.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2014 1:25:00 PM More reviews by ebe99059

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am 18 and have suffered from cystic acne since I was 13 due to sensitivities to dairy and sugar. I get bad anxiety and pick my face. I've stopped mostly now, but it caused horrible scarring. Now that I have been a vegan for almost a year, my acne has gone away drastically (still a little pimples here and there). I felt so insecure about my acne scars. I literally used the derma roller once, and yes, the acne scars that made me hate my face, which I never thought would go away have almost disappeared and its only been one use! I also exfoliated my face before I used it which was important!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 2/28/2014 12:47:00 PM More reviews by DJM204

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I had 5x Genuine Derma Roller treatments at a local PS office (from the aesthetician) at a whopping total cost of about $2500. The treatments were spread out of the better part of a year.
Scarring was the reason I was doing the treatments so while I did see a real improvement in the quality of my skin (i.e. clarity, no breakouts), I am disappointed that derma rolling did nothing for my scars. I have mild rolling type scars that are supposed to respond best to the treatment. Perhaps my expectations were too high? It's not like I was expecting miracles...but I did expect something.
Anyhow, I have since bought a 0.5mm home roller (from owndoc.com) since it does help slough off dead skin cells and seems to keep my skin clear of the monthly breakouts I used to get. I think it would also be good for any hyperpigmentation that resides in the epidermis (I don't have any).
Bottom line: It did not help with my scarring. I will continue to home roll but I would never again pay $2500 for something that can easily be achieved through cheaper means.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about this review or the treatment in general.

12 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No