4.7

package quality

price range

Reviews

6 months ago

I got this in a mini set from Sephora a while back (like years). I am neutral leaning nw20, deep winter, brown/hazel eyes, 3n hair. I LOVE this red. Sadly it is always sold out on the Besame site. I hope they still make it and it just sells out fast. It is right up there with my other favorite reds, Revlon Fifth Avenue Red (LE) & VGI The name of this lipstick pretty accurately describes the color. It is a deep red velvet shade. Not vampy, not too cherry or blue based. Definitely not orangey at all. If I was on my phone typing this I would be adding heart emojis right now. Some reds can be pretty but require a bit more blush or seem too much for simple wear. Red Velvet 1946 is just captivating. My eyes looked dark and rich like I had eye makeup (just had this lippie on, that's it). My cheeks looked slightly flushed with the perfect amount of color. My lips were so gorgeous, bold but not over powering. I looked in the mirror and the first things to pop were my eyes and lips. At 45, I will take all the popping I can get! I love, love, love this red on me.

About reviewer (1201 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinSensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrunette, Wavy, Fine

a year ago

These lipsticks totally lived up to my expectations! The colors are all lovely, the lipstick doesn't dry out my lips, and it doesn't taste like anything - yay! Too many lipsticks have a weird plasticky floral taste, which is disgusting. I need more colors!

About reviewer (2 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinOily, Olive

HairBrunette

2 years ago

Edit: I still love love love the color, but I got tired of the transfer and with it disappearing when I eat, since it's not a MLBB color. Dropped one lippie and will not repurchase. --- Amazing product in beautiful packaging. This is flattering and fuss-free enough for me to wear it out on a daily basis! I was very red-shy but I was determined to find one that worked. Reds always looked very off on my fair-medium skin, because I have an olive skintone with a lot of yellow. I actually had buyer's regret immediately after ordering this online because I realized it look a bit... pink? magenta? on my screen. But when I finally received it and swiped it on, I was in love. This is a neutral red that doesn't come off as Crayola red. (I'm looking at you, Revlon Really Red!) It does not make me look sickly and sallow, or very pink. It looks like it belongs on my face. My teeth aren't the whitest but this doesn't make them seem more yellow than they are. This is not a moisturizing lipstick but the satin-matte finish makes this longer-lasting than a regular lipstick. I would absolutely repurchase this. I wish Besame made a medium warm pink because I'd love a lipstick that color in this formula.

About reviewer (70 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBlack, Straight, Medium

EyesBlack

2 years ago

Fabulous product. A rich red that leaves a nice stain on the lips and can be layered on accordingly. The formula is one of the few I've encountered that is genuinely moisturizing on the lips. I can wear this to work for eight hours and not have to worry about my inner lips drying out, like with my other lipsticks (which are mostly matte, so I guess I've made my bed with that one . . .) Only down side is the price, so this is a treat-yourself kind of product .

About reviewer (162 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Cool

HairRed, Curly, Medium

3 years ago

I love this color! It's a little on the darker size and it's a blue based red that's very wearable. I love the casing and the lipstick itself has an edge that makes it easy to use as a liner. Even though it's not labeled as long wearing, it actually does last awhile.

About reviewer (111 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinDry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrown, Curly, Medium

3 years ago

For reference, I am a MAC NC30 (light-medium skin with yellow/warm undertones). Red Velvet is described online as a "A deeper red suitable for every day wear. This neutral undertone red looks wonderful on all skin tones." In my experience, this color is more accurately a subdued red with a warm/pink undertone. On my medium, golden skin, this red pulls more pink/berry, which to me is a dead giveaway that this red is not truly neutral. While I'm wearing Red Velvet, it seems to look different depending on the lighting. In low/darker lighting, it actually looks like a deep, true red; however, in most situations (well lit rooms, direct sunlight), it's more of a berry/pink red. While I was hoping for a more true red (like the color of Sephora's Cream Lip Stain in Always Red), I still like the color because of its demureness/subduedness. It is not an "in your face" kind of red and would agree with Besame's description that it is a suitable red for daily wear. The finish of this lipstick has a nice sheen to it that is very flattering on the lips. The formula of Besame lipsticks is great. It does not cake up or become heavy on the lips despite layering. The lipstick is not drying and lasts well even on the inner rim of the lips. The lipstick is not transfer proof but the color does stay even if you see transfer. Overall, I like the formula and like the color enough to not completely regret my purchase. I don't think I'd repurchase Red Velvet as it is not THE red that I was looking for. I would still recommend this color to someone who is looking for a nice, pink undertone/warm red to add to their collection and recommend Besame Cosmetics overall because of their great lipstick formula.

