Neutrogena Shine Control Primer

Neutrogena Shine Control Primer
Neutrogena Shine Control Primer and Powder

3.3

Water, Dimethicone, Methyl Trimethicone, Silica, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Isododecane, Butylene Glycol, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Titanium Dioxide, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Sodium Chloride, Nylon-12, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Seed Protein, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Fragrance, Disodium EDTA, Silica Silylate, Sorbic Acid, Triethoxycaprylylsilane --- may contain (CI 77019/Mica, CI 77289/Chromium Hydroxide Green, CI 77510/Ferric Ferrocyanide)

on 10/13/2017 8:48:00 AM

*Controls oil in my t-zone = yes

*Reasonably priced = yes

*Convenient packaging = yes

*Easily accessible at lots of stores = yes

*Will I re-purchase = sadly no. I can't get over the grainy texture and I don't have the time to pat it in, wait for it to set and then brush grains off my face.

on 9/5/2017 9:15:00 AM

Okay, I hate that this has fragrance. But other than that, it works well for me. My skin is a major grease fest daily, even with so-called mattifying makeup and powders. But if I take a pea-sized amount of this and quickly pat it all over my face (DON'T RUB!), let dry and apply my makeup, I don't have to blot AT ALL. This is a miracle in and of itself. Get rid of the fragrance and it would be perfect. So far it has not broken me out, but if it does, I will definitely update.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Terrible. I'm throwing it away; it's that bad. Doesn't block shine at all. However, it Does not make dark skin look gray.

on 8/18/2017 3:17:00 PM

I usually like neutrogena products but this was absolutely terrible. I used this product with sunscreen and neutrogena acne control foundation and my makeup runs right off and it doesn't control oil at all. Putting it on there are sharp bits that scratch up my skin, and I feel like if I use a tiny bit, pea size, or more it's the same terrible result. I ended up throwing it out.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Still, can't for the life of me find a decent facial primer since Dior decided to d/c their Pore Minimizer primer. I'm what you would call extremely oily. Everything gets oily and shiny in just 10 seconds of washing my face. I'm tired of powdering and blotting my face, even in the dead of winter. I need a primer that will keep skin oil free ALL DAY but not make foundation look crackly and cakey.

Despite the poor reviews, I decided to try this primer anyway. Yes, it is gritty and has a slight grainy texture to it. Being NC40, the white cast wasn't a problem. I think people are just using too much perhaps? I use a 1/2 of a Lesuer pea size for my entire face. I will say that it does give average oil control. I was pleased with the level of control. I don't like my face to look completely matte but I also don't want to fry an egg on it. I struggle to find that youthful healthy skin finish. I would say this primer does help achieve that finish. However and this a BIG however, it does make my face, especially under my face, cakey. It makes the texture of my skin a bit haggard up close. Because of this, I'm returning and going to try the BECCA matte one next!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

BEST primer for oily skin!!! This primer comes in a tube that is 1 fluid ounce. It is white but I am fair skinned so I do not see a white cast left on my face from it. It does have a slight gritty texture so I PAT it on my face, not rub since I don't want to exfoliate and it works like a charm. It contains all of my oily t zone for almost 8 hours which high end brands have yet to do. It costed me about 10-12$ and I purchased it at Walgreens.

The tube claims to control shine all day with or without makeup, extends the wear of makeup, matte finish, and won't over dry skin or clog pores. Since I am acne prone, I have to be cautious what I put on my skin. This does not cause me to breakout or give me any rashes. I do not find the smell of this bothersome but it doesn't smell like roses. I work in a restaurant and this stuff holds my makeup up for quite a long time!!

on 8/29/2016 8:07:00 PM

This is the only primer that is actually effective in controlling the shine on my face throughout an 8-hour work day, and this includes high-end primers too. I have super oily skin that shows tiny droplets of oil from my pores within 30 minutes of washing my face. My friend gave me two of these four years ago, casually saying she bought too much of it. In hind sight, I think my t-zone was just super terrible ;)

It's a simple, no-frills sort of cream in a squeeze tube. It's super thin, and maybe not as smooth-feeling as some other primers. However, I like that because it doesn't interfere with any foundation you put on top of it. I think the active ingredient is rice starch, which is something that's used in dry shampoo to combat oily scalp too, and this primer is one of the very few that contains this. I only need a tiny pea-size amount for the whole face, so it lasts a long time. It's not the cheapest for a drugstore primer, but it's so effective for me, that for once, I don't really mind. I've tried various oil-controlling products to keep my face shine-free, from ELF to Rimmel to Smashbox, but this Neutrogena one is the best.

on 7/11/2016 5:23:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Yes I is a bit grainy but it is the best drugstore primer I have used. My skin is very oily and with this primer I'm mostly shine free for the whole day. I recommend this product.

I'm a bit surprised by the reviews on this primer because I have very oily skin and it is so good at controlling shine.
When I ran out, I decided to try the NYX photo finish primer, smashbox, and a couple others and I ended up going back to Target to buy this one.
Yes the texture is grainy but that serves a purpose, also you should be using a very tiny amount on your face not smearing it on like lotion.
I love this primer a lot, it's great when I'm not even wearing MU and I am writing this review because I think every oily skinned person should try it.

Like a lot of other reviews say, this has a super gritty texture. It honestly does help with my oily skin though, more than any other primer I've tried. But sometimes it dries out my skin so I switch over to a more hydrating one. But hydrating and mattifying are not for the same skin type unfortunately