MAC Matte

MAC Matte

3.6

Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Isododecane, Cyclopentasiloxane, Polysilicone-11, Trisiloxane, Silica, Methicone, BHT

on 12/3/2016 11:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I have a love-hate relationship with this.
It's definitely marketed for oily skin but I'd say it's more for normal to combination skin.
I personally don't like these silicone gel types for oily or very oily skin because I find that they don't offer much if any oil control.

I noticed its now $22 for .85oz but when I was using this back in middle school it was $17 for .85 oz which irked me but then I realized the smash box photo finish is 1oz for $35 so it is still fairly inexpensive.

I'd say this and the photo finish(original which is silicone based as well) are pretty much the same, you only need a tiny amount. If you find your face is looking more greasy, sooner than you're more than likely using too much. These types of primers are easily used too heavily (which is where the hate in the relationship comes in cause some days I may put on too much)

Although, I don't find either of these primers help my foundation (I have oily skin) last significantly longer, only a tad. I just find these types just really help powder foundations glide on and not look so powdery and the silicone helps the color match better since powder foundations tend to look lighter till your oils mix in and help it oxidize so I don't have to wait around for my makeup to match since silicone is an emollient type of ingredient and stays on top of the skin and sort "wets" the powder to the color it would be if your oils had mixed with it.

With liquids i don't feel it makes much a difference....I think My skin stays matte maybe an hour longer than normal but it feels very oily/heavy, I'll look in the mirror surprised I'm not an oil slick even though I feel like I am. The silicone helps tone down the shine but the oil is still there and I can feel it. Since my oils are on my face, mixing with the makeup, it liquefies the makeup and makes it prone to transferring. It's the same with my powder foundation so if things touch your face or anything it can rub off or makeup you seem like a total cake face and effect the wear time in that scenario especially if you touch your face a lot.

For those with normal to slightly dry skin I think these types of primers REALLY help pro long your makeup if you tend to have issues with fading and patchiness due to drier areas. I'd recommend it for that since these silicone types have that selling point of helping to "create a smooth surface" or helping "foundation glide on"
Let's be real, oily skin... makeup tends to glide off, we need something that'll help it stick on, if anything lol.

With that being said I think it's a decent primer. For oily to very oily skin it's not that great. I prefer the smash box photo finish LIGHT (which is water based and you don't have to worry about it effecting water based foundation)
or the Becca matte primer which I believe has kaolin clay to really help keep your face matte but can ball up if you use powder foundation.
So, if you have slight to fairly moderate oily skin, this will work for you.
If you have normal skin, go for it.
Dry skin, it can work for you too.
If you're very oily, try to focus on your skincare more but if that doesn't help, just skip these clear silicone types in general

on 12/3/2016 1:21:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is really good for smoothing over big pores. Kinda amazing. The best I tried I think. After a few hours I do have to apply again, but I feel like it's worth it.

on 6/27/2016 10:07:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this product yet! It is one of my very favourite products, and it comes at a surprisingly reasonable price.

MAC is my overall go to brand of make up for pretty much everything, but when I found this hidden gem over 5 years ago I couldn't believe how much I loved it. I personally use this product as a primer, which it sounds like a lot of us here do but apparently it has many uses which is why it is listed a multi-use product.

I was first turned on to this product over 5 years ago, and haven't looked back. I rotate this with the Natural Radiance primer by MAC depending on the weather. This is really great in humid/hot weather because your foundation won't slide over top of it, and you won't have a heavy feeling on your face (or at least I don't). It's pretty much like velcro for your makeup . . . and it's great!

I put this over top of my daily moisturizer and under my foundation, which works well for me. In my opinion this is very similar to Arbonne's primer but at a much lower cost. They both have silicone soft feel to them and are kind of gel like. I feel, though, that for the money this product is definitely a better buy and more bang for your buck. Even if you don't have a MAC pro discount it is still only like $25 CAD to buy it (vs. $50ish for the Arbonne version) and I'm quite sure you will get roughly the same amount of product in each version.

