MAC Cosmetics Retro Matte Liquid Lipcolour in Dance With Me

No Image

on 8/29/2018 10:22:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I finally found a red for my deep winter coloring which I can wear without feeling ott (like I did with Ruby Woo)... Dance with me is elegant, flattering, bright but not loud. Win!

GORGEOUS RED! Dare say - it's my Favourite red of all time and every time I wear this, I always get asked what I am wearing. Not all the MAC retro matte lippies work well (especially the darker colours are a little difficult to work with) but this one really does. Smooth application for this liquid lipstick and dries down well too. Highly recommend :)

Skin: Normal, Tan, Cool

Before I found this, I had spent an hour trudging around the whole make up hall in Selfridges trying on every shade imaginable. They were all fine, but none of them had that magic. There was just no spark between me and any of those other lipsticks. Then I went to the MAC counter and the make up artist brought this out. As soon as she started putting it on, I knew I'd found a beautiful one.

It's this gorgeous and mesmerising blue-based dark red with hints of plum. Really stand out, but not vampy in my opinion (certainly with my skin tone it works very well). It's so classy, but not at all boring. It's bold but elegant all at the same time. It's one for those who are confident wearing a statement lipstick. If plums tend to suit you, this red lipstick will too.

The packaging is good enough. It's a liquid lipstick. So it comes in a bottle shaped like a lipstick but actually applies like a lip gloss. It's nothing like a lip gloss though. It may apply that way but this is a true lipstick. It's staying power is incredible. It goes on smoothly and evenly, although I would exfoliate your lips and put on some lip balm before applying. I used MAC's Lip Liner in Cherry and then filled my lips in with Dance With Me.

Half an hour later I went for dinner, ordering oily Camembert balls as a starter, then oily fish and chips, then messy ice cream, and a cup of tea. I wasn't particularly careful eating or drinking any of this either. I expected my lipstick to have come off, at least to be slightly smudged somewhere, for something to have happened to it. NOTHING. It looked exactly as it had when I first applied it. If you like a lipstick that doesn't budge you will like this. I then came home and had a shower, washing my face and hair. I came out the shower expecting it to have come off and be all over my face. I'm serious - I looked in the mirror and it had not moved a millimetre. It was still RIGHT THERE.

So you'd think this would be difficult to take off when the time came to go to bed. Strangely enough, it wasn't. It came off with a piece of tissue paper and some lip balm once I pressed down hard enough and swiped it all off. I'm not sure quite how the chemistry of this lipstick works - somehow making it unbudgable to oil based foods, ice cream, cups of tea, and a long shower - but yet comes off easily when I intended to take it off. Really weird. But good. A bit of a scientific mystery how that works.

The negatives are that it is a little drying, but not any more than most lipsticks. It doesn't flake at all either. I can't really think of any other negatives, I wish I could so I could make this review more balanced. Ok, one negative is that unless you're going for a gothic look it's unlikely to suit those with very pale skin and blonde/red hair. However, I can see this perhaps working on some blondes when they have a tan in summer.

If you're on the olive/brown/black skin spectrum somewhere, I would try this and see if it suits you, because there's a good chance it will. Especially if you're cool toned. Another little tip - if you put a dab of vaseline in the middle of your top and bottom lip with this lipstick on then your lips will look like an ACTUAL JEWEL. Serious.

If I had to sum this colour up in three words, they are - regal, bold, glorious.