Ardell Brow Perfection Stencils

Brow Perfection Stencils

Price: $

Price: $

[[[CLICK CONTINUE FOR PIC]]]

This product is under-hyped, in this review I will explain why. Most people seem to LOVE the Anatasia stencils but wouldn't buy these Ardell ones. Here is a compare/contrast between the two: Ardell and Anatasia BOTH have 4 stencil shapes. However Anatasia stencils are $20 while Ardell stencils are $4. When you are buying the stencils, most likely you will only find one stencil shape that fits your eyebrow shape. Am I right? Why then are people willing to pay $20 for stencils that they can only use ONE of them? I just don't get it. Don't get me wrong because I love high-end brands. But I like to spend my money wisely also. I rather pay $4 for the Ardell stencils, because I only will find ONE eyebrow shape that fits mines. I did however fell into the hype of Anatasia's stencils and bought them at Sephora. However when I tried them I didn't find them any different that my Ardell ones.

Here is a TIP: for those of you that find Ardell stencils hard to use. CUT THEM! I have a picture here showing how I cut my stencils. The Ardell stencils are large and may be hard to hold in place. Look at the picture and see where I put the dotted lines? Cut the stencils out into a smaller rectangle so they are easier to use. If you still find them hard to hold, try using tape. Use tape to hold the stencils in place while doing your eyebrows. I rather cut out my stencils and use tape then spend the EXTRA money for stencils!

EDIT: A MUAer sent me a message to ask what are eyebrow stencils use for. I wrote back to her and thought this would be helpful to put that info here too.

There are two main purposes that I use the stencils for.

1) To outline my eyebrows for tweezing.
I take a white (or any color) eye pencil and outline the shape of the stencil on my eyebrows. I then tweeze around the white line that I traced and...I get perfectly shaped eyebrows. I like to do this instead of waxing. For one thing waxing your eyebrows can cost from $10-20, and the technicians don't always get that right shape that you want.
TIPS: You should prepare your eyebrows by brushing the brows with an eyebrow comb first. Next, apply an astringent such as witch hazel to anesthetize the sensitive skin under the brow.
By using the stencils you can be definately be sure you will achieve that perfect shape you wanted. By following the white outline you can be sure you will never tweeze "too" much.

2) Whenever I apply my makeup I always always use these stencils. I find them easier to use then to just draw my eyebrows free-handed. I simply place the stencils on top of my eyebrows and use a brown eyeshadow with and eyebrow brush to draw them in. continued >>

I absolutely love these stencils, but I could see how someone might get frustrated using these incorrectly. I bought them because my eyebrows are shaped differently, one has an arch that is slightly more round, the other more arched and the left is slightly higher than the right. You can't really tell by looking at me, but I noticed how my face was a little 'off' in photographs, and finally pinpointed the problem: eyebrows!
I have a whole method for these!
I start out with a good trim. All the plucking in the world will lead to messy brows if the hairs are the wrong length. I comb all the hairs up towards my hairline, and holding them up with one finger, I snip about 2-3 millimeters off the stragglers, all the way across on every part of the brow. Next, I comb all the hairs down ward and do the same thing. The result is a set of eyebrows with rather tame hair lengths. Over trimming will lead to patchiness- the trick is to do this often, every week or two, the maintenance is well worth it. Step two: I find the stencil where the arch matches mine the best. That means the majority of my hair will fall inside the stencil when I lay it over the brow- don't pick a stencil that looks nice but is far from reality! Mine happened to be 'Elegant'. I took a sharpened white eye liner, and shaded the entire open area directly onto my eyebrow. To get nice clean edges, I made sure to draw from the edge of the stencil inwards into the hairs. At this point, it helps to have a friend check to make sure that both the brows are level and spaced equally apart from your nose. Then finally, plucking! I plucked all the hairs that weren't covered completely in white. Hairs that were semi covered- most of the follicle, just the ends sticking out- I took the small scissors and trimmed off the uncolored part. It sounds awfully complicated, but it's not once you get the hang of it. I'm now pleased to say that with these stencils, a pair of nice tweezers and small scissors, I now have very even, nice eyebrows that I only have to set with wax in the morning.
Oh- another plus! These stencils are plastic, they clean easily- just wipe them down with makeup remover. Some of the other ones are cardboard and get soggy when wet/stain.

