Cover FX Mattifying Primer with Acne Treatment

Cover FX Mattifying Primer with Acne Treatment
Mattifying Primer with Acne TreatmentMattifying Primer with Acne TreatmentMattifying Primer with Acne TreatmentMattifying Primer with Acne Treatment

2.9

I used a deluxe sized sample of this primer for about 1 month and I really enjoyed it. This primer reminds me of Smashbox’s primer, which NYX has a more afforable dupe for. Anyways, this primer went on smooth and did not pill up and worked well with the foundation I was using (Tarte Rainforest of the Sea). It did not help smooth over pores, which is why I deducted 1 star. I was overall happy with this product, but I could easily buy something similar for a cheaper price.

on 4/6/2018 5:05:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Repeating one of the other reviewers for this product, a primer is only going to do so much for the appearance of your skin and levity of foundation - personally, I love this primer, it's a little on the steep side but keeps my super oily skin matte for hours and no others that I have tried have measured up - those of you have issues with application should try spritzing your face with a setting spray first (I use Cover Fx's Mattifying) and apply a small amount of primer (people tend to use too much product imo causing piling and cakiness) in a dabbing motion with a damp beauty blender and allow to dry before applying your foundation in the same dabbing motion, your makeup should stay put for hours - hope this helps :)

This primer felt good going on. That is important to me because I hate the way most primers feel on my skin. I didn't use this long enough to know if it helped treat my acne ( for me it's only a problem a week before my period). It did help reduce my oily skin but not anything major. I liked it but probably wouldn't repurchase

on 8/23/2016 11:29:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I picked up a little sample of this at the check out lane in Sephora. I was super stoked to try it because I've read great things about Cover FX and I know they have their blotting liquid stuff so I figured they must have oil control down!

I have acne on my chin and I really do think this has helped to calm it down a bit. Unfortunately I do not have acne anywhere else so I feel weird applying an acne treatment primer all over my face. So instead I went out and bought a tube of salicylic acid acne gel from clean and clear instead!

It goes on and feels like a normal mattifying primer, kind of like a more gelly version of smashbox's photofinish primer.

In my experience this product does not control oil or increase wear time of your foundation / makeup, which was very disappointing.

on 8/5/2016 12:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

It's a good primer but it's not perfect. If you're going to try this, I recommend getting the half-ounce mini travel size Sephora offers for $16, so that you can really test it before committing to a full-size tube that costs $38. I especially recommend the trial size for sensitive skin. You may need to use it every day for a week or two before you know whether it's really right for you.

PROS:

1. Does not clog my pores or aggravate acne.

2. Contains salicylic acid, a chemical exfoliant also referred to as beta hydroxy acid. In addition to speeding up cellular turnover, it has anti-inflammatory properties. It is frequently used in over-the-counter acne medications.

3. Foundations are less likely to oxidize darker when applied over this primer.

4. The formula contains silicones and hyaluronic acid for a skin-smoothing effect. Foundation is less likely to settle into fine lines.

CONS:

1. If my skin becomes dehydrated, and I use this primer, it can cause my skin to itch. My combination skin is oily through the T-zone in hot, humid weather, and then in colder weather it tends to dry out. I learned that I can only use this when I am oilier. When I'm dry, I have to remember to prep the skin with moisturizer because this primer is not moisturizing. It is designed to give oily skin a matte finish.

2. The thick, goopy, somewhat sticky texture doesn't work under every foundation. In fact, if you buff certain formulas over this, they can ball up, or wear unevenly. I noticed that on rare occasions my foundation appeared to have peeled off or rubbed off a small area of my face. This only happened to me when wearing this particular primer with some of my medium-to-full coverage liquid foundations. So I don't recommend buffing thicker liquids with a foundation brush over this one, and you'll have to try this primer with your favorite foundation before you know whether it's a good fit. I have good results when I use Fiona Stiles Matte Finish Concentrate and stipple it on with a damp beautyblender sponge over Cover FX Mattifying Primer. I set with powder and it lasts all day. The primer also works nicely in conjunction with Cover FX drops.

After using this primer regularly for a few months, I decided to try Laura Mercier's Blemish-Free primer, and found that it works better for me. The texture is thinner and more flexible - it works with many different kinds of foundation. If you don't get great results from this primer but still want a primer formulated to address concerns associated with acne, I recommend sampling Mercier's so you can compare the two.

INGREDIENTS:

-Salicylic Acid 1%

Cyclopentasiloxane, Salix Nigra (Willow) Bark Extract, Water, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Butylene Glycol, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Bis-Peg/Ppg-14/14 Dimethicone, Vaccinium Myrtillus Fruit Extract, Glycerin, Dimethicone, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cetyl Peg/Ppg-10/1 Dimethicone, Squalane, Phenyl Methicone, Saccharum Officinarum (Sugar Cane) Extract, Bisabolol, Caprylyl Glycol, Tocopherol, Dimethiconol, Phenoxyethanol, Peg-60 Almond Glycerides, Acer Saccharum (Sugar Maple) Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruit Extract, Enantia Chlorantha Bark Extract, Citrus Limon (Lemon) Fruit Extract, Phytosphingosine, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Ethyl Linoleate, Ethyl Linolenate, Ethyl Oleate, Carbomer, Silica, Polysorbate 20, Oleanolic Acid, Nordihydroguaiaretic Acid, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-1, Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7.

on 6/17/2016 11:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

By far one of the worse primers I have ever tried in my life. It felt greasy when applied to my skin. Once on, I would apply my back up and it would make up slip and slide. I could not get my make up to set right. Worse of, my face was super greasy before noon. I had to return the product. Don't waste your money on this product.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

For those of you that think a primer can perform miracles and keep oily skin matte, think again. A product can only do so much on it's own. Unless you are lucky and have found the perfect formula for your skin. I have oily/combination skin and battle with shine most of the day this primer does a good job of decreasing the need to blot or powder. It is another quality product from Cover FX that is kind to your skin, does not break you out and free of the inflammatory five. It is not going to cure acne, don't expect it to. But it should not exasperate it either. I have not broken out since using this. I alternate between this and the anti-aging primer depending on the condition of my skin at the time and am equally happy with both.

Makeup applies beautifully over this primer, absolutely no complaints at all. It is a bit pricey, but worth it to me. It is a high quality product and despite it's clear gel like appearance, it does not feel like the oily slippery silicone primers I've tested out (Smashbox...).

on 11/3/2015 10:35:00 PM

This is the only primer I've ever used up and repurchased. It does a decent job of keeping the oilies at bay but not completely. It does not break me out and definitely prolongs the wear of my foundation. Wish the cost was a little lower

on 10/21/2015 3:46:00 PM

Does nothing. Zilch. Nada. You may as well smooth air across your t-zone and hope it'll somehow magically work. Pores are still huge, nose and forehead still oily, no worse than before, but not even a touch better. A worthless product that is crazy overpriced. And such a good idea, too--I'm honestly disappointed, because a primer the contains salicylic acid makes a lot of "hey, why didn't anyone think of that before?" sense to me.

The only good thing I can say about this product is that the packaging is good. They stuck to the thin-spout tube, which works perfectly for products like primer where you only want to squirt out a tiny dot. Not reinventing the wheel, sticking with what's proven and works. This is pretty hollow praise, though, because the product is garbage.

on 9/20/2015 3:23:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I've been through 2 deluxe samples of this and it has separated every time. If I'm going to pay this much for a primer, I'd better not have to knead the tube every time.