December 21, 2014 | 1902 users online

Lipstick - Lipstick Queen - Oxymoron

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2014 12:30:00 AM More reviews by staciarose22

I was browsing the aisles for a high end cream blush/lipstick hybrid and I was going to buy another from Stila till I saw this. You get a lot more product for $1 less than Stila, and this works better on your lips. The ingredients list is also more high end quality. There is shea butter, avocado oil, jojoba oil, and meadowfoam seed oil. Stila's version is mostly castor seed oil and lanolin. Even though this line is limited to four shades, each shade works with all skin tones and it looks like a natural and chic (effortless) color. Perfect for any time of year. I chose Minor Crisis because it's a deep rose pink. You can apply it lightly or more intensely for different looks.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/10/2012 2:55:00 PM More reviews by MaddieEvans

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought it from ebeauty.ca for about $17. This is a really good product to simplify your everyday makeup. I have the "minor crisis" shade, which is a girly, rosy pink, and it looks lovely as a lip colour or cheek colour. It's great if you want something that looks natural, but better!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2011 3:53:00 PM More reviews by Kayelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This balm-lipstick hybrid is terrific. I have Free Ride, which looks a little bit brown and unnatural in the compact, but on lips is a gorgeous pinky nude. The texture is lovely, the packaging is adorable, and the color lasts well. I love everything Lipstick Queen, and can't wait to see what they turn out next.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2011 2:22:00 PM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

A great and gorgeous thing: calls itself a matte gloss, feels like a balm, but with more colour payoff--part-way to a lipstick. While this stuff is pricey, the colour is intense, highly pigmented.

There are four colours available, each of which is a YLBB sort of deepening and intensification of one's natural lip colour. They also layer, so one could get two for more or more shade combinations. I tried the two lightest, Free Ride and Minor Crisis. FR is a delicate slightly pale pink with a peach note: too peach-orange on me.

MC is a true pink, slightly more on the blue side than the red. I'm a redhead with pale skin, and pinks are tricky on me--yet closest to natural lip colour. This just about works, though I'm not 100% convinced. It's the pinkest I've worn without feeling a need to wash it off as soon as I saw a mirror. The extreme end of possible pinks for redheads... See pics at end of review: even on washed-out dry skin, it's certainly a perky pick-me-up.

Not a perfect 5 for colour, though, as in most lights, unless only the teeniest dab is applied it's too pink and garish. Another way to manage it is to wear something more rose-brown underneath--ex. Silk Naturals Nectar (Black Honey dupe)--or to franken-mix the two together.

Easy to apply: either use the brush provided (or some other fine-tipped brush) for more colour, or just use a finger-tip. Very easy to touch up (say, end of the day), using the old finger.

Can also be used as a blusher, like various others on the market (Stila etc.).

No scent or flavour, and no bismuth oxychloride or carmine. Drying on its own, but lovely with lip-balm underneath. Current preference there--Weleda Everon or Nivea classic, plus an SPF balm during the day.

Packaging: plastic compact, of sorts, without a mirror. A mirror would have been a nice addition. Come with a small fine-tipped brush, outer discardable packaging very pretty but simple--Beardsley-style card backing, plastic sleeve.

The ingredients aren't altogether vegan (there's beeswax, for ex.), but cruelty-free company. Horrid prices: CAD 28.00, USD 22.00. But given that Oxymoron is intense, and (on me anyway) lasts well, it should work out as a better deal than cheaper things that aren't as good.

INGREDIENTS: Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil Octyldodecanol Dipentaerythrityl Tetrahydroxystearate/Tetraisostearate Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax Polyisobutene Silica Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil Beeswax (Cera Alba) Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil Vegetable Oil Ozokerite Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil Meadowfoam (Limnanthes Alba) Seed Oil Linoleic Acid Linolenic Acid Butylparaben Propylparaben Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891) Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499) Red 7 Lake (CI 15850) Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19410)
Ingredients on the Lipstick Queen site last updated in 2007, to reflect compliance with EU nomenclature.

Images:

(taken in natural light; no face makeup, apologies for slightly dry skin; Oxymoron applied with finger, very fast. With brush, you get a more lipsticky, finished, and more pigmented effect)
The insert card:

continued >>

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2010 12:49:00 PM More reviews by Rapunzelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I think i have this in Honest Politician, though I'm not completely sure since the label came off. As a lipstick this is fair. It is a little on the dry side and it looks caky unless I apply it sparingly (almost like a stain). However, as a blush, this is amazing!!!! I just lightly touch it with my finger and rub it into my cheeks, and it looks completely natural and lasts for a loooong time. I do agree the packaging is cheap looking and the color selection could be better, but I have been using this practically every day for months and months and have barely made a dent and always have a pretty natural-looking flush on the apples of my cheeks. LOVE!!!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2010 10:56:00 PM More reviews by rediska

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I quite liked this product for the subdued pink colour,ease of application and versatility as both a matte gloss and creme blush.

I don't really like tha cheap packaging though and the fact that the product starts to look greasy and grunny after you've put your fingers through it one too many times. It starting drying out after several months too.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2010 6:39:00 PM More reviews by ybabe

This is what I wanted Laura Mercier's matte stain to be! The best thing about Oxymoron Matte Gloss is its lasting power! This stays put all day! However, I do have to agree with other reviewers about the color selection. I have this in Honest Politician and Deafening Silence. Honest Polititian is a bit too pink for my warm skintone, and while Deafening Silence is a great color, it's just a little too dark on me. If the color selection was better I would give this 5 lippies for sure! I would definitely repurchase, as this stuff lasts and lasts, and is not drying like other matte products. Love the big flat pot, too. Plenty of product, and easy to carry around in my purse. I'm also a fan of the Lipstick Queen 'Saint' sheer lippies. Go Lipstick Queen!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/17/2009 6:24:00 PM More reviews by livefaststaypretty

Have to agree with past comments about the colour of Minor Crisis... I have an olive complexion and can usually handle darker pinks as part of a "natural" palette, but this just didn't look natural on me. Huge shame, as the product concept is brilliant. Still wearing it, but only when I'm feeling bold!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2009 4:53:00 PM More reviews by wiseowl

I own seven other LQ products, totally adore LQ. However, for me, this product was one of those things that in theory sound great, impressed that she thought of the concept behind it, but the shades themselves need to be tinkered with. I have Minor Crisis and it's too dark on me. I'm someone who wears Red Sinner and Rose Sinner all the time, so I'm not afraid of color, but something about the tone on this just misfired with me. The reason I'm not making it a one is that I could see women with dif. coloring than mine having better luck with the Oxymoron line. Also, while in theory like the idea of a matte lip gloss/blusher, is a little too dry on my lips (unlike her Sinner, which is very pleasant on me, never have to wear balm underneath, but at the same time it truly is matte) and the mattte-ness of it makes it hard for me to blend it on my cheeks--yes, I knew it would be matte, but given that the shade is really noticeable on me, wish I could blend it a bit more. I might re-evaluate if she comes out with more shades. Kind of odd the shade not working, when her lipsticks are so good as far as that goes. But for anyone new to LQ, I'd suggest trying her Shine, Saints, and Sinners first, which I think are more representative of her general palette. Not that I'm heartbroken over this misfire, even a great brand can have a fumble now and then. If only Poppy King had a twin sister obsessed with producing flattering foundation shades...

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2009 6:38:00 PM More reviews by gna

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Lovely product. The problem is the color selection. I feel like all the colors are too cool and light. I'm a light-medium , but my lips are pigmented in a darker way. I need mid-toned lip colors. Would purchase if there were suitable colors. However, I enjoy the line's gloss pencils & pen glosses.