Wet 'n' Wild Megashield Lip Color SPF 15 - That's Berry Beautiful

No Image

3.3

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

This color ended up being more red than I had hoped. Because of the SPF it does have a weird smell to it. I have to use lip balm underneath because it is a bit dry. I wore this for cinco de mayo and I got a lot of compliments. It's not really a color id wear every day. Or even during the day to be honest. It's quite dramatic. I've toned it down with a brown lipstick from wet n wild and I liked the way it turned out.

on 12/4/2013 4:29:00 PM

I saw some good reviews for the Megashield lippies so when Long's had a 40% off deal on the brand, I plunged. Boy, what a mistake. I bought this berry-brown color thinking I could experiment with berries for less than 2 bucks.

The packaging is not great because the top of the lippie sticks out so that if you are careless, taking off or putting on the cap will nick or mash the top of the lipstick.

The lipstick is described as light to medium but to me it is medium to full. When I put it on, there is an unpleasant, chemical-type smell that I really dislike. I can usually bear with lippie smells but this one is just unpleasant to me. It doesn't last long but still, it hits me full in the face when I put on the lipstick.

Applied very lightly by tapping the bullet on my pigmented lips, the color comes off as more berry-brown. Not a look I prefer. When applied with a heavy hand, the berry-red color comes through and it does look quite polished.

However, the lipstick is dry on my already dry lips so I definitely need a lip balm underneath.

Overall, I won't buy it again - both for the formulation as well as the color. Thank goodness I didn't pay much for this.

For reference, I have light-medium, yellow-toned East Asian skin.

Has Wet 'n' Wild always been this good? They're killing it these days, but then again, this is the first time in more than 15 years (high school) that I've purchased something other than glitter nail polish and my brow kit from them.

One thing right up front, though -- while the name of this lip color is "That's Berry Beautiful," I don't think it's super berryish in real life. In fact when I purchased it, I didn't realize that was the name. I was just going off the color I saw in the tube. I suppose it's kind of a currant color, but I usually think raspberries or blackberry stain when I think "berry."

These lip colors are 2.99 at my local Duane Reade, which is a much better price than most drugstore lipsticks. The packaging is kind of great, with the exception of the fact that the product doesn't swivel all the way down, making it very likely that you'll scrape some of the product off on the cap at some point. But the cap fits snugly and I love the ridged base to the tube -- reminds me of Clinique or Perscriptives lipsticks. The formula of this product surprised me -- the display said these were light to medium color payoff, but I would say these are definitely medium. You only need to swipe across your lips once to get great color, and the formula for this shade is smooth and moist. Felt like a lip butter going on, but much better color than any other lip butter I've tried. There's no scent or taste to these that I can tell. While the initial texture is very buttery, this lip color wears to a nice, light and comfortable, slightly powdery texture, though not drying to my lips. I've been wearing this product all morning (one swipe for each lip) and so far, though plenty of product has transferred to my water glass, the color remains smooth on my lips.

Bottom line: I love this! I'll be going back to find a nude, medium pink and bright red for myself in this formula.

Popular Lips Products