About reviewer (14 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinSensitive, Medium

HairBrown

3 years ago

I'm obsessed with red lipsticks and this is probably my favorite one. It goes very well on my fair complexion with yellow undertones, it has more of a blue-base so it doesn't look too bright or too dark on me. Like so many others, I bought it after reading that it's the lipstick used on Peggy Carter and I do not regret getting this. The shape of the lipstick takes a bit getting used to, bit once you get the hang of it, application is quite simple. I'm definetely considering buying more Besame lipsticks.

About reviewer (3 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBrown

4 years ago

I love Besame and I love this formula, but I have Fuchsia Lip Syndrome - anything that is even slightly cool pulls fuchsia on me. And this pulled HARD - a sort of weird, bright, pink/purple - absolutely nothing like all those lovely instagrams of Agent Carter fans (though, it maybe looks a tad pink on her sometimes as well??). So it's not truly neutral and it doesn't have enough brown/yellow in it for my warm complexion. Now, my weird olive/yellow undertones are not Besame's fault so only one lippie off for them (I do dearly love their lipstick formula and packaging). But a note for my fellow warm olives: try Red Hot Red instead - that one is very close to HG for me.

About reviewer (14 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination, Olive, Warm

HairBrunette, Curly, Other

4 years ago

I'll come clean: I got this because my SO and I are Marvel nerds and I thought it would be fun to try Peggy Carter's red lipstick on myself. I didn't expect, though, that it would become a favorite formula. It comes in a gold bullet-shaped case that looks vintage, and when you open it, it feels vintage too. The shape of the actual lipstick is *awesome* and makes it much easier to apply straight from the bullet (though, I would still recommend using a lip brush to apply.) When you close it, it gives you a nice and satisfying click to know it's locked up. It also has a vanilla smell, though it isn't as strong as MAC's, but it dies down quick. The color itself is well pigmented. It *is* more of a neutral-based red, though, on my cool yellow undertones, it tends to lean just ever-so-slightly more blue-based than yellow. That isn't necessarily a bad thing because it's still very wearable. It's a red you can wear to the office, but also use for a night out. As other reviewers note, it sits somewhere between a matte and satin finish. It's long-wearing, but does not dry out the lips. It wears for an absurdly long time for the type of formula it is. It is not transfer-proof (if you kiss or eat, it will get on whatever), but it also somewhat stains the lips. I find if I don't eat (though, I did drink from a coffee cup), it goes for at least 7 hours with the strong possibility of going longer without a touch-up. I think this would be a very versatile shade for all skin tones, and judging by the reviews here, I don't think I'm wrong. The price of $22 for 0.12 oz and the performance puts some of the higher end lipsticks (looking at you, NARS Audacious) to shame and proves you can get just as great a lipstick at a lower price point. Pros: - Pigmented - Long-wearing - Shape of lipstick makes for easier application - Versatile for pale princesses and POCs due to neutral-tones - Matte/satin mix (best of both worlds) - Perfect for pin-up looks - Office and night out-friendly - Doesn't bleed or feather - Inexpensive for mid-end brand ($22/0.12 oz) but just as high quality as high-end, luxury brands Cons (I had to really scrape for these): - Transfers - Leans slightly more blue on yellow undertones (may not be a bad thing; some may not like as much) - Scented

About reviewer (85 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair, Warm

HairBlond, Wavy, Fine

4 years ago

This is just an all around good red. It is highly pigmented, smells nice, and is long-lasting. It doesn't dry my lips, and it has a lovely finish that for me is between matte and satin. If you are an inexperienced lipstick wearer you may have trouble applying it, as it's a bit tricky. I recommend using a lip liner in a similar red and/or a lip brush.

About reviewer (11 reviews)

Age19-24