Rimmel Lasting Finish - Birthday Suit

3.5

Price: $

Price: $

on 4/12/2013 1:45:00 PM

This is one of Rimmel's "oldskool" shades- I am not sure how long it has been on the go but I know I had a tube back in the 90's, along with Latino, Asia, Heather Shimmer- those were also definitely around back then. I'm on a bit of a retro makeup-from-my-youth kick at the minute so I thought I'd pick up another for old times sake with the 3 for 2 offer on in Boots every so often.

First thing I want to say about this line is the fragrance- it's heavy. It's heavy smelt in the tube, it's heavy when you apply and it's heavy for some time wearing it. I think the scent is supposed to be cherry- but it's terribly synthetic. I think that might be a real deal breaker if you prefer your products to have less olfactory offence.

Going by the name Birthday Suit you'd imagine this to be a nude shade- and it sort of is, sort of isn't. First thing is that it is undeniably warm toned. It is a caramel/toffee type colour with super fine milled shimmer that is not apparent in the bullet but influences the golden frosted sort of look that it has on the lips. On me it is actually quite pretty but it isn't the sort of colour that is going to suit everyone.

The texture of Birthday Suit is pretty waxy- I certainly don't think that this is a bad thing, there are some HE products that are worse- it is more about whether or not that personally bothers you when it comes to how you like your lipstick to feel on. Remembering of course that you can always mix with balm or other products to change the texture if needs be. I found lasting time to be average to good on me (2-3 hours) so no complaints there.

To summarise this is going to be good for you if:
* You like wearing colours in the warm caramel/toffee family.
* You don't mind the heavy scent.
* You don't mind l/s with a waxy texture/feel.

If all those boxes are ticked then go for it! You might love it.

on 11/16/2012 4:34:00 PM

Pros:
Nice slightly darker than nude shade.
Applies easily and evenly.
Lasts slightly longer than your average lipstick.

Cons:
Slightly drying.

This is a great shade on my cool toned pale skin. It looks very natural and quite sophisticated. The staying power isn't great, but I only paid two dollars for it, so I'm alright with reapplying if I need to.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I would not describe this lippie as groundbreaking or HG, but I was sufficiently impressed by it. On me it's a beige peach nude, more light brownish without the pink undertone I usually get in most "nudes". It doesn't add much color to my face, but it's polished, slightly moist/glossy, and would go well with looks that want the main focus either on the eyes or cheeks. A good staple to have, even if I don't use it every day.

on 1/9/2010 1:10:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

This is a recent rediscovery for me, and I love it so much. It is a hard color to describe. It's not "nude" in the sense that NYX Circe is, a concealer-type creamy nude. Instead it's a very neutral beige-peach with shimmer. I think of it as nude because it looks good with more dramatic eyes. For reference, I'm a very warm PPP. I like this formula, and you can't beat the price.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

I really really love this shade, but I wouldn't call it a "nude". For me, that's a positive thing. I'm very fairly complected and I need some color on my lips to keep me from looking like a corpse.

This is a very pretty natural color; sort of a warm, peachy flesh tone. But don't cringe when I say "peachy". It doesn't scream peach. It's a very subtle peach tint, which makes it perfect for those who are warm, but pale. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find a nude that is suitable for pale skin that doesn't have pink undertones, so for me, this is a real find.

However...I took off one lippie becaue I'm not crazy about the consistency. It's very, very sheer; almost the consistency of a gloss. It really doesn't last long on it's own. I layer it over Rimmel's long wearing lip liner in Tiramisu and that creates a very pretty, long lasting effect.

All in all, for the price, it's a nice product and a beautiful shade. I almost always layer my lip products anyway, so no hardship there. Because the color is so perfect for me, I'll definitely purchase again.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I originally swatched this and thought that it was too shimmery/metallic, but then gave it another chance and I am so glad that I did! It is such a wearable, warm toned nude, with very subtle shimmer, that on my lips is barely noticeable.
The packaging is a bit on the plain side, but as the product itself is so great I'm not too bothered. I love the fact that it is long wearing, but doesn't dry the lips out. I think that the lasting finish range is one of the best drugstore lipsticks you can buy and I'll def. be checking out the other colours in the range.

on 11/24/2009 10:07:00 PM

I'm usually a lipgloss kind of girl but lately I've been itching to buy some nude lipstick because I've never bought any before. I was planning on waiting until Maybelline had a BOGO sale and buy their moisture extreme lipsticks. Waited for weeks and no sale :-(. Saw Rimmel on sale one day at Walgreen's for 50% off and thought, why not. Looked up the reviews at MUA and decided to give this a try. Picked this color out and I like it. My lips are really pigmented so this doesn't show up that great. My lips look like their original color toned down with a bit of gold shimmer. Looks really beautiful but definitely have to wear a lipbalm because I do find it to be a little drying. I probably wouldn't buy this again because I take forever to finish lipsticks and I love trying new makeup.

on 10/23/2009 10:03:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is a nice lipstick. Though I feel the color is better suited for warmer skin tones than mine, as I'm very fair. I can pull it off, though. I really like it if I've 'nuded'(w/ concealer or something) out my lips and put it on over that. Very pretty. And I love the scent! It's a little bit like Juicy Fruit gum. :)

I don't think I'd buy this particular color again, though.

on 9/26/2009 9:25:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Edit: I just read the review above mine, and "too ashy" is definitely the way to describe this. I think the ashy color in this is what makes me think that my skin looks too red when I put this color on.
~Every time I attempt to wear this lipstick, I end up wiping it off. I'm not completely sure why, but the color just doesn't work on me. I'm pale to light with yellow undertones (and since purchasing this I've realized I look better in rose to purple shades). This color makes my lips look too brown and really emphasizes the red in my skin. Not attractive in the slightest. I'm not a huge fan of the texture of these (but I guess they are not that bad for the price) they really don't wear well at all, teeth transfer is a definite possibility, and I cannot stand the smell. I do not want my makeup to smell like cake/candy, drives me nuts lol. Anyhoo, not for me, though I have to admit it looks really nice on some people, just doesn't work w my coloring.