Chanel Hydrabase Lipstick in Lune Rousse

Chanel Hydrabase Lipstick in Lune Rousse

4.2

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This is the best red so far for me. I apply straight from the tube, in a dabbing motion, no liner since I like it a bit blurred, then blot. On me, its almost a MLBB, neutral, but a tad on the wine side. I must have highly pigmented lips. I also love the rose scent, but I love rose flavored candies and tea, so this is very pleasant to me.

Disapointed to find this is discontinued, but luckily 3CC makes a copy. So I will be wearing this a lot, and probably be able to let go of many of my other red lippies that are nice...just not as outstanding as this one!

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

I saw this at the Chanel counter and thought the shade was beautiful, a deep neutral red. I had never tried Chanel, but thought I'd indulge myself, just this once. When I actually applied the lipstick, it didn't apply evenly, and went on dry (you'd think something named 'Hydrabase' would be moisturizing). It didn't work, even with lip balm on. It would flake within the first hour and make my lips peel. I ended up returning it.

To Read all 18 Reviews, Login or Join

Found the perfect lipstick! This has the perfect red color in it. Not too bold and yet red enough for that 50's look. Texture is smooth, but not too creamy. It is very pigmented. This does not come cheap but definitely worth the money. Its the l/s which will always be inside my bag. My only gripe, like all Chanel products it comes on its cheap black packaging.

A definite must have!

on 6/19/2009 12:47:00 AM

Possibly my HG red.

I'm an NW15, dark brown hair, light brown eyes. And I'm a red lipstick maniac.

This shade is on the cooler side of neutral, though I wouldn't say it had a whole lot of blue in it. But similarly I don't see any brown or orange.

I wear it full strength over liner-filled lips and don't think it's overwhelming in the least. With minimal eye makeup the look is darn sexy and striking.

It's not the perfect formula, and requires a little effort to work with. But if you're going to commit to red lipstick, you need to be prepared for sustained effort.

Also, I know I may be in the minority but I love the scent.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

The colour is beautiful, it's a deep neutral red, not cool, yet not brownish. Too bad, because it is extremely drying and goes on unevenly and I have to press it hard to get color.

on 11/21/2008 3:42:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I swatched this in the store last fall when I bought it--and in the store lighting it seemed to be more of a burgundy red. On me it is more of a prune-ish vampy red. While the coloring is flattering for my beige-sand-olivey complexion and definitely brightens the teeth too, I find the look a bit too harsh. The texture is satiny without being too creamy; the pigment is superb and the lipstick is longlasting.

on 11/21/2008 2:37:00 PM

If you're looking for a sophisticated red with a blue base (without ever looking purple or berry), this is the one! I've been looking for one for such a long time and an Angelina Jolie cover on a Vanity Fair made me crave for the prefect red again. It's a deeper colour than e.g. Chanel Le Rouge in Passion, which makes it more stylish and sultry. I had a hard time to find a pencil that matches this lipstick, but found a great one from Guerlain that works good with this.
As for the texture: it's soft but not too creamy and has very good pigmentation. If you use it with a liner and watch out a bit, you don't need too much touch-ups. However like all dark lipsticks it tends to settle in the creases of my lips during the day. But if you make sure your lips are in good condition before application and it you'r ready for compliments: this is your HG.
And oh yes: this kind of red also makes your teeth look whiter.

I'm a NC 30 Chinese and this is a beautiful deep red for me. Not too bright but more of a sophisticated red. It gives a lovely matt finish without being too drying. The colour stays well after food and drinks. I need only reapply this once thoughout a weding dinner I attended recently. I love the tube, it is so elegant that it makes whipping this out for touch ups cool. Just wish it wasn't so expensive.

on 10/2/2006 11:18:00 AM

This is such a beautiful color--a sort of burgundy, almost raisiny red, which seems to take on different tones in different lights. I love the creamy formula, too, although the faux-rose scent is obnoxious. Unfortunately, it is just too dark for me, no matter how lightly I apply it--I prefer Barcelona Red. I'm PPP with light brown hair. I think Lune Rousse could look great on cool-toned girls with dark brown or black hair.

EDIT: I've found a way to make this work--I put it on over chapstick--that's right, chapstick--higher end lip balm absorbs too much color. Over chapstick, and dabbing VERY lightly, the color is sheer enough that I can wear it, although it's still a tad too blue-red for me.Also worth noting: this color is now called Russet Moon in the US.

deep red with a hint of transparency that gives the color incredible depth. wears off slowly and very evenly. an absolute staple. even the gorgeous, classic scent complements the film noir character of this lipstick.