Chanel Joues Contraste Powder Blush in Orchid Rose

Chanel Joues Contraste Powder Blush in Orchid Rose
Chanel Orchid Rose JCJoues Contraste Powder Blush in Orchid RoseJoues Contraste Powder Blush in Orchid RoseJoues Contraste Powder Blush in Orchid Rose

4.6

(((RATED 8 ON SKIN DEEP))) Ingredients: talc; polyethelene; magnesium stearate; alumina; mineral oil; fragrance; methylparaben; lanolin alcohol; magnesium myristate; silk powder; propylparaben; peg-8; tin oxide; tocopherol; ascorbyl palmitate; bht; ascorbic acid; citric acid. May contain: red 36; red 6; red 7 lake; red 34 lake; yellow 6 lake; red 33 lake; yellow 5 lake; blue 1 lake; red 22 lake; red 28 lake; yellow 10 lake; red 30 lake; carmine; ultramarines; bismuth oxychloride; ci 77491; ci 77492; ci77499; ferric ferrocyanide; manganese violet; ci77891; mica.

on 9/23/2007 8:46:00 PM

(Pics further down in review) I am NW 20 with warm freckles, dark brown hair with a hint of auburn and dark brown eyes. This blush is pretty much the most perfect blush in the world. If I could only use one blush for the rest of my life, this would be it... and that comes from someone owning 50+ blushes (sad but true).
Orchid Rose (OR) is a pinkish nude blush. The picture below emphasizes the pink undertones more, it is a TAD more nude if applied more sheerly (depending on how much of your skin can shine through). you can wear it with nearly all kinds of colors. OR has very very very very very VERy fine microshimmer. But what makes it so special is the texture. It is so smooth that it creates some kind of wet look effect. Don't think dripping wet, think glowy and dewy and juicy. Or in other words: it gives you the deweyness without the gloopiness of some cream blushes.It is of course an optical illusion, since OR is powder after all.. but a powder whose surface reflects the light in a unique way. It is just very hard to describe but I hope the pictures capture it somewhat. Both turned out very close to what the shades look like in real life

Just one thing... just ingore the brush that comes with it. It is crappy beyond belief continued >>

on 5/25/2009 2:37:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I have never purchased makeup from Chanel before recently, when I decided to reward myself for a big achievement with a new blush. The Chanel SA was extremely helpful and tried both Rose Petale and Orchid Rose on me. Both were beautiful but it was mutually decided that Orchid Rose was the better summer shade. I have been very happy with the purchase, despite some ongoing remorse about the extravagant price tag (by my standards).

As the reviews suggest, Orchid Rose is not easy to describe. On me it is a warm neutral with tawny, peach, and rose tones. It does not look like a shade that belongs in the "rose" family, though. And where the "orchid" part of "Orchid Rose" comes from, I have no idea. There is a noticeable multicolored shimmer in the pan that, thankfully, does not show up on skin but rather imparts a subtle glow. This is what shimmer is SUPPOSED to do.

The texture of this blush is incredible. It is so finely textured and soft it's almost creamy. Whereas I have to work to pick up some blushes with my brush, this blush adheres to my brush with almost no effort and sweeps onto my cheeks without caking or looking splotchy. I am pale-skinned with yellow undertones (MAC NC15/BB Warm Ivory) and this shows up nicely with one swipe. Even with a heavier application this continues to look natural, like the color I would pick up if I spent a lot of time in the sun.

The staying power of this blush is incredible and rivals just about any others that I've tried (though I will say that Lancome's Blush Subtil is also a long-lasting product). I was really struck at how well the color wore through a 10-hour workday when I started using it. And, unlike some blushes (ahem, MAC), there is minimal change in color or texture over the course of a day.

I would repurchase this and several other Chanel blushes if I had the money - for now I am enjoying Orchid Rose as a well appreciated indulgence.

on 9/13/2008 12:36:00 AM

Orchid Rose is a dusty rose shade that has multi-coloured shimmer (silver, pink, green). It's extremely pretty when swatched but it's too bad the shimmer doesn't show up on the cheeks! =( But I think what happens to the shimmer is that it translates into an ethereal glow. The colour and glow looks like its coming from within opposed to MAC blushes which tend to sit on the cheeks. Most JCs are very pigmented, but I would say this is a sheerer blush than most... colour still shows up, but I just need to dab twice - no biggie really! The outcome is a natural rose flush on the cheeks which I love! =) I also absolutely love the chic packaging and rose scent. Repurchase any day! Oh, & this is the EU version btw.

this is simply my favorite all-time blush. it's the easiest to wear and goes with almost every lip/eyeshadow combo you can think of. it's like a neutral, wearable tawny rose shade that seems to morph magically on your cheeks into the perfect, your cheeks but better color as though it were formulated expressly for you. others have described this as peach, pink, mauve, etc...it's very hard to pin down as it's not really any ONE of these shades....it's a bit of each. and it has the subtlest shimmer to it....simply gorgeous on. I once had a MAC SA exclaim "what a beautiful blush you have on....I almost thought you weren't wearing any....it looks so perfect w/your complexion! what is it?" and I had to explain it wasn't anything she had behind her counter...lol! for reference I am LLL/hazel/brunette and wear Chanel TI liquid foundation in Shell 1.5 or Cameo 1.0 in the winter....

on 10/22/2009 10:22:00 PM

I have been a long-time user and big fan of Nars powder blushes, until I took better stock of how they actually look on me. When I did, I realized they appear cakey; in many cases, in order to achieve a decent color payoff, I sacrificed realistic texture.