What I especially like is that the tube for this product allows you to get ALL of it out, and you aren't wondering if there's any left that you just can't squeeze out. It also lasts for a really, really long time. Overall as a daily primer it works really well and I would definitely recommend it to everyone who wears foundation on a regular basis.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I use this as MU Primer under my liquid fdtn (my HG is MAC ProLongWear liquid!!). I cleanse, tone & apply MAC Oil Control Lotion (as moisturizer)...then I apply MAC Matte as a primer which it reminds me a bit of benefit porefessional in that it feels really like its '-cone-y' but I just face it that I have to carry blot papers & MAC Blot Powder w me in my bag for midday touch ups. It is a clear gel, u don't need but a half a pea sized amount for ur entire face, so it is economical which is something I can seldom say about MAC/any HE MU. It makes my fdtn last much longer, it fills in pores & minimizes the look of my crater pores. I just adore it. I think this is the best primer out there for oily skin! I will rebuy as long as they make this. I had been using cheap primers I won't rebuy those coz primer is somem u can't scrimp on (same w ur base & lippies u can scrimp on pretty much evthing else thou, but 1/4 of my MU is MAC!).

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I have repurchased twice already. I love this product. I use it to put over the areas where I have fine lines. It fills them in and keeps my Estée Lauder Doublewear from settling in my fine lines. I couldn't live without it!!!! It doesn't smell and it goes on really smooth. Thanks for another great product MAC!!!!

on 9/3/2015 10:20:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is the only primer I have ever used, and it probably has turned me away from primers in general. It' s supposed to mattify the skin, but i have sunscreens that can mattify better than that.

I have combination skin and used a small amount of this on my T-zone. I have tried it under my foundation and mixed with my foundation and it got me extremely oily and shiny within an hour both times. On my skin it feels really heavy and unnatural.

Later, I read a review that said that it can be used as an eyeshadow primer, so i used it like that. No luck there either. I got my eyelids more oily and my eyeshadow creased like crazy.

It has a nice hygienic tube and a decent price, but as a product it does absolutely nothing for me.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

My face got oily within a few hours of applying this.

on 5/14/2015 2:50:00 PM

It doesn't give me hours and hours of oil control, but then nothing has yet. It doesn't stop foundation from sitting in my pores completely, but it does it better than anything else has.

I don't quite understand what some people are saying when they say it feels heavy or greasy. I use a pea-sized amount over my whole face. It slides around like the silicone-based primer that it is, and turns into something like a powder-feel almost instantly. Under my MUFE HD, it buys me a couple more hours before I have to blot. Would repurchase.

on 1/1/2015 3:51:00 PM

This is one of the few Mac products I have repurchased many times, and have been using for several years.

I have normal/combination skin, and even my t-zone gets oily by midday sometimes while wearing this product, so I don't think it would be an absolute fix for gals looking for oil control.

I use a pea sized amount of this product mixed in with my MUFE HD foundation. I didn't like how heavy it felt under my foundation, but I absolutely love how this mixes with foundation! When you use the product mixed in with your foundation, it has the twin advantages of both decreasing the amount of foundation you have to apply daily, and it leaves your face feeling silky and smooth (plus it fills in pores).

A tube of this stuff lasts for months. It's a staple in my beauty bag. I wouldn't dream of using another primer. Other ones I have tried made me break out.

I bought this intending to use it under foundation and powder for every day as I have oily skin. I found, however, that it tends to feel very heavy when I wear it underneath liquid foundation or even powder for every day. I gave up on it for a while until I began to wear eyeshadow on a daily basis. This is a great eyeshadow primer. If I don't use primer, the eyeshadow creases very noticeably by midday but with this as a base, my eyeshadow stays fresh and pigmented until the evening. IT goes on very smoothly and makes my skin feel really soft. I just think it's too heavy for every day use on my entire face as I am prone to acne break outs.