on 7/3/2008 1:13:00 AM

These are ok if you don't really have that great of a technique shaping in your own brows, but after thinking about it, how is one brow stencil going to be perfect for everone's face?? I would say its much better just to practice enhancing your own natural brow, I know there's 4 different styles but they are all the same length and slight variation of style, and that's not the case with the billions of eyebrow shapes there are in the world. Try drawing in the shape that you want OVER your already existing brow (grow them out if necessary), pluck mostly from the bottom, and don't worry about getting them perfectly symmetrical. No one but you will notice, so don't give yourself a headache over it.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I initially tried these years ago and they were enormous and didn't work for me. Recently, I was looking for something similar and ended up spending ridiculous money on the Anastasia stencils and returned them because they were so awful I don't know where to begin. Thought I'd give the Ardell another shot a decade later lol after reading the reviews on here and was pleasantly surprised. They've clearly improved them. They are smaller and have a variety of shapes.. um..oh yeah and they're only like $5 !!! Compared to Anastasia's ginormous $25 ones that come in one awful "C" shape (incidentally, the word "Clown" starts with the letter C.. coincidence?), only in different thickness.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I love these stencils! I use them two ways. First, I fill in my brows with these very dark, then pluck outside the lines and I get a perfect shape. Then, I can use them to fill in my brows on a daily basis. I have received countless compliments since I started using this product!

on 7/11/2008 6:47:00 PM

The only other stencils I have even looked at are Anastasia's and I am not willing to pay $20 for a stencil. Plus hers all seem like the same shape that just vary in slimness! The Ardell ones are actually different shapes to give more of an arch or curve, depending on the look you want. I find them very easy to work with (I use one hand to hold it in position while I use the other to apply brow powder). And when the day comes that my stencil finally cracks or breaks or I lose it, it won't kill me to have to buy it again.

on 12/3/2007 2:38:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'd never used brow stencils before but I just can't seem to shape my brows on my own anymore so I got Anastasia Brow Express. Bad mistake so I gave that away and found these stencils at CVS. I only use the Delicate stencil because it's the perfect shape for my face and is the closest match for my natural brow shape. The other ones weren't so flattering and I'm sure I tossed them. This is one of those YMMV products. I only use the stencil to shape my brows when they need shaping and I fill them in freehand after that. Works fabulously and I just eyeball it, meaning that I place the stencil over my brows so I can see where the stray hairs are, take the stencil off and pluck the hair. Repeat until I get the desired shape. It takes a little more time but it works for me.

i really like my stencils. i usually use the glamorous but some days i like to switch it up and use the other ones. I always wanted to have the nice eyebrows that i've seen all the other girls have but didn't realize how they did them, granted i always tweezed them, but i never like their natural shape.

MY biggest complaint (like everyone else's) is that they are too long and extend past the eye, but that that can be fixed. As for everyone saying that they hate having to hold the stencil up on their face, i found this one website that sells a version of their own (i think it's called 'eyebrowz.com' or something like that. Anyways, for a few dollars more you can get the elastic head band thing. (which i think i might go to walmart and buy some thin elastic. Take a hole punch and punch a smal hole on both sides of the stencil and thread the elastic on both sides. Doing like a 80's sweat head band type thing. That way you don't have to use a hole bunch of tape and you can keep your stencil on. (i'll post some pics as soon as i can)

on 6/4/2010 5:03:00 PM

After going to ULTA and having a look at the Anastasia $20 eyebrow stencils I decided that I was NOT going to spend that much money on plastic cutouts. I also remembered that once I had seen something like them in a drugstore before. I found them at CVS last night and I am very happy with them! My favorite is 'Delicate' as that's what works for me best and looks natural, but sometime I might try another! No this product won't be perfect on EVERYONE but most people will be able to find one stencil that works for them.

on 10/25/2006 11:53:00 PM

I like these, but there could be some improvements. I would like them to be stick-on in some way, because it's hard to hold these against your forehead whilst filling in your brows with powder. They are also too long--there's too much random material beneath the stencil itself, which will cover your eyes. This is easily remedied by cutting them, but it's still annoying. But they're pretty good for how cheap they are. You get four stencils: Classic, Glamorous, Delicate and Elegant. My particular favorite is Delicate as it seems to fit the preexisting shape of my brows the best.

Popular Brows Products