I recently switched from using powders to using cream or gel blushes, and, while the appearance was more natural, something was missing: glow.

Orchid Rose, like many Chanel blushes, has such a finely milled shimmer that it is inseparable from the color itself. I am using Orchid Rose very lightly, on top of my Bobbi Brown pot blush. This gives the gel blush a lift that it wouldn't otherwise have and it extends its lasting power considerably. In and of itself, it is the creamiest powder blush I have used.

Others have noted that the Orchid Rose color appears different on the skin than it does in the pan; I will extend this to say that it appears different under Nordstrom lighting than it does in my bathroom. Under Nordstrom's high fluorescents, Orchid Rose is true to its name; it is both orchid (a purplish cast) and rose, cool in tone. At home, the orchid tone is lost and the rose appears more muted. On the skin, I do not notice any sallow (orange/yellow) tones, which aren't acceptable on my skin.

I use so little of this product that the price doesn't bother me. I am not likely to run through it at any time in the near future. A small dab (I apply it with my fingers, as I would a cream) has sufficient pigment and payoff.

The name is a bit commonplace, unevocative of exciting experience or location, and it isn't one of Chanel's sexier blushes, but it is a superb workhorse of a blush for anyone wanting a more natural look. continued >>

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This is the perfect peachy-pink color for my Asian, NC20/25 skintone. I could never pull off pink blushes so I always used taupey, pink-brown colors (like MAC Buff) except they looked muddy on me by end of the day (I still love them for contouring cheekbones, though).
Orchid Rose gives me the perfect flush of pink. It's close to my natural blushing color on a chilly day... a rosy flush that's great all year round.
I think fair to medium-toned people can pull off the color; for darker skintones, it would look lovely and glowy, though the color may not show up that well. IMO, this color is pretty universal.
The shimmer in the pan doesn't show up on skin; it just gives you a nice candlelit glow.
Price is steep for a blush, but I bought mine on eBay, new. I'm pretty sure you can find similar alternatives to this color elsewhere.
The packaging is, of course, classic Chanel. Classy, glossy black rounded square compact with mirror.
Throw away the small brush that comes with it. It's so scratchy that when I swiped it onto the blush pan, it broke off small particles of blush and made the compact messy with pigment. Use a good brush like MAC 129 to apply. It is quite pigmented, but is light-colored, and it is layerable. Application is pretty fool-proof. I should know.
It's lasted the whole day so far.
This is my first Chanel makeup purchase and I'm looking forward to being a steady customer. :)

on 8/8/2007 9:59:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I got this in a swap - I can't actually shell out that kind of dough for one (in a gazillion) blush for my collection but this is very special...it's a beautiful color in the pan - a very natural, complex, earthy pink with shimmer. Goes on a glowy peachy pink and is superpigmented...hard to describe the color but looks gorgeous with a tan. Lasts all day too! Lurve! NC30-37/MMM/Oily-combo.

EDIT: I loved this so much that I got three more *is a Chanel Blush convert*

EDIT:: I hadn't worn this for ages but I was looking to try some stuff in my stash - this is my favorite fall blush - warm terracotta rose. Goes great with some of my berry lippies.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

Chanel Joues Contraste has the silkiest texture and most wonderfully pigmented powder blush. The colour and shimmer blends beautifully and creates glowy radiance to complexion. The black square packaging and velvet pouch gives very chic and elegant Chanel signature look. Very beautiful! ♥
(31.50/4g)
Brume d'Or: Shimmery caramel
Orchid Rose: Shimmery pale beige pink
Reflex: Shimmery golden peach

on 12/27/2005 5:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I love this. I went to the chanel counter determined to buy Reflex but it just wouldn't show on my DDD/ NC45 skin. I tried the Orchid Rose instead and went shopping with it. Honestly, it looked beautiful in every mirror. I think most people think that dark skin needs a highly pigmented blush to look alive and pretty but its not true - beleive me, i have tried enough garish colours to prove that. On the contrary, a subtle hue works best and looks oh so natural! I already have Fantasia and i adore it - everyone tells me i look so pretty when i wear it. Orchid Rose is tres sophisticated. I recommend!

on 11/27/2005 10:26:00 AM

This particular shade of Chanel blush attracted my attention at the Chanel counter recently. All of these dome-shaped blushes in the Joues Contraste group are beautiful, but this one seemed to just shimmer and glow under the lights at the display of testers. I took a cotton ball from the tester area and swept it across the dome of the Orchid Rose and tried it on my hand. Beautiful! Then I tried it on my face. It appears to be a warm pink-beige color, but then on the face these beautiful shimmers appear in all colors, a true multicolor sparkle. I think this could be used as an all-over face shimmer for evenings, if used lightly. It is neutral enough to be used on any skin tone. I think it can also be used as an eyeshadow for really pretty sparkle, maybe as a wash or over other colors. I don't think that any of the other Joues have this multicolor shimmer to them. I cannot believe it took me this long to discover this pretty blush. I like the dome-shape of the product, and at least Chanel gives a useable brush with it. The brush has a nice taper to it, not blunt like so many blush brushes. And of course, there is that beautiful compact. Now I want to try more of these Joues Contraste. I prefer this formula to the Irreels, which don't show up on either my blush brush or my face. I would repurchase Orchid Rose and hope to always have this in my makeup collection!