Maybelline Colorsensational Rebel Bloom Lipstick - 720 Power Peony

No Image

4.5

Finally a barbie lipstick that doesn't look ridiculous on me.

Power Peony is a bright fuschia with purple undertones. I've always wanted to rock a barbie pink but felt that my cool toned pale skin clashed with most bright pinks. But I find that this light pink has just enough purple undertone to make it unique and flattering on me. Unfortunately the purple undertones are difficult to capture on webcams (especially back in 2015 when this came out). Most swatches online do not do it justice, making it look like a common boring bright pink when it's actually really different. Gotta give Maybelline credit for making a line of bright pinks (part of the Rebel Bloom Collection) that can flatter a wide array of undertones. It's definitely impressive for a drugstore brand.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Like the rest of the Rebel Bloom line, this is a rather heavy-feeling lipstick to me. I can definitely feel it sitting on my lips, which is not the most comfortable feeling.

Power Peony is a light, cool-toned pink, though not quite as lavender as Pink Pop from the Vivids line. This bold light pink lip is trendy right now (thanks Nicki Minaj) but not everyone can pull it off and I'm not sure whether I can. Power Peony looks more flattering on me than Pink Pop, though, it just seems to match my coloration better. On me, the color when first applied is okay, but looks a bit clashy with my overall light skin. But as it warms up or sinks into my lips or whatever it does, after I've been wearing it for 30+ minutes, the color seems to look more flattering. I've even gotten compliments while wearing it. I paired this lipstick with the Nyx lip liner in Dolly Pink. While I was able to get an opaque application without using lip liner (especially with blotting and applying a second layer), I think it looks a bit better with the lip liner.

Packaging of the Color Sensational lipsticks is a metal inner tube with a square plastic lid. The lids of these are clear plastic, and come in several colors depending on the color group, but don't always match the lipstick inside. All the colors from the Rebel Bloom line are a light purplish-pink. The plastic lid matches the lipstick inside this one pretty well, but I wish they were all a closer match to the color inside -- I can't quickly tell the difference between this and Rose Rush or Coral Burst if I have them all in my purse.

Like the rest of the Color Sensationals, this lipstick has a faint vanilla-ish smell.

I would probably not buy this particular color again, though it definitely works better than Pink Pop -- I bought both of them in an attempt to try out this trend, and while the colors are similar, Power Peony doesn't have the problems with streakiness that I had with Pink Pop. While l think it's fun, the bold light pink lip is not the most flattering look for me, which I'll readily admit.

Popular Lipsticks